PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Gloat

Jeff Myers
01-15-2007, 9:43 AM
So I'm down at my parents house at the coast for the weekend to put up some crown molding and a chair rail for my mom and dad. While I'm there
my mom asks if i had time to help one of their neighbors cut up a coupld downed trees, she's a widow and won't ask anyone for help. So i go to the lady's house and she let's me cut up the tree for her but one is a huge live oak(other a cherry) and my dad's 16" saw is having a heck of a time with it...she said her husband had bought a saw just before he passed away and said i was welcome to try it if it would help....boy did it!!!!
Well,,,after the work was done, she wouldn't let me leave without taking the saw as her way of thanking me,,,she said she'd never have a use for it nor for a box of tools that was just taking up space in her garage(her husband used to turn also). The tools aren't HSS but hey, they'll be fun to regrind for whatever is needed. I tried to pay her for the saw and tools but she woudn't have anything to do with that. So as soon as I can,
I'll have to make her a couple bowls from the cherry tree i cut up for her.
So here's the gloat,,,one very nice saw, 15 gouges and a load of cherry to boot !!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2007, 9:47 AM
Great gloat! Nice of you to help her too Jeff!

John Timberlake
01-15-2007, 9:54 AM
Great. Always good to be nice to people. Sometimes it pays with goods or money. Always pays with the good feeling you get. Waiting the turning pictures.

Jon Shively
01-15-2007, 9:54 AM
Good gloat, but a great feeling at the end of the day! A few bowls and check on her from time to time will keep her smiling more than you. You know if her husband turned she will greatly appreciate any items from you. The heck with anything you got, great job on being available to help not knowing there was anything in it for you!

Charles McKinley
01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi Jeff,

It is nice to see a good deed work out well. Stop in and visit and help where she will let you.

John Miliunas
01-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Fantastic, Jeff! Simply proves out the theory of, "What goes around, comes around." (That's especially true for turners! [Pun intended!]) :) Nice of you to go over and help even before you got all the goodies. Now, go turn something nice for the lady! :) :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2007, 10:20 AM
The heck with anything you got, great job on being available to help not knowing there was anything in it for you!

Have to agree with Jon! Also, had to make your folks proud to have raised a son who is willing to assist others - just because it was (is) the right thing to do!

Congrats on your wood, new tools and saw. May you think of her each time you use them!

Tom Sherman
01-15-2007, 10:33 AM
great gloat Jeff and done in the right spirit too.

John Hart
01-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Now don't you just feel guilty taking advantage of that situation.

:rolleyes: Ok...Probably not.:) Congratulations on what appears to be a wonderful thing for both of you.

Pete Jordan
01-15-2007, 12:19 PM
It doesn't get much better than that!

Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2007, 1:04 PM
Nice gloat Jeff. Also mighty nice of you to help the lady. I think a couple of bowls would be a nice gesture.

Ernie Nyvall
01-15-2007, 6:51 PM
Good story Jeff, and a great gloat. Congrats

Jim Young
01-15-2007, 7:53 PM
A good deed was rewarded.

John Shuk
01-15-2007, 7:56 PM
You do good things and good things come back!
That saw is a gloat at full retail!
Use it in good health