PDA

View Full Version : Basement Update: Massive Progress!!

Dan Mages
01-15-2007, 9:26 AM
Massive progress on he basement. The drywall work is complete, the walls and ceiling have been painted, and the Jatoba engineered floors are down. I hope to have the tile work and possibly the cabinets done this week with the trim this weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/Basement%20work/100_1802.jpg

The Jatoba flooring has a very tight and straight grain. Is this normal, or could this be quartersawn?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/Basement%20work/100_1804.jpg

Jim Becker
01-15-2007, 9:40 AM
Looks wonderful, Dan!

John Miliunas
01-15-2007, 9:43 AM
Lookin' good, Dan! Floor looks great and, the Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) does indeed, for the most part, have very straight grain. Strong and stable, not to mention very heavy! :) :cool:

John Timberlake
01-15-2007, 9:43 AM
Looking great. I hate doing dry wall. Going to be nice when you finish.

Dan Mages
01-15-2007, 9:48 AM
Looking great. I hate doing dry wall. Going to be nice when you finish.
Trust me when I say that I hate drywalling too. Now that it is painted, I can see all of the imperfections in my sanding. If I find the time, there will be plenty of patching and refining.

Lookin' good, Dan! Floor looks great and, the Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) does indeed, for the most part, have very straight grain. Strong and stable, not to mention very heavy!

Luckily, the floor has a 1/8" wear layer which really cuts down on the weight. It is a sandwhich of cheapy pine, some sort of green MDF type material, and the wear layer. It was a simple lock down and tap together job. pretty easy!! now to figure out what to do with the scraps...

Dan

Anthony Anderson
01-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Looking good Dan. Does the plan remain to make this a theater, or did you scrap that idea? Keep up the good work, looks like you are on the downhill swing. Regards, Bill

John Miliunas
01-15-2007, 10:33 AM
now to figure out what to do with the scraps...

Dan

"Inlay" them into some pieces of solid, contrasting wood squares and use them for coasters; Larger squares for pan/pot trivets. If you have enough leftovers, do a closet, ala Euro style. (For whatever reason, I note that many Euro houses have wood floors in the closets, even if the material in the main room is hard goods or carpet!) :) :cool:

Dan Mages
01-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Looking good Dan. Does the plan remain to make this a theater, or did you scrap that idea? Keep up the good work, looks like you are on the downhill swing. Regards, Bill

That has been scrapped as I am getting married in 4 months and two weeks (approximately) and will be selling the house. No need to get too fancy if I wont be there to enjoy it.

Dan

"Inlay" them into some pieces of solid, contrasting wood squares and use them for coasters; Larger squares for pan/pot trivets. If you have enough leftovers, do a closet, ala Euro style. (For whatever reason, I note that many Euro houses have wood floors in the closets, even if the material in the main room is hard goods or carpet!) :) :cool:

Coasters are a great idea, but I don't know about the trivet. Do you think the wood can handle the heat without burning?

Matt Meiser
01-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Use the excess to make a table that matches the room. Use something like maple for a frame and fill in the top with the excesss flooring.

Don Bullock
01-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Use the excess to make a table that matches the room. Use something like maple for a frame and fill in the top with the excesss flooring.

I ageee on the table idea, or the tops of some "built in" shelves. Something like that would add to the "re-sale value" since you plan to sell the house soon.

Dan, that looks great. When I first saw the pictures, I thought it would be perfect for a wood working shop. Sorry you have to sell it now. Congratulations on your upcoming marrage.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-15-2007, 4:36 PM
That in a cellar??
You must have a very dry location.

My water table is about 150 feet above my roof.

Dan Mages
01-15-2007, 7:44 PM
That in a cellar??
You must have a very dry location.

My water table is about 150 feet above my roof.
The cellar is only 4 ft below grade and has a door to a patio and the backyard. There is a risk of flooding in any basement, but it wont be my problem pretty soon. ;)

Dan Mages
01-15-2007, 7:49 PM
The cellar is only 4 ft below grade and has a door to a patio and the backyard. There is a risk of flooding in any basement, but it wont be my problem pretty soon. ;)

I ageee on the table idea, or the tops of some "built in" shelves. Something like that would add to the "re-sale value" since you plan to sell the house soon.

Dan, that looks great. When I first saw the pictures, I thought it would be perfect for a wood working shop. Sorry you have to sell it now. Congratulations on your upcoming marrage.

That gives me an interesting idea. Do you think this stuff is stable enough to be used as a countertop? I will need something for the bar...

And thanks for the congrats. On another topic, are you going to Cruisermania in AZ this year? Steve throws one heck of a party. I went last year and had an amazing time.

Dan

Bruce Page
01-15-2007, 8:40 PM
Looks great Dan. All those floods should really light up the machines! :D

Don Bullock
01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
That gives me an interesting idea. Do you think this stuff is stable enough to be used as a countertop? I will need something for the bar...

It should be great for a bar top though I've never used it for that.

And thanks for the congrats. On another topic, are you going to Cruisermania in AZ this year? Steve throws one heck of a party. I went last year and had an amazing time.

Dan

Dan, it's a small world. It's nice to meet another PT Cruiser lover who's on here. I sure wish that I could go. It is a great event that I encourage every PT Cruiser owner to attend if possible. I know that Steve does a super job. He and I've had a lot of good times and some bad, but he's a great guy. That weekend our local basset hound club has its specialty show (bassets only) and we need to support the club, maybe even win something too. Yes, we've gone to the dogs. They are our first priority.

Sorry for those who don't know what we are talking about.;) :D

Chris Bolton
01-16-2007, 1:07 PM
It should be great for a bar top though I've never used it for that.

I don't really know that using a "floating" floor would really work as a bartop, although you if you trimmed it out so that it could expand/contract somehow, it might work out. I've never tried it but it might work. Give it a whirl if you've got some leftovers.

I love the look of that floor. I've installed a similar wood, succapira, but it was 3/4" T&G, at a friends place as well as my brother's kitchen and it looks like a mahogany boat deck when installed :). It looks great but it isn't particularly fun to work with as it splinters and shatters easily and I dug out more than a few painful splinters.