PDA

View Full Version : What's your ultimate "onsite" tablesaw?

Todd Burch
11-20-2003, 6:51 PM
I'm probably going to buy another tablesaw tomorrow for onsite work. I have a PM66 5HP with a 52" rip fence in the shop, all surrounded by a side feed and outfeed table that makes working with sheet goods manageable. However, for a big job I have coming up, I want something that is portable so I can take it onsite.

At this moment in time, I'm considering a PM Contractor saw with 50" fence with a router-lift do-hickey in the table. It has a 1.5HP (18 amp) TEFC motor, single belt drive.

I want a saw that is left tilt (that's what I'm used to), will hold a fully stacked dado blade, can be wired for 110 or 220, with full depth miter slots (1 each side of the blade) and a good fence, that I can load in the truck by my lonesome self. (The 50" fence might be tricky - 30" would be more manageable...) I would prefer to not have web-style extension tables (haven't seen the PM yet to know if it has these).

I'll construct knock-down outfeed / side feed tables on site. I'll outfit whatever saw I get with a Forest WW2 blade. A direct drive saw is not an option - I don't like how the blade wobble when they are first started. (Now, if someone invented a soft-start direct drive - I might consider it...)

So, what would you get? What would you advise me to get? Budget money is there. I'll be shopping tomorrow.

Thanks for any of your thoughts that you might offer. Remember, this is YOUR opportunity to spend MY money!!

BTW - my portable Makita is going up for sale later this evening.

Todd.

Mike Laing
11-20-2003, 7:55 PM
HI Todd,

Eventhough you said you don't want a direct drive saw my onsite saw is a Rigid TS2400 with a mobile stand and it is great for construction work. It will rip 25" has an excellent fence and will hold a full set of dado blades. A long time ago I had a delta contractor's saw that I really liked but that thing was 250lbs.

HTH
Mike

John Weber
11-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Todd,

The bench top DeWalt looks nice, unless you are at a job for several weeks, a contractor saw seems like a lot to move and store. While the thought of a $700 circular saw makes me cringe, the Festool system seems to get very high marks.

John

scott spencer
11-21-2003, 7:20 AM
Hi Todd - The GI is a very similar saw to the PM64a, but I don't think you can get it with a router lift...but I'm sure one could be added with the money you save.

I'm not a huge Ridgid 3650 fan, but it does come with a 36" rip, which might be a good compromise between 30 and 52". At a job site though....one good thump with a two-by, and that aluminum fence and rail system will never be the same.

Steve Roxberg
11-21-2003, 8:48 AM
What about the Festool circular saw with the table. I'm considering getting that instead of a SCMS for use in the shop to cross cut long boards and such.

Richard Hash
11-21-2003, 12:49 PM
However, for a big job I have coming up, I want something that is portable so I can take it onsite.

What kind of Texan are you anyway? ;) You just need to bulk up a bit, eat some Wheaties, then tuck that PM66 under your arm... :D

Check your attic, you probably have a couple of saws stashed away up there (I've been in his attic folks, it's qualified for a state grant to be excavated one day)

One question - why the 110v and 220v? Is this so you can tap into a dryer plug at residential sites?