PDA

View Full Version : A newbie's introduction!

Danita Clark
01-15-2007, 6:33 AM
Hello, I'm Danita Clark, a newbie around here! I have just joined up and live near Perth, Australia. I enjoy woodworking, and am 14 years old. I have made a few things out of wood, one of these is my Solid Jarrah desk - see the photos below. I enjoy drawing as well, so it has a drawing board in the center. My Mum and I designed it... (Mum also helped me make it of course as it was my first woodwork project!;) ) Mum and I are in the middle of making my wardrobe for my new room (my parents are owner building our house). I’m a Christian home-schooler, have just completed Year 10, and am starting College this year. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's work!

Cheers,
Danita:)

Joash Boyton
01-15-2007, 6:38 AM
Welcome to SMC Danita! Hope you enjoy your stay!! Love the desk!! (course, it looks better in real life;))

Joash

Danita Clark
01-15-2007, 6:46 AM
Thanks Joash!!:D
I'm sure I'll be able to learn heaps from everyone off here!!

Danita

Hans Braul
01-15-2007, 6:56 AM
Wow Danita! That's a great desk and you should be really proud of it. Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Hans Braul

Doug Shepard
01-15-2007, 7:04 AM
Welcome to SMC. I sure wish I was doing work that nice when I was 14 (or even 34). Looks like you've got a good head start on becoming a great woodworker. Keep the project pics coming.

John Bailey
01-15-2007, 7:53 AM
Nice desk Danita. You and Mum did a great job. We'll look forward to seeing more of your work.

John

Kristian Wild
01-15-2007, 8:37 AM
Hi Danita, that desk looks great! By the looks of it maybe you'll be answering questions for some of us here.

Kris

Dennis Peacock
01-15-2007, 8:45 AM
Welcome to SMC Danita. Beautiful desk and a nice intro. Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay. :D

John Timberlake
01-15-2007, 9:48 AM
Welcome to the Creek. That is a very nice desk. Can't wait to the see the wardrobe. And how about some pictures of the house as it gets built.

Dan Gill
01-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Welcome, Danita. The desk looks wonderful. I couldn't have done half that well at 14, or at 24. Maybe at 44. :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy your journey here at the Creek.

Don Bullock
01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the "Creek." You are very talented in woodworking. I'm glad to see that you and your Mum work well together. That's very important.

Pete Harbin
01-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Fantastic work Danita! How fitting that your first project is a desk. I foresee much studying happening there as you enter college...and hopefully, we'll all get to see the projects that are drawn there! :)

Pete

Bryan Somers
01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Welcome Danita and a very nice first project. You will find lots of good people here that are more than willing to help with advice and share ther knowledge.

Many years ago I visited Perth when I was in the Navy. I remember a very beautiful city and met some super nice mates down there.

Jesse Thornton
01-15-2007, 1:04 PM
That's some fine work, Danita!
I wish I had gotten into woodworking when I was younger. I didn't have any first hand exposure to it until I was well into my twenties. I think such a great pasttime might even have kept me out of some of the trouble I got into!;)
Look forward to seeing more of your projects.

Ron Brese
01-15-2007, 1:20 PM
Danita I was looking at a cross stitched sampler above the mantle in my house that was done by a 14 year old girl in 1836, as I was looking I was thinking about how these days kids don't pursue these type of decorative arts anymore, well when I saw your post it restored my confidence that somewhere people of your age are pursuing good honest works of craft.

Thank you,

Ron Brese

Dan Forman
01-15-2007, 4:43 PM
Welcome Danita, looks like you are off to a fine start.

Dan

Danita Clark
01-15-2007, 7:53 PM
Wow!!! Thanks a lot for all the replies everyone!!:)

Okay, I'll put some photos of our house on here sometime. At the moment Mum and I have been flat out tiling. We're just finishing off the living/dining area. All layed on the diagonal. We're having heaps of fun!

Yes, definitely a lot of studying happening at my desk!:) ...And I'll have to get my act together and finish the bull I've started drawing!:rolleyes:

Well, thanks again all of you. I sure wasn't expecting that many replies when I woke up this morning!!!:D

Cheers,
Danita

John Miliunas
01-15-2007, 9:21 PM
Danita, first of all, Welcome to the Creek! Lots of knowledge and great folks visit regularly! :) Secondly, I can't wait to see some more of your projects! That desk is outstanding. I'm thinking that woodworking is in your blood! Keep up the great work. :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
01-15-2007, 9:29 PM
Welcome Danita. That desk is fantastic. Keep up the good work.

I have a friend down under at the present time. He's in, or around Busselton, which I think is on the left coast and south of Perth. He's coming back stateside in a couple of weeks, but wants to return to live and work.

Great to have you here.

Karl

Jim Becker
01-15-2007, 9:36 PM
VERY nice work, Danita! And welcome to the 'Creek!