PDA

View Full Version : Rust Hunting in Central Pennsylvania???

jonathan snyder
01-15-2007, 2:47 AM
Hi folks,

I'm going to be in central Pennsylvania next week visiting family. I'll be in the Sunbury, Harrisburg, & York areas. Any of you PA Creekers have any suggestions on places to look for old tools? I interested in looking for planes, chisels, and a nice tenon saw. The old tool scene in AK is non-existent!

Thanks
Jonathan

Ryan Cathey
01-15-2007, 3:18 AM
Being close to the major production sites of many a great tool maker I wouldn't be surprised if you found many nice tools in flea markets, antique malls/stores and even yard sales. Like i said PA being in such close proximity you'd probably find these places quite readily and in high density. Good luck!

-Ryan C.

Martin Shupe
01-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi folks,

I'm going to be in central Pennsylvania next week visiting family. I'll be in the Sunbury, Harrisburg, & York areas. Any of you PA Creekers have any suggestions on places to look for old tools? I interested in looking for planes, chisels, and a nice tenon saw. The old tool scene in AK is non-existent!

Thanks
Jonathan

Perhaps Bill Grumbine will chime in with the location of the "tool barn". Prices are not cheap, but not unfair, either. If he does not see this thread, then PM him.

James Carmichael
01-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Hey Martin,

Any good rust-hunting grounds in our N. TX area?

Martin Shupe
01-15-2007, 1:22 PM
James,

If there is any place to rust hunt in North Texas, I am not aware of it.

There is a place that sells old tools somewhere around Dallas, called "Dowd's Tools". I have not been there yet, but it is on my list of things to do. I think if you go to one of the "other" forums, (Woodnet), you can do a search and find info on them. He does an open house once a year, but I have always been at work, at least so far. I am told he is a very interesting man with lots of neat stuff for sale.

Wes Bischel
01-15-2007, 1:29 PM
Jonathan,

Adamstown has a lot of antique dealers, and Rennigers has a flea market on Sunday AM (everything is open on Sunday AM, only a few open on other days.) There is also another outdoor market a bit further south. I'm not sure if there will be any great deals at the indoor vendors, but if you get there early (6 AM) and hit the outdoor vendors, you should be able to find some gems. There are a lot of other dealers around, this is just a large mass in one place. Too bad you won't be here in summer - Shupps Grove is open and has some tool dealers there.

The area is easy to get to - exit #286 (Reading/Lancaster) off the PA turnpike. Or across Rt30 to 222N to the Adamstown exit (also the turnpike entrance).

I'm sure there are others in the Harrisburg area, I'm just not familiar with them.

http://www.renningers.com/jadams1.htm

Happy hunting,
Wes

Aaron Kline
01-15-2007, 7:51 PM
Adamstown is good. HT eplace you're missing in Adamstown is called Shupp's grove. In spring and summer they have a big fest of antique dealers and a couple have good old tools.

jonathan snyder
01-15-2007, 9:41 PM
Thanks for the info folks. I'll be sure to post pics, if I come home with any loot!!!

Jonathan

Andrew Homan
01-16-2007, 7:13 AM
In Adamstown, check out the Stoudt's Black Angus Antiques Mall --- home to Stoudt's Brewery (excellent brew and German food). It's on Route 272.

This isn't rust hunting, but is a "must-do" if you haven't seen it already (recently renovated and excellent curation):
If you get to Lancaster, don't miss the Lancaster Cultural History Museum -- located in the old Masonic building at the central town square (next to the oldest continuously operating indoor farmer's market in the country). There is often some great furniture on display, quilts, etc. This is a very old Masonic building, too, with interesting ceiling painting in the upstairs chamber. (George Washington met there during the Revolution, and I believe it was the site of a Continental Congress meeting as well).
http://www.culturalhistorymuseum.com/

-Andy

Tom Hamilton
01-16-2007, 8:50 AM
Martin and James:

Hope this isn't a hijack, but a click on www.dowdstools.com (http://www.dowdstools.com) will get you to their home page. Looks like an active seller.

Martin, your mention led me to google and......

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, awaiting the big chill of '07.