PDA

View Full Version : The proof is in the pudding, I mean the shaving!

jonathan snyder
01-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi Folks,

Thanks to Derek Cohen for his great plane iron back flattening tutorial last week.

While waiting for some shellac to dry today, I decided to give it a try. I started with 80 grit sandblaster and worked down to 1500 wet/dry. The only thing I have finer than the 1500 paper is the micro abrasive I use to sharpen with, but I don't have much left so I stopped at 1500. I did a vintage Stanley #18 block plane iron, I vintage unmarked, #5 iron, and a LV A2 iron for my Stanley Type 11 smoother. The A@ blade was by far the hardest! I used the magnetic base for my dial indicator, but it barely sticks to that A2 steel, unlike the vintage steel.

Anyway here are a couple of pics. Not quite as good as Derek's, but after honing the A2 blade down to 0.5 microns, I made some nice shavings. That is probably the sharpest I have ever gotten that A2 blade.

Here is the #18 iron

Some nice shavings from hard maple. Walnut shavings would not even stay together.

Jonathan

Jim Dunn
01-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Wow Jonathan your avatar dosen't do you justice. You really don't have such big teeth:)

On the other note, that is one real nice finish ! And those shavings are thinner than my any I've ever been able to produce that wasn't dust.