PDA

View Full Version : Festool Guide W/Router Question...

Derek Arita
01-14-2007, 9:51 PM
When using a router on the guide rail, can one use the cut-away rubber edge to align the cut as you would with the saw cut?

Bob Marino
01-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Derek,

No, you would end up slicing that splinter-guard (rubber strip). The guide rail aids the router to ensure a straight, safe and accurate cut. Always give yourself at least 1/4" distance from the near end of the router bit's edge.

Bob

Derek Arita
01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Am I correct in assuming then, that everytime you use the router with the guide, you have measure the distance between rubber edge and bit cutter edge and line up your cuts accordingly? Is there a quick, accurate and easy way to set this up?

Kevin Johnson
01-15-2007, 1:31 PM
Derek,

I do it this way. If the dado is parrallel to an edge, I use a combination square to align the rail to the edge. I use the aluminum edge of the guide as a reference and along with the square, align it with an edge. I can then align the router to the line of my cut using the guide.

Jim Becker
01-15-2007, 1:59 PM
I align the rail parallel to the cut and then use the router with the bit installed to setup the router so the edge of the cutter is in the right spot. This is all done with the router unplugged, of course... ;)