PDA

View Full Version : Wood stove update (pics)

Ben Grunow
01-14-2007, 9:30 PM
Here is the stove I got from my friend. Some of you might be thinking "what kind of friend gives a gift that looks like that" but it is a great little stove and just needs to be wire wheeled and re-painted with hi-temp paint (I think- I havent taken it apart yet). Plus, looks are not important in my shop, especially for an occasional use item.

It is 12" in diameter at the widest and 30" tall. Any one ever seen one of these?

Not sure I will use it until I take it apart but I think it is pretty kewl, hope you do too.

Ben

Tom Hamilton
01-14-2007, 9:49 PM
Very nice and a fitting appliance for for for a shop, even with you new Heater!

Have you considered using electrolysis http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/electrolysis.htm to clean it up. Kills the rust and leaves a paintable surface. Phoso, (phosophoric acid) available at the Depot in the paint department, will also clean up the surface for a new coating.

But I wonder if it needs a paint job. Would the heat from use keep the rust off? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Thanks for sharing, Tom, in Houston, waiting on the big blue norther but running the AC in the meantime.

Ben Grunow
01-14-2007, 9:56 PM
I was wondering about electrolysis but need more info than that link provides such as what settings for charger and run time, etc.. Any one have any more info on this?

No real need to clean it up but it wouldnt take long with the wire wheel and some hi temp spray paint. THis whole process might take awhile since I already have heat and I am getting lazier and broker by the minute (read- "new baby due any second").

Thanks

Mike Cutler
01-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Hmm.... Ben. Is that a woodstove, or a coal stove? It looks a lot like an old coalstove I used to have, but much smaller. I'm not seeing an ash pan, or a shaker grate though?
It's kinda cool lookin'.

David G Baker
01-15-2007, 12:15 AM
I was wondering about electrolysis but need more info than that link provides such as what settings for charger and run time, etc.. Any one have any more info on this?

No real need to clean it up but it wouldnt take long with the wire wheel and some hi temp spray paint. THis whole process might take awhile since I already have heat and I am getting lazier and broker by the minute (read- "new baby due any second").

Thanks
Ben,
There is information on the Internet, go to Google and do a search. A tractor forum also has covered this in depth. A very rusty snow plow was done and it turned out great.
I think that a lot of the electrolysis rust removal process is trial and error. I do not think you have to worry too much about making a major error. A cheap battery charger will work and you leave the rusty item in the solution as long as it takes for the rust to be removed. The time will vary with the size of the item. You will have to check on the anodes once in a while if you use the system a lot because they will gradually erode.
David B

Chris Barton
01-15-2007, 7:51 AM
I think Mike is right. That's a coalstove, not a woodstove. The rectangular area just above the legs is a cooking area as is the very top. If you have access to coal it should work just fine.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-15-2007, 8:42 AM
I have done this on headers before. Took a couple of days to get all the rust off. I used a huge tub from Wally World and water, baking soda and a battery charger/long steel rod. Here's the link..

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

Once finished there was still surface rust, but it quickly came off with a wire wheel/steel wool.

I love old stoves like that, hope to find one someday for less than a fortune. Please post pics when you get it cleaned up and painted. BTW, spray high heat/BBQ paint will not stay on it very long regardless of the temp the can says on it.

Charles McKinley
01-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi Ben,

Look for a product called stove black. You will exceed the temp that any paint can withstand.

Tom Hamilton
01-15-2007, 10:20 AM
http://wiki.owwm.com/ow.asp?RustRemovalByElectrolysis

Hi Ben:

Sorry for the uninformative link. The one above is pretty thorough and will also lead you to the OWWM.org discussion forum. A search there will give you more info than you can digest in a day.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, with the AC off and the heat on.

Ben Grunow
01-15-2007, 9:25 PM
Thanks for looking!

Mike and Chris- The guy who gave it to me burned wood in it for about 15 years and he did not indicate any problems. The casting is about 1/4" thick if that is any indication? I was planning on burning wood as it is in abundance and it is free.

I was planning on a visit to my stove supplier to find out about a coating to make it look a little better.

Any (more) help would be great. Thanks

Ben

Mike Cutler
01-15-2007, 9:35 PM
Ben.

No worries burning wood in a coal stove. That's how I used to start mine. It should burn just fine.If you have any problems finding vent piping, or any other stuff. Google "Preston Trading Post". One of the largest wood/coalstove suppliers on the east coast. About 5 minutes from my house.

Funny story time.

About 15 years ago I was shopping for wood or coal stove. I went to the local dealer and they had this huge "coal stove" That looked like an Ashley side loader wood stove on steroids, about 170,000 btu's.
At that time there emmissions requirements on woodstoves, but not coal stoves.:confused:
I asked the lady that owned the store what size and type of coal that "coal stove" used.
She replied. " It'll take up to a 28" length of coal".;)

Ben Grunow
01-16-2007, 9:40 PM
THanks Mike. I have to tell you that my tile man is also named Mike Cutler. THe world is getting smaller every day.