PDA

View Full Version : Question re: proportions for raised panel doors

John Kairys
01-14-2007, 9:13 PM
OK, here's what I hope will be a very simple question that someone with cabinet building experience can help me with...

I'd like to build some raised panel doors for some existing cabinets in our den. The existing built-in frame is mahagany, and the doors are simply 3/4 mahogany ply. (House was built back in the late 50's). The doors are all 22" tall, and are either 12 1/2" or 19" wide. They will be flush fit with the existing solid wood frame, which is 1 3/4" wide above and below, as well as between, each door. There is a 1/4" cockbead detail which surrounds each opening.

The question is: What should the proper proportions (width) be for the rails and stiles?

Thanks in advance.

John

luc gendron
01-14-2007, 9:29 PM
Hi,

I always have 2 1/4 to 2 1/2'' rails and stiles. This give good proportions and will leave you with sufficient ''meat'' to mount european type hinges. If you are planing european hinges you will need either the compact type (Blum compact 33 with proper mounting plate) or a regular clip on hinge with a special mounting plate for the european hinge (Blum 100deg or more and mounting plate for face frame). See the following link:
www.hardwareattic.ca/en/BLUM_HINGES_23/BLUM_clip_on_hinges_75.html (http://www.hardwareattic.ca/en/BLUM_HINGES_23/BLUM_clip_on_hinges_75.html).

I get all my hardware from them!

Jim Hager
01-14-2007, 9:35 PM
OK, here's what I hope will be a very simple question that someone with cabinet building experience can help me with...

I'd like to build some raised panel doors for some existing cabinets in our den. The existing built-in frame is mahagany, and the doors are simply 3/4 mahogany ply. (House was built back in the late 50's). The doors are all 22" tall, and are either 12 1/2" or 19" wide. They will be flush fit with the existing solid wood frame, which is 1 3/4" wide above and below, as well as between, each door. There is a 1/4" cockbead detail which surrounds each opening.

The question is: What should the proper proportions (width) be for the rails and stiles?

Thanks in advance.

John

Welcome John, glad to have you here.

I build doors for lots of local contractors so I might have some insight into what you are wanting.

I use a style and rail cutter that has a 3/8" tenon and groove so I use a 2 3/8 width style and rail. That allows me to set the length of the rail at exactly 4" narrower than the total width of the door. Less math to think about. I used to use a style and rail cutter with a 7/16" tenon so then I used a 2 7/16" width for styles. I hope you get the idea.