PDA

View Full Version : Plunge Router

Paul Dombroski
01-14-2007, 6:44 PM
I'm in the market for a plunge router for hand held use. Does anyone have any recommendations?... Thanks,
Paul

frank shic
01-14-2007, 6:58 PM
the ridgid package from home depot includes both fixed and plunge bases. the fixed base even allows for above the table adjustment. it includes additional hardware like a centering cone and all the dust hoods necessary for router table use or hand held edge work. it plunges well and bit changes are fairly easy with the spindle lock. whatever you buy, don't forget ear protection and safety.

Richard Keller
01-14-2007, 7:06 PM
And believe me, when I say this, I hate to endorse the big Yellow&Black, (Their cordless has left me high and dry all to many times.) but ... The DW621 2 hp plunge router really is the best. It's small, light, variable speed, lots of power, easy to adjust; it has everything you want in a plunge router for free hand work.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
01-14-2007, 8:05 PM
The DW 621 and 625 are both good plunge routers for hand work. If you don't need that kind of power, I perfer to use my DW 618, it is a great feeling nice little 2 1/4 hP router. I bought the fixed and plunge base PK

Corey

Doug Shepard
01-14-2007, 9:18 PM
Dw621.....

Darl Bundren
01-14-2007, 9:55 PM
Take a look at the Bosch 1617 two base kit. You'd probably have to purchase part #RA1100 to make it Porter Cable bushing compatible, but other than that it is a sweet kit. Go to one of the big box stores that has the PC, Dewalt, and Bosch routers and see which one you like the feel of the best. I'd say these routers are probably comparable in many ways; sometimes it comes down to ergonomics or, in some cases, a price you can't pass up. Good luck with your shopping.

Neil Lamens
01-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Like the other DW621'ers..............it also has a DC hook-up.

Robert Mahon
01-15-2007, 7:44 AM
Don't overlook the Freud fixed/plunge base set. I recently bought the fixed-base unit with the "Free" plunge-base by mail-in promotion.

It is a mighty fine unit and replaced my PC Plunge used in my router table.

Also, the Freud Customer Service is outstanding.

James Carmichael
01-15-2007, 7:59 AM
Just about any of the multi-base 12-13 amp (rates 2 or 2 1/4 hp usually) packages are great.

The Bosch 1617 and DeWalt seem to be the consensus favorites.

I have a PC 7529 (a dedicated plunge) and Makita 1101 multi-base kit. I prefer the PC for handheld work due to the on/off switch on the handle.

For handheld template routing, such as with dovetail or box joint jigs or anything where the router must ride a narrow base, the fixed base is much easer to prevent tipping due to the lower center of gravity.

Chris Rosenberger
01-15-2007, 9:07 AM
I like the Dewalt 621. Out of all the routers sold today though, my favorite is the Bosh 1617.

John Kain
01-15-2007, 9:17 AM
I went with the Hitachi KM12VC with fixed and plunge bases. Works great.

pat warner
01-15-2007, 9:48 AM
The fun tool! (http://patwarner.com/dw621.html)

Jake Helmboldt
01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
The Tritons are getting a lot of praise, though I've only looked at them and not used them. But they have some very nice features, including dust port, and they feel good in the hand (at least mine). I would take a good look at them.

Plus, they can be used in a router table and come with above table lift and bit change features built in.

Pat (Warner), have you put your hands on these machines? If so, what was your impression?

Jake

Don Bullock
01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Take a look at the Bosch 1617 two base kit. You'd probably have to purchase part #RA1100 to make it Porter Cable bushing compatible, but other than that it is a sweet kit...

Dan, Thanks for the information. I bought that kit last year when the BORG had it on sale and was wondering about using it with templates. It seems that most templates are made for Porter Cable routers.

Pete Harbin
01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Paul,

I haven't purchased a new router in a while. My last new router was the Hitachi M12V about 2 years ago. That's a great router, and I keep it mounted in my table.

For handheld use, count me in the DW621 camp. It is just a great design all around. They can still be had for less than $200 on Amazon.

Pete

Dave Kettler
01-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I would go with the ridgid fix/plunge. It is on par with the dewalt and others . Like any tool you can get 1 million answers on a tool to buy. You have to take opinions in stride and go handle and check out the tools in person. Then you can take advice on what options to look for and extras to. It all comes down to personal choice so good luck.

Mack Cameron
01-15-2007, 1:10 PM
Paul; don't buy until you have seen the Triton 2 1/4 hp. It's a beauty! Busy Bee in Canada has them on sale for $199. I have 2 -- 3612 Makitas in LV tables, but I couldn't resist this little sumo wrestler, as well as Busy Bee's router table @ $ 125 reg. $189.