PDA

View Full Version : EZ Smart question

rodney mitchell
01-14-2007, 6:08 PM
I am close to tackling my first cabinet build. I am going to construct built in gun cabinets in a spare bedroom in my house. My question is, would it be worth buying the EZ Smart system and the PC 325? I have a unisaw with a 52" fence and a good Milwaukee CS. I hate to spend the money, but I will if it will make my cabinet building that much easier and/or more accurate. Thanks....

Rodney

Matt Meiser
01-14-2007, 6:46 PM
If you find it easy to handle large sheets on the TS, then no, you don't need it. I don't have the upper body strength and usually end up either a) hurting my back or b) scratching the sheet up on the corners of the TS. I find it much easier to lay the sheet down and move the saw. Unless there is some reason you can't, why not use your existing CS with the system?

Darl Bundren
01-14-2007, 8:28 PM
I own the EZ Smart saw guide, and I'd recommend it. For me, my accuracy increased when I break down sheet goods (as opposed to wrestling them up onto my TS even with a helper). Once I took the few minutes to get the system dialed in (antichip edge guides, inserting connectors) and squaring the square, every cut is simple. You probably wouldn't need the square if you were just completing the gun cabinet project, but it makes things nice if you use the EZ smart system more frequently.

Also, if you already have a circular saw, it might do just fine. I bolted the EZ Smart base onto my Dewalt CS, and other than some dust collection, I don't see how other saws would result in much better of a cut.

Good luck with the project.

rodney mitchell
01-15-2007, 4:25 PM
Hey thanks for the replies. I would like to try one out, but for now I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing.

Rodney

Jim Holman
01-15-2007, 6:40 PM
I have the EZ Smart. Great tool and I wish I had brought it 20 years ago. It gets a workout whenever I have to cut up 4x8 sheets or saw wide solid glue ups. I am still finding uses for it. Try the Makita 5740NB 7-1/4" Circular Saw. It weighs less than 8 pounds and is very quiet.