PDA

View Full Version : A Wood Bowl

John Hart
01-14-2007, 5:58 PM
This is a piece of Beech that I found in the neighbors woods last weekend. It was a crotch and promised to be full of figure. But much to my surprise, there was just a little bit of figure. This piece is 9" diameter and 6.5" high...sanded through 800 and finished with shellac as a base and lacquer top coat. It is pretty thin too. I didn't measure it but I could see light through it. Thanks fer lookin'.:)

Mark Pruitt
01-14-2007, 6:02 PM
Very nice form. I especially like the rim.

John Shuk
01-14-2007, 6:06 PM
John,
That is truly a classic piece.

George Tokarev
01-14-2007, 6:07 PM
Nice pot. Still doesn't look like beech as I know it. No reddish heartwood, form of the knot looks almost like bass, not beech.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2007, 6:12 PM
John.............The time you spent away from the lathe just seems to have thickened and gelled you turning talents! Great jar/bowl..

John Hart
01-14-2007, 6:18 PM
Nice pot. Still doesn't look like beech as I know it. No reddish heartwood, form of the knot looks almost like bass, not beech.

It's funny...When I started turning this thing, I paid special note that the ingrain contained the brown fleck....And thought to myself, "This should satisfy George ok". But in these pics, you can't see it. I don't get it. I guess I'll take a close up pic of the unfinished wood and post it here. You've really got my curiosity going.

Neal Addy
01-14-2007, 6:39 PM
Very nice form! I like the lip treatment.

Whatever wood it is you did it proud.

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2007, 6:43 PM
John beautiful bowl. I like the form and finish.

David Fried
01-14-2007, 6:57 PM
Very nice form John. I think the uniformity and color of the wood gives it a very tranquil feeling. You can see light through it? Impressive! Maybe you're ready for lamp shades.

Jim Ketron
01-14-2007, 7:37 PM
You Nailed that one John!
Beautiful form and finish!
love the creamy color of this HF:eek:

Frank Chaffee
01-14-2007, 7:42 PM
John,
Echoing others’ comments: “nice form”, “classic piece”, “Nice pot”, “Great jar/bowl”.

There is an element in your work that is deeply rooted in the human psyche. A “pretty pot”, it may be not, but that wood bowl evokes powerful images of pregnancy, nourishment, and the sharing and furthering of life.

Now I have drawn two volumes of M. Gimbutas from the shelf, and breathe deeply our heritage.

Thank you,
Frank

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2007, 7:49 PM
Amazing piece John! Very different color, love the round form and can't believe how thin you turned it. Very nice work!

Corey Hallagan
01-14-2007, 7:59 PM
John it may not be full of figure but it definitely is a pretty little bowl. The shape is real nice. I like it :)

Corey

John Hart
01-15-2007, 6:41 AM
Thanks everyone. I really enjoyed turning this piece. I was going to make it a hollowform with a small opening but decided on the larger opening to see if I could see more figure on the inside. Nope. But it was a good opportunity to give the power sanding a good run.

John.............The time you spent away from the lathe just seems to have thickened and gelled you turning talents! Great jar/bowl..

Just before I started our move to the country, I made a decision to take all the lessons I learned from all my screwing around, and apply them once I got the lathe set up. 6 months of no turning....nothing but thinking. If anything...it got rid of the "I gotta hurry and finish this piece" mentality. Still....so much to learn though.:)

Keith Burns
01-15-2007, 8:07 AM
John, this is one excellent piece. Great form and finish. I too, like the simplicity of the wood. Great job !:) :)

Bob Hallowell
01-15-2007, 8:09 AM
John,
IMO that's one of the nicest peices shown lately wonderful work.

Bob

Tom Sherman
01-15-2007, 9:56 AM
John I have to agree I like everything about it too. Very nice work and whatever wood it is is nice too.

Mark Cothren
01-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree with all the others... this is an excellent turning - great work!

John Miliunas
01-15-2007, 10:40 AM
I love the form and the finish looks "soft". The bowl just begs to be held! Beautiful work, John! :) :cool:

John Hart
01-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Y'all are going to make me blush...:o<--See?

Hmmmm...I usually reserve that for when I'm caught doing something that I shouldn't do.:rolleyes: Anyway, thanks much. Hopefully it doesn't crack or warp badly and I can donate it to the auction at the end of the month.

Mike Ramsey
01-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Very nice bowl John! Love the shape & finish...looks like it
should have Gold Fish in it!

Ed Scolforo
01-15-2007, 3:13 PM
Beautif form, John, and enviable thickness!
Ed

Jim Becker
01-15-2007, 3:32 PM
"Creamy"! Very nice, John. Good stuff.

Glenn Hodges
01-16-2007, 8:52 AM
John, I do like this design. The lines just grab one's attention.

Rich Stewart
01-16-2007, 9:02 AM
That's a great one John. I like the rim especially and how the whole thing blends into the base. I know how nerve wracking it is when you are getting thin, you know you are getting thin, and you know that the slightest little boo-boo is going to turn it into confetti. Way to go! Beautiful piece.

Rich

Bill Boehme
01-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Very beautiful work, John. With the little brown flecks, I would have guessed birch. Nevertheless, photographing this beautiful piece sitting on your chantilly lace smock just makes this piece dance.

UPDATE: Second thoughts on the wood -- I saw the close-ups on your other thread and it is not birch. I do think that a chantilly lace smock is perfect for those special turning occasions.

Bill

Rich Stewart
01-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Chantilly lace smock? Care to model that for us John?

John Hart
01-16-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry guys, no modeling today. My Chantilly Lace Smock is at the cleaners. I got some...umm...stuff on it...and it is a fright.:rolleyes:

But thank you all for your kind thoughts. It is quickly becoming my favorite piece and still has not shown a warp.....yet.

Skip Spaulding
01-16-2007, 5:22 PM
GREAT BOWL, fits real nice with the lace! Skip

Christopher K. Hartley
01-16-2007, 6:24 PM
Hey John, I'm a bit late on the trigger again but I like the form of this bowl especially the lip. Color is nice and being thin gives it that somewhat delicate look. Good work Mr Hart!!:)

Ernie Nyvall
01-16-2007, 7:32 PM
It was a crotch and promised to be full of figure. But much to my surprise, there was just a little bit of figure. ]

... but it has a nice figure. Good going John. I really like it.

Neal Addy
01-16-2007, 8:32 PM
John, I saw in one of your other posts that you turned this entire bowl with a skew. Did I read that correctly? Do you use it for cutting or as a scraper?

The reason I ask is that I'm horrible with a gouge. Never use it. I was interested to see that someone else out there uses a skew on a bowl. <:eek: horrified gasps!>

John Hart
01-16-2007, 8:47 PM
Yes that's right Neal. With the exception of the tight corner under the lip...and the initial roughing, I did this entirely with the skew. I don't use it as a scraper, as that just seems to create the fuzzies. I keep it sharp all the time. As a rule, I use the skew on all outward curves.

I even did the majority of hollowing with the skew on this one. The reason for that was that the wood weight was nearly exceeding the capability of the chuck, I didn't have a steady rest to support the weight, and my hollowing tools were causing too much stress on the grip. So I decided to hollow it with the point of the skew, just a little bit at a time. Took forever, but once I got it down to the thickness I wanted, then I smoothed the inside with the Hollowmaster and the scraping disc.

Neal Addy
01-16-2007, 8:59 PM
You can't argue with results. Glad to know I'm not the only one guilty of breaking the "thou shalt not use the skew on a bowl" rule.

Ernie Nyvall
01-16-2007, 9:15 PM
Yes that's right Neal. With the exception of the tight corner under the lip...and the initial roughing, I did this entirely with the skew. .

A skew?????? Now I'm totally impressed. I need lessons from you man.

John Hart
01-17-2007, 6:21 AM
A skew?????? Now I'm totally impressed. I need lessons from you man.

Oh...I don't know about that Ernie.:rolleyes: After one easy lesson, you'd be ruined for life!!!;)