PDA

View Full Version : New

Jim Sparks
01-14-2007, 5:30 PM
I am a serious hobby person thinking about getting into Lazer for my woodworking projects which are typically detailed fretwork.
What I'm looking for is basic information on what it would cost to get set up as a beginner and what equipment I should look at.
Any information/guidance would be appreciated.

Joe Pelonio
01-14-2007, 7:16 PM
Jim,

There are many various opinions on who makes the best lasers, if you spend a while looking through this forum you'll see a lot of discussion. It might be helfull to tell us what thickness of wood you will need to cut, and what kinds of wood. Basically though, you are probably looking at $15,000 to $30,000or even up to $100,000 depending on the power requirements for your material, just for the laser. Then there's another $100-300 each for exhaust fan and air pump/compressor for air assist, and of course you need a good computer and software such as Corel. For the fretwork you'd probably want more power than many of us in order to cut through at a faster speed without blackening the edges too much.

Mitchell Andrus
01-14-2007, 7:16 PM
Welcome to the creek. You'll find plenty of posts here that discuss a wide range of topics. I suggest reading as many threads as you can that seem to apply.

In the meantime, I cut wood to augment my furniture business. I spent $23,000.00 for a kick-in-the-pants machine and accessories. You may not need the bed size I've got, (18 x 29) but for cutting wood, I suggest nothing less than 45 watts. I cut up to 3/16 and 1/4" solid and ply. That's pushing it not for lack of power, but for charring. Any thicker and the edges gets fried pretty good. I bought a machine I wasn't going to grow out of anytime soon. A good hardworking machine can cost as little as $10,000.00, less if purchased used.

We all have our favorite machines but they all do pretty much the same thing - they vaporize whatever is in the way of the beam, 'cept metal.

You'll want to get familiar with Corel Draw X3 - the must-have graphics package.

If you'll post your location, perhaps you'll find a laserhead close-by willing to show you a few things. Also, most sales reps will run samples on your materials if you'll send them some pieces. Many will make a house call demo.

Mark Winlund
01-14-2007, 8:33 PM
I do laser work with veneers and thin wood up to 1/4". The machine (120 watts) ran $41,000 with all the bells and whistles. The blower with a vfd ran another $1000 (don't skimp in this area; ULS gives quite specific recommendations). Computer and software runs another $1500 or so.

Figure the time involved to really know how to use Corel and the machine at six months to a year... time costs money.

You might consider farming some of this work out to people that already do this work.... it could be that you will save money in the long run. Is your business going to be laser work itself, or making some product that can use laser work in it's construction? If you put this much money into equipment, it pretty much needs to work all of the time to pay for itself. Don't forget to add interest costs for a lease or outright purchase (or loss of interest if you have the cash! :D

Mark