PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Epilog Helix won't start!

Phyllis Rhodes
01-14-2007, 3:44 PM
I turned on my laser a few minutes ago and it won't start up. It SOUNDS like it's starting up, but the display shows those black squares about half way across the display, the "job" light is lit green, and that's all that happens. The red laser won't even turn on (even though the light on the display comes on).

The last thing we did was run a couple of jobs with the rotary attachment a couple of days ago. They were "dry" runs with the lid open. We were running it with the lid open so we could get a run time for the job using a couple of different speed settings.

The rotary attachment was still in the machine as of this morning. The rotary attachment was unplugged and taken out BEFORE we turned on the machine.

We even tried turning off the laser, replacing the rotary, and turning the laser back on. Still nothing.

Naturally, I have someone who is supposed to come over this afternoon to have some pens engraved! What luck!!!!!

Thanks!
phyllis

Phyllis Rhodes
01-14-2007, 4:35 PM
Within minutes of posting my message at the EE forum, the wonderful Randy Allen (Engraving Concepts) was calling my cell phone.

We're not sure what the problem was. He had me take off the side panel so we could turn it on and check the lights on the board.

This time when I turned it on, it started up normally.

Randy and EC are the best!

phyllis

Joe Pelonio
01-14-2007, 5:09 PM
How cold was it in there this morning, Phyllis? Sounds like one of those things that can happen when it's below the normal operating temperature for electronics. Like when I just got back from checking a sample on some wooden Eagle Court of Honor announcements for a friend/neighbor, it was 16 this morning and still only 34 and my CD player in the truck was having trouble initializing.

Anyway, glad you have it back running so you can do those pens.

Why are we working on Sunday???:confused:

Mitchell Andrus
01-14-2007, 7:25 PM
Why are we working on Sunday???:confused:

You call this work? This, my dear friend, is my DREAM JOB. Learned woodworking in 6th grade, got to do it for real at 40 -- 10 years ago. This is retirement heaven. I work and play 50+ hours a week.

Mitch

Mike Hood
01-14-2007, 10:20 PM
The tube needs certain temps to ionize properly for the lasing to begin. Like a flourescent bulb... extremely cold weather can cause you grief.

Kurt Sallaz
01-16-2007, 7:34 AM
Phylis,

We have an Epilog Mini 24 and a similar thing happened to us. As it turned out we had a bad power supply. Our machine started working erraticly so we called Epilog's tech dept and were told that they had recieved several defective power supply units which they promptly replaced. You might have one.

Kurt

Phyllis Rhodes
01-18-2007, 1:40 PM
our garage has it's own mini-split AC system (heater as well), so it's a nice comfy 76 degrees in there on average.

one of the things we were going to look at when randy called was the power supply. however, since the machine started up normally, we couldn't!

i just have to keep an eye on it.

phyllis