PDA

View Full Version : Belt Change Palmgren/Craftsman Lathe

Tom Keen
01-14-2007, 9:55 AM
Hi:

Im new to the forum and would like some advise on the best way to change the drive belt on a 15" Palmgren/Craftsman Lathe.

Brain fade: I forgot to disengage the spindle lock before I turn on the machine and fried the belt.

Thanks!
Tom

Bobby Perry
01-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Wished I could help you Tom. I have the Palmgren but have only had it for a couple of weeks. I haven't even looked at the belt.

Gordon Seto
01-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Would it be possible to use link-belt? People have good results on using them on TS, drill press.

Gordon

Tom Keen
01-14-2007, 11:49 AM
I plan on calling Palmgren tomorrow, but.. the belt is marked as a Gates belt. I suspect would be available through a Gates supplier, alot cheaper than going through sears or a Palmgren distributor. Given my propensity for silly moves it might be a good idea to buy alot of them :)

John Hart
01-15-2007, 6:51 AM
....Given my propensity for silly moves it might be a good idea to buy alot of them :)

Welcome to the club.:o

....and welcome to the Eddy Currents of the Creek!:)

Jon Shively
01-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Tom, you are supposed to unlock the pin stop!!! ha ha It is quite easy to forget though isn't it!!! My shop is unheated through the week and I don't think it is my belt but the pulleys not moving correctly. Just been living with it for the past couple of weekends but am going to order a new belt this week. Anyway, on another forum, a person provided these instructions so here is the website for lubricating the pulleys and it achieves what you asked for as the changing of the belt requires the same steps. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

http://aroundthewoods.com/lathelube.html

Tom Keen
01-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks! very helpfull!

The lathe worked perfectly until I broke the belt.. plenty of power and while a little clean up was needed on the ways, its a solid machine.

Ive checked around for the belt. Gates made it, but its a custom size. Ive got a palmgren distributor running down replacement for me.

Andrew Eggleston
01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
I have torn two belts the same way. For me changing the motor drive belt is a royle pain. I just about have to disasemble the entire motor assembly.

The key for me was to remove the motor frame bolts, the ones holding the motor in alignment. They go back on easilty and line up perfectly. After removal I was then able to wrangle the replacement belt onto the gears. This would be much easier if I could remove the main gear from the motor, I can't, it seems to be on to well even after I remove the retaining screw.

This is one aspect of my lathe that "when I buy a new lathe" it will be much easier to replace the belts.

If I get a chance today I'll shoot some pictures of mine with the covers off to explain better.

Jon Shively
01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Tom, check with Sears, I hear the belt is $30.00. Won't know until I order as I don't see it as a line item in their catalog.

Andrew Eggleston
01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I bought one a couple of weeks ago from sears for $26. If you don't watch them they will charge you a ton for shipping.

Noah Schlag
01-15-2007, 11:45 AM
you can probably take the belt to your local auto parts store and find one that will work. they have an incredible selection and should be fairly inexpensive

Tom Keen
01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
The Belt is made by Gates, but apparently a custom size. The folks I talked to at a local industrial supply suggested buying a "sleeve" of belt material and they could cut the belts. The sleeve is 24" long.. approximately 25 belts. If getting these belts is a challenge, perhaps I should get a bunch made and offer them up at cost.

Ive got the covers off the headstock. Does the motor move to the front of the lathe when the long motor bolts are loosened?

Thanks!

Ken Garlock
01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the club.:o

....and welcome to the Eddy Currents of the Creek!:)

Say there John, do you know how to kilowatt?

corn alert:eek:

You push it off a wheatstone bridge into an eddy current.

You were warned.;)

Mike Ramsey
01-15-2007, 12:18 PM
you can probably take the belt to your local auto parts store and find one that will work. they have an incredible selection and should be fairly inexpensive

Way back when....I took that belt to every auto parts store
I could find....no one could match it or cross it. Since it was
under warranty Sears sent me a new one.

John Hart
01-15-2007, 12:23 PM
...do you know how to kilowatt?

You push it off a wheatstone bridge into an eddy current.

Oh Man!!!!!:D A joke that only a Tron Chaser could love!!

Good one Ken.:)

Darrell Feltmate
01-16-2007, 9:45 AM
Once again my apologies for not coming here more often. Last night, in reply to Tom's dilemma, I removed and returned my drive belt in order to get a few pictures. If you check lathe maintenance from the home page it will give you a menu for lubricating the pulleys for the Reeve's Drive and thus allowing that belt to be replaced if necessary, for tightening the drive belt, and for replacing the drive belt including the trick for swinging one of the pulleys out of the way. Hope this helps. http://aroundthewoods.com

Tom Keen
01-16-2007, 3:23 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to put this info up on your web site. I would have taken alot more off the machine without your help.. I really appreciate it.

The belt(s) are on their way. $23 from Palmgren.

I cut up a hundred pounds of spalted maple this afternoon in anticipation.

Darrell Feltmate
01-16-2007, 5:54 PM
My pleasure Tom. That is the fun of the site!

Dale Gregory
01-24-2007, 9:33 PM
The Belt is made by Gates, but apparently a custom size. The folks I talked to at a local industrial supply suggested buying a "sleeve" of belt material and they could cut the belts. The sleeve is 24" long.. approximately 25 belts. If getting these belts is a challenge, perhaps I should get a bunch made and offer them up at cost.

Ive got the covers off the headstock. Does the motor move to the front of the lathe when the long motor bolts are loosened?

Thanks!

:) You might try Tractor Supply or one of the Farm stores as long as the width is standard 3/8" or 1/2". They sell belts and have them listed by lenght in inches.:)

Tom Keen
01-25-2007, 6:40 AM
The new belt arrived and the replacement took about 30 mins. While I was in there, I tighten everything up and redid the electrical connection. The originals were pretty sloppy. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.