PDA

View Full Version : Crosscut Sled Sizing

Dewayne Reding
01-14-2007, 9:03 AM
I've spent some time reading the crosscut sled threads on this forum, and I think I am ready to give it a shot tonight. I want to build a sled that straddles the blade and rides both miter tracks. I am having a little trouble determining the proper size for my sled base as I have read widely variable size recommendations. The saw table size has some bearing? I have a Craftsman 22124 with a 27 x 54 table. When using the sled, the cut starts with the blade protruding in the middle of the sled, and some of the sled base hanging over the front edge of the saw table? If not, please unconfuserate me on proper use of the crosscut sled.

I'll probably use 3/4 birch plywood, with oak or maple fence. Any reason to laminate anything?

And at the risk of asking too many questions in one post. Is there any reason to build single track sleds, or can I do most everything with with a double?

Thanks for your patience with my rookieness. I'm learning a lot from you guys.

luc gendron
01-14-2007, 9:29 AM
Hello,

I've used both types of sleds, and each has its purpose. The double track sled has less of a tendency to ''rack'' when you are cross cutting wide pieces. However because you need a ''back fence'' (to hold both halves of the sled together) on the sled this limits the width of the piece that you can crosscut. I've made many sleds over the years and the one that I use most often is a 24'' wide sled. You start the sled before the blade, thus yes it does overhang the saw table.

While you are making your slide, you might as well make a second single runner sled. Since you will have everything set up it won't take that much more time to make this second sled. It will come in handy when you are crosscutting wider pieces. Hey while you are at it make yourself a 45° sled also!

Has for material choice, I prefer a melamine base with hardwood runners. Make these runners fairly snug to your miter gauge slot to minimise ''racking''. I wax these runners on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Jack Ganssle
01-14-2007, 9:36 AM
I recently made a sled and use it all the time for crosscutting. But, being clever enough to realize most of my pieces aren't too big, made it smaller than recommended.

Now I can't do 45 degree miters!

Be sure to size the back runner versus the length so that a piece on a 45 degree angle will fit.

Jack

Mark Singer
01-14-2007, 9:55 AM
I have 3 sleds...one for big panels which is about 26" from front to rear fence inside...the next sled is about 14" inside and is convienient for most work....the third is a miter sled
I would probably make the 26" first...it will handle doors and smaller pieces...use both tracks...I like hardwood runners..make sure its dead on before you fix it! Mine are excellent to the point where I rarely need a shooting board to insure square...a little parrafin on the runners makes it glide

Al Willits
01-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Just two for me, but three attempts....:D
I now have two, one smaller for general use and a 36x44" one for cutting things like panels for cabinet doors.

If your new to wood working like I am, ya may want to buy the metal track runners, they are adjustable and give you a bit of extra clearance in case your measurements are off just a bit.
Plus they let you fine tune the runners to the TS slots for a nice fit.

Personally I'd build a smaller one as a starter.
Good luck...:)
Al

glenn bradley
01-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I have a 22124. The sled I am working on today is for larger pieces and measures 36" x 41". That's large for a sled IMHO but this one is purpose specific. Remember, you gotta lug it on and off the saw, eh? Double runners out of UHMW and I plan on a removable insert for the blade path.

Another, simpler sled for the same saw is also double runner UHMW, 30" x 22" offset to the left as it's purpose is long board cut-off. I use a separate support table to the right to catch the waste piece. The size is determined by what you will use it for.

Once you use one you'll figure out all sorts of ways to use one that's a little wider or a little stouter. Then you end up with more than one. I determine the size by asking myself "what was I trying to do that made me need this?". The I make it big enough to do that plus a little more. For your first shot, I would start small. Enjoy building it and then apply what you learn to a larger one if you need it.

Dewayne Reding
01-14-2007, 12:45 PM
The sizes Mark mentioned are approximately what I was considering. Several of you recommended I build a smaller one first. That sounds like a good plan. Everything I do with my new equipment still feels ackward. Especially the big stock.

Mark Marzluf
01-14-2007, 1:18 PM
Remember....... you can always make it smaller, and add a telescoping stop block section to it to make it usefull on wider crosscuts..

Here's the one I currently use in my shop. As others have stated, the removeable ZCI blade inserts make it nice to use with standard or dado blades..

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/791874/1396915/214665702.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/791874/1396915/214665730.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/791874/1396915/214665726.jpg

Larry Rasmussen
01-14-2007, 1:28 PM
Iv'e make a couple double track sleds first some years ago with hardwood then more recently using the incra sliders. To my dismay I found that the slots on my grizzly contractor's saw were a tiny bit off and I just couldn't get a good slide with both on the sled. The amount was minute and my initial measurement was pretty casual. Apparently the good results in the past had a luck component. Good news, I just took one of the incra sliders off and used the track to L of blade. In this situation I got less racking and hang ups using one track.

I agree less is more after initially building a huge battlestar of a sled to cover every concievable project. Again, good news, I just cut it down. The removable set of inserts is a fabulous idea. Why didn't I think of that before building the sled just for dados?

Larry

Kelly C. Hanna
01-14-2007, 1:33 PM
I've never made one smaller than the table surface on my saw so that large panels are accomodated.

John Appleseed
01-15-2007, 9:52 AM
Guys, do any of you have the plans for your crosscut sleds that you wouldn't mind sharing with a newbie woodworker..... they would be greatly appreciated....I just purchased a Delts 36-715 TS, I haven't used it yet, been doing alot of reading, mostly here....

p.s. I have ordered from Amazon some books that were recomended on this forum

Dewayne Reding
01-15-2007, 10:22 AM
There are some useful links with some diagrams and instructions in this thread. Or a search for crosscut sled will no doubt yield some more.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=487348#poststop