PDA

View Full Version : Most practical way for me to control dust

Luke McFadden
01-13-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm really new to woodworking. But I want to keep things clean, and I want to keep things safe.

What is the best solution for dust extraction for me? I will be working in a 2 car garage, with one half to work with. The main tools I plan on having for a while are sanders, jigsaws, and circular saws. Pretty basic. I'm going to be making canoe paddles (hopefully), so I think the most will be using the jigsaw and sanders. I'm being persuaded to get a Bosch jigsaw by Sawmill members, which doesn't have any hookups for dust extraction that I can tell. And I've been looking at Bosch / Mikita sanders that have some built in containers.

It seems like dust from sanding is my biggest concern. Would the bag on the sander be enough? I can always open the garage door while I'm sanding if I need to.

Do I need to worry about dust from jigsaws and other similar cutting tools? I don't mind spending some time doing cleanup, but I'm not very good at cleaning out my lungs.

Thanks! Any advice / recommendations / books / website are welcomed!

Luke

Pam Niedermayer
01-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Absolute best way to control dust is to use hand tools and don't sand, then you won't produce any dust.

Pam

Clint Jones
01-14-2007, 1:07 AM
I agree with Pam. If your worried about dust just get a smoother plane and a draw knife. It will cut down on noise and you can just sweep your mess up. Remember this is the Neander Haven .

Wendell Wilkerson
01-14-2007, 2:13 AM
Have you seen this post by Bob Smalser, our resident boat building expert?

Seven Foot Oars (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10036&highlight=Seven-Foot+Oars)

He shows some of the hand tools he used in the process of making some oars. I did not see any sanders in his pictures either.

Wendell

Jake Darvall
01-14-2007, 4:49 AM
a broom works pretty well in my shed.

I've also got a large 2 stroke yard blower, which blasts everything out the door in about 5 seconds :o (including my notes and a few of the lighter tools :rolleyes: )