PDA

View Full Version : First NE

Bob Hallowell
01-13-2007, 10:50 PM
This is the first NE I have attemped. I didn't turn out as nice as I would of hope cause some major cracks appeared. This was a fairly dry peice of cherry that was in my dad's basement for 5 years or so.

I didn't sand it well enough cause you can still see the ca in the bottom but this was a learning peice.

I was suprised as thin as I went that most the bark stayed on.

Other than the sanding, finish and the cracks please critic it as I am still learning and wantl feed back so I know what to improve.
Bob

Christopher K. Hartley
01-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Bob, I think you did great! Other than the sanding, I would take some Mineral Spirits and a q-tip and clean the bark and the worm hole where you can see the white dust. I did that same thing on a couple of my first ones. I like the form and thickness. Good Job!:)

Jim Ketron
01-13-2007, 11:00 PM
I think the form looks good Bob!
Not bad for your first NE!
As you stated I can see some tearout up next to the rim on the inside!
The next thing I would adjust a tad is to make the foot a little smaller or tuck it in a little more at the bottom!
Overall Great Job!
Can't wait to see some more of these from you!
Also look up Mark Cothren and look at some of his posts, he does some of the nicest NE bowls I have ever seen!

Doug Collins
01-13-2007, 11:02 PM
I think it looks great. I'm anxious to try turning one and I'm wondering how to start.

What are the dimensions?

What's the sequence of steps in turning a NE bowl?

Obviously the first thing is to get a piece of wood with some bark on it. Then what?

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Bob for your first that is really nice. Great job.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Bob....for you first one...that is great! Pretty piece of wood. Good form. Better than the first one I tried. NEs currently are my favorite thing to turn....the LOML however prefers my pens or b/s.......

Mark Cothren
01-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Heck, don't be lookin' at my stuff... this one looks GREAT for your first one - congrats! The more you do, the easier they'll be and the more comfortable you'll be makin' smooth cuts out on the wings. Keep 'em comin'!

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Bob - looks great to me! I can only hope that when the time comes for me to do my first NE it will be half as nice as yours. Good job!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2007, 12:19 AM
I think it looks great. I'm anxious to try turning one and I'm wondering how to start.

What are the dimensions?

What's the sequence of steps in turning a NE bowl?

Obviously the first thing is to get a piece of wood with some bark on it. Then what?

Doug....Check out this web link for one method of turning a NE
http://www.splintershop.com/default.asp?mID=main&pID=Walnut

John Hart
01-14-2007, 6:11 AM
Nice form Bob! I've done a half a dozen or so...and none of them look as good as the one you have here.

Bob Hallowell
01-14-2007, 8:12 AM
Thanks Guys,
Doug It is 6"by 4"
I turned it just like any other bowl but I tried to be careful round the edges but still got some tearout. Plus it hard to sand up there. This was a practice peice hopefuly next one is better.

Bob

George Tokarev
01-14-2007, 8:43 AM
Looks good to me. You can never do better than the wood will let you in the crack department.

Your cracks were probably pre-existing. That chunk dried pretty fast back when, because the sapwood's still white. Cherry sort of percolates color from the heartwood when left in the log, and can darken the sapwood with extractives. Darker sapwood demands a bit more care with the bark, because another thing that happens is bacteria feeding on the cambium layer, which loosens it. I suggest you treat the edges with water-thin CA as you work them anyway, because people will be handling the piece, and it'll keep the bark on better than simply firming with the finish.

One thing I like to do with interrupted edges is put a card of opposite color below and behind to gain better visibility of the knuckle-busters as I'm working it. Green wood is friendlier with smaller slope on the sides, because steep sides can do a bit of flopping even with mild cutting pressure. Also makes it easier to choose the proper gouge, because you'r not as prone to heel bruises as you try to turn the corner.

Keith Burns
01-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Bob, very nice job for your first NE !!:) :)

Tom Sherman
01-14-2007, 1:29 PM
Bob your first NE looks pretty good to me, I have heard it said that it is all practice keep em comin

Neal Addy
01-14-2007, 2:08 PM
That's a beauty, Bob. Great job keeping the bark on. The color contrast of the sapwood is striking!

Pete Jordan
01-14-2007, 2:43 PM
I think it is a great start! I am envious.