PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly vs Ridgid vs Delta

Chris Stodgell
01-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi, I'm new here, and my story is like many of the other posts. Looking into some new power tools, and want the best deal for the $$$ spent. What are the opinions for the Ridgid 6" jointer and the Ridgid 13" planer. From posts elsewhere people love the Delta and Dewalt 13" planers, but price is getting a little steep. To be able to get both. I have a Griz. Lathe and love it, and the customer service I have recieved from them in the past.

I've been lurking on Ebay, but by the time you pay shipping for some of these toys, you can get it for the same price at HD or Lowes, and then have someplace to return it too when it breaks.

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Chris

frank shic
01-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Chris, it sounds like you're leaning towards RIDGID, no? Well, if it'll make you feel any better, I bought both the jointer and the planer from home depot two years ago using the 10% discount coupons that you get off of ebay. For surfacing wood, I didn't feel it necessary to buy an ultra-expensive tool. I would have bought the tablesaw as well if I had found out about it earlier. Get a good dust collector since the two machines generate TONS of wood chips. Make sure you get some help moving that jointer - it's pretty heavy!

Art Mann
01-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I own both Ridgid tools and have used them heavily - especially the planer. I have no regrets and would recommend them to anyone. IN particular, I think the planer has the best combination of features, performance and price that you will find in a portable planer today. The jointer is a great tool as well but you can buy several brands that are equal in performance and price.

Ned Bulken
01-13-2007, 11:40 PM
I'll throw another Ridgid applause up. I'm the proud owner of a Rigid 3612 TS. I've not used their 6" jointer, but I had occasion tonight to plane down about 20 bf of Rock Maple. Other than tripping a breaker occasionally in my buddy's shop, the planer was a joy to use. The breaker is because he hasn't upgraded his electrical system yet.
I own a Dewalt 734, and the Rigid 13" planer matched it cut for cut.

Pete Harbin
01-14-2007, 12:47 AM
I've got the older gray models of Ridgid's planer and jointer, and both have been running trouble free for a long time.

Pete

Mike Heidrick
01-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Woodcraft has the 6" Enclosed based jointer for $399 right now. Good price on a great jointer.

Ken Robbins
01-14-2007, 5:30 AM
I have used my Rigid 13 planner extensively and am quite pleased, not so much with the quality of the piece, but with the lifetime guarantee from Home Depot. I am now on my third one for the original price. The first two suffered failure of the drive gears.

I have bought a Grizzly G8794 12.5 inch planner (which has now been replaced with the G0505) for my other location, but have used it very little. The Rigid is easier to set for the first pass. However, I suspect that the knives on the Grizzly can be sharpened, whereas Rigid advises against sharpening their knives.

John Grossi
01-14-2007, 6:02 AM
I have the rigid planer and it can hold very tight tolorences . I went with the Grizzley 1023 left tilt. Better dust collection, better fence and 3 hpw. This saw is a pleasure to use. I am using Delta's 50-750 DC and it seems fine. All these tools are well made and can be bought reasonably. Paul

scott spencer
01-14-2007, 6:49 AM
Any of those you mentioned should do a good job. No harm in buying the lowest price or best value. Amazon has had the Delta TP400LS on sale for $270 delivered, and is looking like one of the better deals going right now...it has a cutterhead lock, dust chute option (~ $17), and a leg stand.

Tim Malyszko
01-14-2007, 9:25 AM
I own the Ridgid planer and jointer. Both are an excellent value for the money. Dust Collection is actually not bad on the planer when I hook up my shop vac. I've only planed around 150 BF through the planer, but I've had no complaints so far.

The jointer's dust collection, is very insufficient with a shop vac and really requires a true dust vacuum to do a thorough job. Other than that, it's been another top knotch Ridgid tool. Everything came out of the box aligned perfectly and I've had no issues with it whatsoever.

The Ridigid Jointer has been recently on sale at HD's on-line store for $319 and many people have been successful in their local HD matching the on-line price. Unfortunately, it's no longer on sale.

Even with no discounts, you can be out the door with the Ridgid Jointer and Planer for around $800 with tax, which is a bargain, considering the Dewalt DW735 costs $549 and that price doesn't even include the infeed/outfeed tables or a stand.

Good luck with your decision. If you look at my shop thread, you will see I also own the Ridgid TS3650 tablesaw - another excellent value.

Darl Bundren
01-14-2007, 9:26 AM
I have both the Ridgid planer and jointer. I am happy with both of them. Good luck with your shopping.

Homer Faucett
01-14-2007, 9:45 AM
Woodcraft has the 6" Enclosed based jointer for $399 right now. Good price on a great jointer.

I'll second that. I bought the Jet 6" jointer at Woodcraft for $399, and don't regret it. I've been borrowing an old 1960's Craftsman/King Seely 6" benchtop jointer for the past 2 years, and the Jet is vastly superior. For the money, I don't think you can buy a new 6" jointer that is better.

With regard to planers, I believe one of the wood mags recently did a review of lunchbox planers, and Rigid did okay. I can't remember which came out on top for value, though. I'm still using my old Ryobi 13" planer that I have had for about 8 years.

Chris Stodgell
01-14-2007, 9:58 AM
Thanks everyone for their input.

John Shuk
01-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I have the Rigid jointer and like it alot. I have the Delta planer and it is very nice as well. I bought it refurbished for about $150.00. It was a no brainer in that case. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Rigid in many cicumstances. My biggest issue is not with Rigid but with Home Depot. They handle everything roughly. Check the packaging closely and you should be okay.