PDA

View Full Version : My latest shtuff!!

Jonathon Spafford
01-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Hello everybody... I haven't been totally idle of late. Here are some of my latest turnings. Been having fun with these... sorry the pix are bad... I still have no clue how to take decent close-ups. I had to photoshop these like crazy to get them decent (Didn't improve the quality of my work though ;)). Anyway... comments AND critiques are most appreciated!

Jonathon Spafford
01-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Ok... here are a few more. I have one more NE that I was going to post, but some how I messed it up in the Photo editing process... I'll try to post it in here soon! Comments appreciated!!!!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Jonathon, Nice stuff there. I'm really interested in that first one is that some form of ebonizing you used? Tell us about it. Good Job!:)

Jim Ketron
01-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Nice Job!
Love the little buttons!

Joash Boyton
01-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey Johnathon, real nice work there!! I love the confetti lamp....what timber?

Critique? None from me........till I see them up close:D:D:p

Real nice work!!

Joash

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Jonathon nice job. I really like the buttons.

Jonathon Spafford
01-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Jonathon, Nice stuff there. I'm really interested in that first one is that some form of ebonizing you used? Tell us about it. Good Job!:)

Actually, the platter isn't ebonized... it is burned. Just used a propane torch to burn it before I turned the inside. I got the idea from an article by Nick Cook!!

Jonathon Spafford
01-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Hey Johnathon, real nice work there!! I love the confetti lamp....what timber?

Critique? None from me........till I see them up close:D:D:p

Real nice work!!

Joash
The lamp is from a variety of maple burl. I still have a big chunk of it left. Really cool wood! BTW... if you wanna do a really good critique your gonna have to come over here!!! Hey... we got a nice AAW Smyposium coming up next year :D ;)

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Really nice work Jonathon! Really like the candle holder form! Beautiful wood. Looks like everything has a great finish. Specially like the buttons - my wife asked me just the other day if I could make her some buttons. Why, sure I can... then she tells me she didn't want any holes through them, she wanted a little tab on the back instead. Oh. Will have to think about that for awhile.

Nice work!

Jonathon Spafford
01-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Really nice work Jonathon! Really like the candle holder form! Beautiful wood. Looks like everything has a great finish. Specially like the buttons - my wife asked me just the other day if I could make her some buttons. Why, sure I can... then she tells me she didn't want any holes through them, she wanted a little tab on the back instead. Oh. Will have to think about that for awhile.

Nice work!

Actually I have done some of those buttons with the little hidden hole. The one that I tried is in the picture on its side. The rest of them have the holes going through the face. With the standard button you have to use side grain or they will split. With the ones with the hidden hole you have to use end grain. Just make the face the style you like (since it is endgrain you can even add chatterwork), then you use a thin parting tool to make a nub on the back. While it is on the lathe use a 1/16" bit to drill through the nub than part the button off. Really simple!!!

Keith Burns
01-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Great job on all the pieces Jonathon !! :) :)

Gary DeWitt
01-14-2007, 12:54 PM
I like your turnings! I have several Hawaiian shirts my wife makes for me, and up til now we had to order wood buttons from Hawaii for them. I think I'll turn the next set myself.

What kind of camera are you using? Does it have a closeup or macro setting? Do you use a tripod? These things affect sharpness much more at close range.

Jonathon Spafford
01-14-2007, 7:33 PM
What kind of camera are you using? Does it have a closeup or macro setting? Do you use a tripod? These things affect sharpness much more at close range.

Can't remember what cam I am using... have to look it up! It takes great pictures so I am sure it is not the quality of the camera that is bad. I was using the macro settings, but I was not using a tripod. I don't use a photo tent or any fancy setup. I just stuck 'em on a blanket and shot the pic. I have taken lots of nice scenery shots, but for some reason my closeups are not always that great.

Neal Addy
01-14-2007, 7:45 PM
Very nice turnings!

My wife can NOT see those buttons. I'd never hear the end of it. I've had to hide my copy of the AAW mag as well.

Corey Hallagan
01-14-2007, 8:00 PM
The work looks just fine, very nice pieces. I like that burl lamp alot!

Corey

Jonathon Spafford
01-15-2007, 7:20 PM
Thanks everybody for the comments/compliments; they are much appreciated... I am gonna have to play around with the photography a little more, though!

John Hart
01-15-2007, 7:29 PM
How'd I miss this thread? Man! there's been a lot of new threads lately! Must be the moon.:rolleyes:

Cool turnings Jonathan! I like the buttons too. And your other pieces are nicely done as well. Funny....I never thought of turning buttons....but now, it seems so natural after seeing your work.

Ernie Nyvall
01-15-2007, 8:47 PM
Looks like you've been busy. Nice work Jonathon.