PDA

View Full Version : Call me lazy

Bruce Page
01-13-2007, 10:27 PM
I finished up a pair of 9 pane cabinet doors last weekend – http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49257 finished except for squaring up the 72 corners… Well, after hand chiseling a dozen or so corners I pulled out the plastic and ordered a Bullnose/chisel plane from Lee Valley and while I was at it I got the edge-trimming plane too. They both worked great right out of the box. I was really impressed with the quality and finish, particularly on the Bullnose.
Anyway, here’s the required pic.

Chris Barton
01-14-2007, 8:29 AM
Hi Lazy,

I have several of the LV planes and have found them to be great investments in my woodworking success. You'll enjoy them!

Don Bullock
01-14-2007, 9:57 AM
There's a difference between being lazy and smart. I'd definately put this purchase in the smart category. BTW -- Those doors are super.

Mark Singer
01-14-2007, 9:59 AM
Bruce...good for you! You saved a lot of money by doing the work yourself now reward yourself!

Jesse Thornton
01-14-2007, 11:51 AM
That's a fantastic little bullnose plane. I use mine frequently.
I've yet to hear of someone being disappointed with their Veritas plane purchases, so I agree - smart, not lazy.

Roy Wall
01-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Bruce,

It looks like the LV has a full 1" cut (on the Iron Edge trimmer plane) and a larger depth control knob.....compared to the LN bronze #95. DId you consider the LN version.? It appears the LV is technically better!

Bruce Page
01-14-2007, 1:43 PM
Roy, I did look at the LN, actually I’m partial to Lie-Nielson but the 1” width of cut was the driver. The cabinet I’m working on is all 4/4 so the Veritas should work great.

Dan Forman
01-14-2007, 2:18 PM
Bruce---What's the secret to using the edge trimming plane. I bought one, but can't take a full width shaving. Seems whatever I do, it rocks a bit, and I can't produce a square edge. I've tried both pushing and pulling.

Dan

Gary Herrmann
01-14-2007, 4:23 PM
I've got those planes Bruce. Good choice, they're both good tools.

Bruce Page
01-14-2007, 5:09 PM
Bruce---What's the secret to using the edge trimming plane. I bought one, but can't take a full width shaving. Seems whatever I do, it rocks a bit, and I can't produce a square edge. I've tried both pushing and pulling.

Dan
Dan, I just got it Friday so I haven't played with it much. I set it for a light shaving and it performed well. It is critical that you accurately align the blade with the sole and cut with the grain. I haven't noticed any rocking but like I said, I haven't used it a lot.

John Schreiber
01-14-2007, 6:05 PM
Nobody has been following your instructions. Yes, they are nice planes, but . . . YOUR LAZY.

Your welcome.

Keith Hooks
01-16-2007, 9:58 AM
That's terrific! I have the medium shoulder plane and love it! Will be adding more to the collection when $$ permits. Enjoy!