PDA

View Full Version : Really dumb planer question

Doug Shepard
01-13-2007, 8:37 PM
After about 10 years or so, my DW733 planer is getting a bit cantankerous and I've been thinking for a while about getting a new planer. As much as I like the DW735 it's just so honkin big and heavy that it's probably not in the cards. I'm probably looking at a DW734 or the 2-speed Delta. My 733 is currently stored on a shelf when not it use, but one thing that's always annoyed me is the DC hood. You cant leave the thing installed and still fold the outfeed table up. And it doesn't really fit in it's spot with the table left down so I have to reattach the DC accesory every time I want to use it. The two I'm looking at appear to have the same issue. So here's the dumb question: Anybody know of a 12-1/2 or 13" planer that the DC attachment doesn't interfere with being able to fold the outfeed table up? It's an off-the-wall thing to be factoring into a planer decision and it may not divert me from the two I'm looking at, but if there's such a beast out there I want to at least look at it.

Larry Rasmussen
01-13-2007, 8:56 PM
is the Makita 2012NB. Doesn't seem like a dumb issue as my shop has filled up and I'm planning storage inch by inch. I was forwarned about the outfeed shelf not going up when the optional dust hood is installed by looking at the amazon.com user reviews but it was not a no purchase factor. The amazon user reviews can be a great place to pick up details on daily use issues that magazine reviewers don't cover. I just made a purchase decision on a phone answering machine on Amazon and it was really interesting the kind of things that end up bothing people.

Scott Hazzlerigg
01-15-2007, 1:45 AM
Is the new rigid, outfeed table on it doesnt fold up with the dc on.

Kirk Poore
01-15-2007, 1:17 PM
After about 10 years or so, my DW733 planer is getting a bit cantankerous and I've been thinking for a while about getting a new planer....

Doug:

If there is a service center near you, you could take the current planer in for servicing. I did that with my old Delta 22-560, before Delta got sold to B&D. For about $60 they replaced a pulley, the belt and tightened everything up, and it ran fine for another 2 years of hard labor before I finally wore it out. Plop it on the counter and tell them what "cantankerous" means in this case, and you might have it back to normal in a week or so.

Kirk

Kirk