View Full Version : Black Walnut Plate

Mark Cothren
01-13-2007, 8:05 PM
This is 1 of 2 offering plates I turned for my church - to be delivered tomorrow morning. They'll replace the basket/odd plate that we're using now. This is the nicest of the two, IMO.

13-1/4" wide and 2" tall. Sanded thru 800 grit and I used antique oil for the finish (thanks for putting me onto this stuff, Travis).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/BW_Plate03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/BW_Plate01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/BW_Plate02.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2007, 8:13 PM
Wow Mark! Beautiful form - love the extended lip - great looking wood and the finish looks perfect! Definitely work you can be proud of!

Mark Pruitt
01-13-2007, 8:31 PM
This is 1 of 2 offering plates I turned for my church....This is the nicest of the two, IMO.

Tell me the other one doesn't have a bark inclusion!:D :p

Seriously, very nice job! It should last many years and I hope it is filled frequently!:)

Mark Cothren
01-13-2007, 8:36 PM
Ha! No bark inclusion... just a "plain" piece of Walnut (if there is such a thing). The other one has a little sapwood showing on the bottom side, but it still looks okay.

John Hart
01-13-2007, 8:37 PM
That is going to be so cool Mark. As the plate is passed from hand to hand...it is sure to be fondled and admired. Now how are you going to act when someone stops and goes, "ooohhh, this is sooo nice!!" ???

Beautiful work by the way. The wood is great and your finish is perfect.

Gary Herrmann
01-13-2007, 8:39 PM
Very nice, Mark. The way the side curves into the lip looks great.

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2007, 8:39 PM
Mark that is a beauty. Gotta love that walnut. Nice form and finish.

Robert McGowen
01-13-2007, 8:45 PM
Very nice form. The bottom of the plate looks very professional also. I'm sure it will look even nicer filled up on Sunday!

Mark Cothren
01-13-2007, 8:52 PM
Thanks everyone!

I'm sure it will look even nicer filled up on Sunday!

Let's hope so! We're trying to build a new building...:D

Jim Ketron
01-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Beautiful Piece and wood Mark!
It looks like it would feel good in the hand while hauling that load of cash in it also!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Beautiful Mark, I love the grain in that walnut and the form really shows it off. Great Job!:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Another LOVely offering, Mark.

Bruce

Tom Sherman
01-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Awsome collection plates Mark, hoping that you have to turn a deeper one soon.

Keith Burns
01-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Great plate Mark, nice form and finish. May a million dollars pass thru it:) :)

Gary DeWitt
01-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Very nice form and finish, and especially sentiment.
Hmmm, a new building. Would you be somehow involved in turning columns, pilasters, bannisters, etc. etc.? Perhaps you could get your club involved, assuming you have one there...

Mark Cothren
01-14-2007, 1:22 PM
Hmmm, a new building. Would you be somehow involved in turning columns, pilasters, bannisters, etc. etc.? Perhaps you could get your club involved, assuming you have one there...

Nobody has mentioned it yet, Gary. The building will be an all metal multi-purpose building; but there may be a place for some turned wood on the inside...:D

Corey Hallagan
01-14-2007, 1:34 PM
That's a pretty piece Mark. I love the shape!

corey

Neal Addy
01-14-2007, 2:12 PM
What a beautiful plate and a fine gift!

I may be too late in asking, but did you line the interior bottom with felt or leave it bare? I think a red felt would be nice but it may be nicer to hear the change clink against the wood.

John Chandler
01-14-2007, 2:21 PM
That's a very nice looking piece of work.

Pete Jordan
01-14-2007, 2:25 PM
What a beautiful plate and a fine gift!

I may be too late in asking, but did you line the interior bottom with felt or leave it bare? I think a red felt would be nice but it may be nicer to hear the change clink against the wood.

I thought about that too. Maybe at Mark's church they only use foldin money.

Very nice shape!

Ed Scolforo
01-14-2007, 2:40 PM
Looks exactly like an offering plate should, except so much more elegant. Nice work.
Ed

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2007, 3:26 PM
Beautifully done Mark....Love that walnut!...Please post photos of the pair when you're done.

Mark Cothren
01-14-2007, 3:50 PM

I mulled over the idea of adding felt, but the wife said leave it "as is"... therefore, it was left "as was"...:D

I ain't hen-pecked, but I am house-broke...;)

Mark Cothren
01-14-2007, 3:52 PM
Please post photos of the pair when you're done.

Sorry Ken... they are already delivered to the church before I shot a pic of the second one. It is similar enough to this one that you have to look close to see differences. The wood in the second one was just a plain piece of Walnut with just a little sapwood showing on the bottom.