PDA

View Full Version : Very proud!!!!

Chuck Hanger
01-13-2007, 7:42 PM
Guess that I have to express a little gloat here. Last summer my FIL was in my shop and made the statement that he sure wished he still had a lathe to create things on. While I do not have a lathe I kept watching that well known bid site as well as Craig’s list. Finally found a old rusty C-man just like the one that he use to have. Bought it for a few dollars more than it was probably worth and brought it home and cleaned (refurbished) to new condition. Built a table mount for him and took it down to the little room where they can have things like this at his and mom’s retirement home.
The following are photos of the 4 items that he made for his daughters as well as one for Mom for Christmas (which was just celibrated today January 13, 2007). Quite a fellow for his age (turned 80 in December).
Very proud of his ability at his age.
Thanks for looking,
Chuck

Thomas Canfield
01-13-2007, 7:52 PM
Chuck,

You and he both should be proud. The pieces look great in the decoration. It is a great thing that he can have access to a lathe at his retirement home. That is the one thing that makes all the retirement centers undersirable in my opinion is giving up my shop when the time comes (hopefully not for another 15 years or so), but circumstances do change and sometimes it is required for one member while the other is still very active but not able to maintain a home.

Keep encouraging him.

Tom

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2007, 7:57 PM
Chuck, tell your FIL that the candleholders are beautiful work - for a turner at any age! Glad to hear that he can use the lathe, it will help keep the imagination flowing! Let him know we would love to see any and all additional projects as he finishes them!

John C. Wilson
01-13-2007, 7:58 PM
Chuck, my dad helped me in my cabinet shop up until 5 months before he passed away. Not big jobs, but he was good help and he felt good (me too) that he was still usefull .He also was 81. Three years later and I still miss him big time. I'm sure he thanks you.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2007, 7:58 PM
I'd say he did a good job and you did a good favor for your FIL! Congrats to both of you!

Mark Cothren
01-13-2007, 8:01 PM
Excellent!! Congratulations!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2007, 8:50 PM
Chuck that is way cool. I wish my dad was around. I miss him to. He used to help me until he just couldn't anymore. He finally has been taken over by dementia at 89 yrs. Tell your FIL we hope to see more pictures. Thanks for sharing.

John Hart
01-13-2007, 9:39 PM
I'm really impressed that you would take the old machine and bring it back to "New" just to give the man the pleasure that we all enjoy. I tip my hat to you sir.;) He's done some wonderful work with it too!!!!:)

Pete Jordan
01-13-2007, 9:48 PM
What a great story!
Congrats to you both! Would love to see a picture of him turning.

Jim Ketron
01-13-2007, 9:56 PM
Thats just Simply Awesome!

Jon Shively
01-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Great story and show of love and support. Beautiful work also. I am envious.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Makes everything all worth while!! Thanks for sharing!:) We're proud of you!

Gordon Seto
01-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Priceless!

That is good for his mental health at the retirement home.

Gordon

Tom Sherman
01-14-2007, 12:25 PM
To coin a phrase, the gift that keeps on giving. Awsome job nice work on the candle holders too.

Keith Burns
01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for sharing. Wonderful story. Tell your Dad he did a great job !!:) :)

Chuck Hanger
01-14-2007, 2:42 PM
I could not help but print out this morning replies to my post and give to FIL in church. The smile on his face said it all. Thanks so much.
Chuck