PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrrr!!!

Dave Fifield
01-13-2007, 7:33 PM
Must be something to all that global warming malarky....I've never seen it so cold here in "sunny" San Jose! It got down to 24.6 degF last night. When I went out (to help run a marquetry class) this morning, I couldn't beleive it - my fountain was FROZEN SOLID! :eek: Here the pic:

http://www.woodust.com/frozenfountain.jpg

This NEVER happens here.....until now! What's next? Snow??

Where have I got to move to, to be in a nice temperate climate for the next 20 years or so of global climate change?

W Craig Wilson
01-13-2007, 7:45 PM
My guess is that nowhere will be predictable. "Its not NICE to fool (with) Mother Nature!"

John C. Wilson
01-13-2007, 7:48 PM
Well don't come to Iowa. Old man winter has arrived. Cold here also and late Sunday into Monday we are supposed to get 3 to 7 inches of that d### white stuff. Good thing gas is down under 2 bucks a gallon.....time to get the Toro snow blower out. Stay warm!!!!!!!

Ralph Dobbertin
01-13-2007, 7:51 PM
You guys need to come to Canada. No snow here in Toronto and a balmy 27 degrees F. Only snow is in Vancouver where it rarely snows

Joe Pelonio
01-13-2007, 7:54 PM
Ha, thanks for that report. :pI don't feel nearly so bad now about our 17 this morning. We used to live in Castro Valley, and there was just one year that it got down to the high 20's and we lost a lot of plants, and a lot of people had broken pipes.

skip coyne
01-13-2007, 8:01 PM
doors and windows open here , though it is going down to 60 tonight ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2007, 8:03 PM
Snow......it was 9 F this morning at 10:00....the sun had been shining for 2 hours...

Art Mulder
01-13-2007, 8:56 PM
You guys need to come to Canada. No snow here in Toronto and a balmy 27 degrees F. Only snow is in Vancouver where it rarely snows

Yeah, what Ralph said... ;)

Things are looking up for the "Great White North"... :p

Gary Herrmann
01-13-2007, 9:13 PM
Ugh. We've got a train of 3 or 4 ice storms coming through this weekend. I spent the morning cutting up iced over branches and jamming them in the garbage cans for pickup. Nothing worth turning either, dangit.

I had to stop after a couple hours because I soaked through my winter work gloves that are "water proof." My finger tips felt like they were on fire. Felt like that might be a good stopping point. :rolleyes:

I will consider this weekend a good one as long as we don't lose power.

Dave Fifield
01-13-2007, 9:42 PM
Florida?! :eek: By all accounts, that's going to be under about 50' of seawater in 15 years......

Next please. :rolleyes: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah...well Dave....Idaho will beach front property when that big fault along the West Coast....slides.......

Dave Fifield
01-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Idaho it is then!! Thanks Ken :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Dave....at least that's what the realtor told me when he sold me this place. He said that's why it was listed at such a large amount.:rolleyes: :D

Joe Mioux
01-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Ugh. We've got a train of 3 or 4 ice storms coming through this weekend. I spent the morning cutting up iced over branches and jamming them in the garbage cans for pickup. Nothing worth turning either, dangit.

I had to stop after a couple hours because I soaked through my winter work gloves that are "water proof." My finger tips felt like they were on fire. Felt like that might be a good stopping point. :rolleyes:

I will consider this weekend a good one as long as we don't lose power.

See.... If you lived on the right side of the river you wouldn't have those problems...:D

It was a balmy 37 degrees and rainy here today. Carlyle always seems to get by-passed by the nasty stuff..... might have something to do with the lake here... or not....

Joe

Ralph Dobbertin
01-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey Fellow Canadian. Please take a look at my thread on Canada. Am looking to see how many Canadians are on the chat forum.

All the best

Ralph

Jesse Thornton
01-14-2007, 1:10 AM
You obviously haven't been checking the Saskatoon weather reports this week!

Tim Wagner
01-14-2007, 9:13 AM
I wouldn't spend the next twenty years worrying about globel warming. You won't have time to do your woodworking if you do. and as for the 27 deg temps. thats nothing.

Dave Richards
01-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Dave, I'm glad it was nicer than that when I was in California.

Last night it snowed here. First time since New Year's Eve. It looked like someone had blown the powdered sugar off their donut onto my garage roof. :D

Of course we might get more tonight.

Jesse Thornton
01-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't spend the next twenty years worrying about global warming. Yes, worrying is useless. Educating ourselves about it and acting responsibly over the next twenty years, however, just might have some merit...

Al Willits
01-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Well, were getting 4 to 6" of global warming this evening, down south where Dave is is suppose to get more I think.
Global warming...all for it....:D

Al.....who's not only brrrr'ing, but gets to shovel it tomm too....:D

Chris Barton
01-15-2007, 8:01 AM
Yesterday I sat on my deck in shorts and a tee-shirt which in and of itself, isn't remarkable. But, it was because I live in Nashville and it's the middle of Jan! But, we'll have snow by this evening. The middle south has become the "in spot" to live if you want to see climate change on a daily basis...

Robert Mickley
01-15-2007, 9:36 AM
I wish it would freeze!!! I have a field to trim around. I was up there the other day and is so soft the front tires on the JD where sliding insead of rolling.

Travis Lavallee
01-15-2007, 7:32 PM
Our high today was -26 C, so I don't even know how you can consider that stuff cold??????

Aaron Koehl
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Our high today was -26 C, so I don't even know how you can consider that stuff cold??????
Geesh.. all my Virginia frozen tundra jokes just went out the window.

Jim C Bradley
01-17-2007, 2:10 PM
Brrrrrrr. I'm cold at 40 deg F. Thank God my parents had the good sense to have me born in Southern California. I live in Oceanside about 6 miles from the ocean. We live at the end of a box canyon that goes to the ocean. With the Great Heat Sink to the west and with ocean breezes our highs run around 75 F and lows of 40 F. However, a few of the past nights did get 35 F. That is D##### cold for here and is freezing to me. I was in my thermals and not in my garage workshop.
Enjoy,
Jim

Dan Gill
01-17-2007, 5:23 PM
Snow in Dallas/Fort Worth today! I'm working from home. Our southern non-snow tires don't cope well with the white stuff. It's gone now, but it was pretty while it was coming down.

Joe Pelonio
01-17-2007, 5:59 PM
38 today and the snow is melting! Ah, the sound of dripping water.:D

Jon Fowler
01-17-2007, 6:08 PM
Dave, it got up to 2 F today and it is suppose to be 15 F below zero tonight with a wind chill of -35. I can't wait until it warms up tomorrow to the low 20's so I can snow blow my driveway.

Jay Jolliffe
01-17-2007, 6:13 PM
Hello all....I live in Maine & it was -3 this morning. Stayed like that for a while even after the sun came up. Moved up here 3 years ago to build a house. Two years ago my wife & I started when it was -20. Stayed close to zero for the next month. Boy was it cold out side.....We loved it. :)

Andy Hoyt
01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
And it's still cold up here in the top right corner.

-16° F right now.

Hey, Jay. Welcome. Whereabouts are you?

Jim Becker
01-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Please keep it up that way, Andy...right about freezing here and that's cold enough!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey.....after a couple of nights in the single digits...we got above freezing yesterday.....it was 19F this morning at 0500.

Joe Pelonio
01-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm experienceing something new today. Noramlly it snows 2-3 times a year, and inch or two and melts within a day or two. This time we got 9" over a few days and then colder weather so it ended up as thick ice. It's finally above freezing now and melting.

I keep hearing these loud noises as chunks of ice slide off the roof. I just went out to move my truck further from the house, and I suppose I should warn the family to watch out when going outside.

Al Willits
01-18-2007, 1:30 PM
Not sure what you complaining about, its up to 21 F here in sunny Minnesnowta and I might have to take the sweater off.....:D

Lived in Brownsville Texas for two years, then came back to the temps in the 40's...damn near froze to death..
I do sympathize with you southern boys and low temps....well, kinda....:D

Do remember a few years back we were ice fishing and it was so cold the beer froze while you were hanging on to it....its cold then.
Al

Jay Jolliffe
01-18-2007, 5:38 PM
Hello Andy.... I live on Islesboro which is an island in the Camden area. If you travel north on Rt 1 the ferry leaves from Lincolnville beach.

Robert Mickley
01-18-2007, 5:56 PM
Do remember a few years back we were ice fishing and it was so cold the beer froze while you were hanging on to it....its cold then.
Al

No but I remember trucking across Montana and every time you tried to spit it froze to your lip :D

Al Willits
01-18-2007, 10:29 PM
No but I remember trucking across Montana and every time you tried to spit it froze to your lip :D

That would be cold....
Almost sounds like a "and how cold was it?" topic...:D
Al