PDA

View Full Version : New table saw time

Mike Seals
01-13-2007, 7:22 PM
I'm sure this has been hashed out a million times, but a search for tables saws will pull up more than I can sort through. I've worked my ole Craftsman past its usefullness and wanting to go up a tad more. 10" cabinet saw, budget for a tight wad probably in the $1500 range plus or minus (always like the minus) What would you folks buy?

Don Bullock
01-13-2007, 7:32 PM
Amazon.com currently has a Delta 36-830LA 10-Inch Left Tilt 3 Horsepower Uni-Saw with 30-Inch Unifence, 1 Cast Iron Extension Wing, Table Board, Leg Set, 230-Volt 1 Phase for $1,199.99 with FREE SHIPPING --- As with all Amazon prices you never know how long this "deal" will last.

I don't have one, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Delta Unisaw.

I'm sure someone else will step in soon and let you know more.

Nancy Laird
01-13-2007, 7:39 PM
Woodworker's Supply has Delta Unisaw for $1699.99 with a free mobile base. 3hp, 50" fence, Beismeyer or Unifence, Left or Right tilt, Free motor freight. Also the Steel City cabinet saws Left or Right tilt at $1599.99 plus $146.00 motor freight. This is their regular price all of the time.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-13-2007, 7:46 PM
$1,500 is a descent budget. You can get a hybrid saw fully decked-out, or a cabinet style saw with the essentials.

Some things you may wish to consider regarding your budget are:
1. Side extension table
2. Outfeed table
3. Mobile base which accomodates the side extension table
4. Overarm guard, removable splitter, or other aftermarket guard (like the Shark Guard)
5. Dado insert plate
6. Shipping and tax

Some of these options can add up pretty quickly.

Some physical considerations are:
1. Right or left tilt
2. 50" rip capacity or less
3. You will also need 220V outlet as most saws in this range can only run on 220V.

In the 25 years I've been into woodworking, I have never seen more tablesaw options than right now. It seems every manufacturer or importer is offering descent equipment including Sear's Zip Code saw. Check out Delta, Steel City Tools, Wilke Machinery, Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic, and General. They all offer saws for under $1,500.

Good Luck...Jeff :)

Dave Falkenstein
01-13-2007, 7:53 PM
I have seen some good deals recently on Jet cabinet saws. I have one and would buy it again. I don't think you would go wrong with any of the major brand cabinet saws in the $1500 range - Delta, Jet, Grizzly, etc.

John Shuk
01-13-2007, 8:13 PM
Delta Unisaw is right there in that price range. If you can grab the Amazon deal it might be worth while. www.Toolnut.com will give you a good price too. You might try a show and you could walk away with a nice package.