PDA

View Full Version : How much for vet bill??

Charlie Velasquez
01-13-2007, 6:43 PM
This is our dog Sam. He is a few years older now. He is the first to greet me when I come home from work. He sits and cuddles on my wife's lap when she is grading papers, He sits patiently outside my workshop till I am finished.

Took him for his morning walk today and he started limping on his front paw about half mile out. Had to carry him home (he's a Bichon, only about 20 pounds). After closer examination it was only a burr, but it got me thinking... "How much would I have been willing to pay in vet bills if it had been more serious?"

I started to talk to my wife about it and her reaction was, "I don't want to talk about it." I think she thinks if we don't discuss it, nothing bad will happen.

Which leads to the title.. and a question - how many have insurance on your pet?

I will broach the subject with my wife again, but I thought I would try to get an idea from some others.

Cross-posted to FW

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2007, 6:46 PM
Charlie.....I can tell you from experience....I've spent a lot of time and money when we had dogs......It's no object......One dog had to have some special eye surgery..several times......I can't wait until I retire and can have a couple of dogs again. Right now the wife and I both work and once of us needs to be home to house break a new pet.....but...I've spent thousands and will do it again.

George Morris
01-13-2007, 7:26 PM
Dogs give you unconditional love! We spent 350.00 when our cairn terrier when she took on a porcupine and lost ,she had over a hundred quils in her mouth nose and face missed her eyes ,I guess that is why they have long snouts!!

W Craig Wilson
01-13-2007, 7:41 PM
When we had to leave our last dog, Buddy, in an overnight pet hospital (following surgery) their intake form asked for a dollar amount that you would be willing to spend for an emergency. Struck me as cold and my heart wouldn't let me think about it. Later, after Buddy developed a heart murmur, we started thinking about whether insurance would be smart (for the next dog). The thousands we spent on Buddy's bills over his life time certainly would have been better spent on insurance. With our new dog, Sandy, we are getting insurance.

Jim Tobias
01-13-2007, 7:47 PM
Charlie,
My wife and I have 3 Bichons that sound just like yours. They are (in my mind) irreplaceable and therefore I have spent many a dollar on them. One of them had cataract eye surgery a few years ago (he was only 4 and almost blind). It has delayed me from having laser eye surgery to help my own eyesight. As much as they cost me, I would never be without dogs. I guess that I need that unconditional love that they are so good at giving. The best prayer I ever heard goes something like.... "Lord, please make me half the man my dog thinks I am".
By the way, as my 3 have aged, I have definitely considered insurance, but have not bought it as of yet.

Jim

Joe Pelonio
01-13-2007, 8:04 PM
Once a dog becomes a part of the family you find a way to take care of them. I've put a dog to sleep that was past his life expectancy and the vet told me that surgery, if successful, would give him another few months (cancer), because I didn't want him to have to go through the trauma of surgery for that little benefit. It seemed to me as selfish. On the other hand, our younger current dog swallowed a sewing pin, and it perforated his intestine (poked through) and became infected. The surgery was $3,200, plus another $400 for a night at the emergency vet because the regular one had no one on duty all night to watch him after the surgery. That's a lot of money and it was a hardship for us at the time. After that I did look into insurance, the best I found was $75/month, and it was $100 deductible for everything but the included checkups and vaccinations. We didn't go for it.

Charles McKinley
01-13-2007, 8:31 PM
It is a DOG. I have had to put down more than my share of pets over the years. Live on a farm for a while and discover that it is cheaper to make hamburger from a cow that had problems giving birth than calling the vet. Yes, even your beloved 4-H project.

With all of the people that could use a hand I cannot se spending thousands or even hundreds of dollars on a dog. The local shelters are over flowing with animals that have bee abandoned and could use a good home.

I think it is selfish and foolish to spend this kind of money on a pet.

Charlie Velasquez
01-13-2007, 9:07 PM
Thanks for your quick replies.

Charles - a few years ago I thought the same thing. Money was -and is- really a just a choice of wants and needs. I thought, "Mmmm. money on a pet, or money for my kids' college..?" Well, now all the kids are gone. Sammy was an "empty-nest' present from my daughter. When the choice was between a dog or my kids it was an easy decision. Now, not so easy.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Charles...........I've lived on a farm....slaughtered chickens, hogs.....Hunted squirrels, rabbits, deer, elk, pheasants, quail, doves, fished in the oceans, freshwater fishing in Canada, Idaho, Wyoming, Illinois, Colorado, Utah, Mississippi, Texas, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota......I'm sorry you don't feel as attached to pets as my family has. There's a difference! I elk hunted with a guy for 18 years. My only problem with him.....His horses and mules were pets...spoiled...and sometimes a pain in the rear as a result...But...they were his animals and I was a friend who had the privelege of having those spoiled animals carry elk out of holes that most humans couldn't carry a quarter out unless it was boned out.....

Pets to some are members of the family and as a result get treated differently.

Curt Fuller
01-13-2007, 10:46 PM
It is a DOG.

If it's your dog then maybe it's just a dog. If it's my dog, then it's a different story. My dog wouldn't take precedence over my wife or kids but he's pretty close behind them.

Charlie, I guess I'm a little like your wife, I don't want to think about it.

Jim Dunn
01-13-2007, 11:12 PM
No insurance as the dogs are way to old to insure now. Our littlest one is my wifes dog. As such she, and I, would spend what ever was necessary to insure her health and safety.

Now my dog is another story. "Get your dog out of here his paws are muddy"? She treats me like that too. I guess I could convience her to spend what ever I wanted to on him as well.

Don Bullock
01-13-2007, 11:49 PM
My wife and I own, show and breed basset hounds. We've had some enormous vet bills over the years.

One of our females suffered from total kidney and liver failure due to a bad reaction to an antibiotic. Fortunately we got her to the right vets, all trained by UC Davis I must add, at the right time and saved her life. Part of her treatment even included dialysis treatments to help clean out her kidneys. Her vet bills from that one incident were somewhere between $11,000 and $12,000. Actually I never added everything up. If trips between Los Angeles and San Diego plus all our other costs were included, it may have been even more. My wife and I never looked back at what we paid. She's a special member of our family and we needed to do everything that we could do to save her.

Would insurance have helped? Not much. We were well over the maximum for her bills for the policies that were available at the time. Since we own several (currently seven) bassets, having insurance on all of them would be very expensive.

I do understand that AKC currently has some excellent insurance for dogs available through them. The maximum amount of coverage has increased from what it was just a few years ago. If you have only one or two dogs, it might be worth the price.

Jerry Olexa
01-13-2007, 11:56 PM
I love my dog but do not carry pet insurance. We take him to the vet as needed and the $ seem appropiate. Just MHO...

Joash Boyton
01-14-2007, 12:22 AM
We have a tan and white border collie, he is a rare dog, because of his colouring for that breed. He has a large property, the beach, and everything else, He has never been sick, he is 5 years old, we have never considered insurance, and we probably won't.....

Tim Wagner
01-14-2007, 9:18 AM
If i had to spend the money on my dog, and I had the money to spend, I would, no questions asked.

Roger Bell
01-14-2007, 11:27 AM
We had a lab/shepherd mix that lived 14 years and who died just last summer. We started insuring her when she was very young. It starts out pretty cheap and then the premiums increase as the dog ages and the risk increases.

Needless to say, as she aged, she developed problems requiring extensive drugs, vet visits, etc. The insurance paid a significant portion of the bills and made the remaining balance easier to handle. We have a new dog now. She is also insured. In my opinion, and in the opinion of my (even more expensive) accountant, insurance is advised for those of our persuasion. I pay the accountant to save me money. I pay the insurance to save money.

Concerning how much is too much to spend, and where to draw the line..........that is a question that only you and your spouse are capable of answering.

Jim King
01-14-2007, 3:27 PM
I really prefer if my wife doesn´t tell me what these things cost. We have about 40 dogs and if we lived in the States it would not be impossible. Fortunatly here our vet is always building on his house or office and needs wood or furniture or something. Attached is a typical example of a street dog when he came and after he was refurbished. Very rare does she bring one home with hair.
It is very rewarding to say the least.

Bryan Somers
01-14-2007, 4:01 PM
Im not sure I want to figure up how much we have spent on our 3 yr old yellow lab Morgan in the last couple of months, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was $600.00 or more. She injured a cruciate ligament in her back left leg and thank goodness our vet didnt recomend surgery. After all how can you say no to this face

And is this spoiled or what

Al Willits
01-14-2007, 5:44 PM
Personally there's a lot more dogs I'd spend money on than people, sit in a courtroom for a bit as see how wonderful mankind can be.....
Wasn't two dogs that took a baseball bat to my grandmother, to steal the $36 she had in her purse.

We spend about $80 a month on our dog now, she has Addisons desease and the shot keeps her alive, I have no problem spending that.
Considering the enjoyment our dogs have brought us I'm not sure what the limit would be..

I was asked this question at work a ways back, and my reply was, does the vet take payments?

Al

Jim Thiel
01-14-2007, 6:15 PM
My wife and I have two dogs, boxers by breed. Calvin came to us through neighborhood intervention, and to date has put off the purchase of a jointer (really want the Yorkcraft 8") a larger planer (liking the Griz, leaning towards the York 20") and a new bandsaw (don't have one, but would like one). He was just a dog needing help. He is now part of my family. Knowing what I now do about what he needed, I would do it again.

Jim

Gary Herrmann
01-14-2007, 6:31 PM
To paraphrase the other posts, whatever it takes.

Stan Mijal
01-15-2007, 6:20 PM
Charlie,

After living all my life having one or more dogs in our family, the cost aspect is essentially a non-issue with me. ogs become valued members of ones family, in a sense, like a four legged child with a speech issue.:) Personally I value them as I would my kids, their well being is put above cost. My only question when they are in serious medical need, is whether I am making a choice to keep them alive through heroic measures and the quality of their life from that point on. Certainly, the most difficult type of decisions I have encountered in my 54 years.

This is our dog Sam. He is a few years older now. He is the first to greet me when I come home from work. He sits and cuddles on my wife's lap when she is grading papers, He sits patiently outside my workshop till I am finished.

Took him for his morning walk today and he started limping on his front paw about half mile out. Had to carry him home (he's a Bichon, only about 20 pounds). After closer examination it was only a burr, but it got me thinking... "How much would I have been willing to pay in vet bills if it had been more serious?"

I started to talk to my wife about it and her reaction was, "I don't want to talk about it." I think she thinks if we don't discuss it, nothing bad will happen.

Which leads to the title.. and a question - how many have insurance on your pet?

I will broach the subject with my wife again, but I thought I would try to get an idea from some others.

Cross-posted to FW

Jerry Olexa
01-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Charlie,

After living all my life having one or more dogs in our family, the cost aspect is essentially a non-issue with me. ogs become valued members of ones family, in a sense, like a four legged child with a speech issue.:) Personally I value them as I would my kids, their well being is put above cost. My only question when they are in serious medical need, is whether I am making a choice to keep them alive through heroic measures and the quality of their life from that point on. Certainly, the most difficult type of decisions I have encountered in my 54 years.

Stan: Very well said. I fully agree w your thoughts so well expressed..

john dennis
01-15-2007, 11:44 PM
If it's your dog, he's your responsibility and you darn well better take care of him. If you can't then put him down humanely.

Dan Gill
01-16-2007, 8:53 AM
Well, I can see we are all over the spectrum on this question. It's an appropriate and very difficult one for me right now. Our beagle Pippin went to the emergency vet last night to the tune of $650, money we don't have. For that cost we still don't know if she has an obstructed bowel or a tumor. We had an appointment with our vet for today, but my wife and son felt we couldn't wait. I was asleep and wasn't privy to the decision.

Of course, we could probably have found a vet to look at her yesterday, if we had decided it could not wait. These middle of the night things add greatly to expenses.

Today we take her to our regular vet for more x-rays, and probably surgery. Will we do the surgery? Yes. We'll eventually be able to pay off the cost. Will we do chemo or radiation, or extensive work if it's a tumor? No. We love our dogs very dearly, but there simply are no funds to fight a losing battle to prolong Pippin's life.

The worst is my son. His previous beagle died when he was 15 and fighting cancer himself. That hurt him more than the cancer did. We are very concerned for him right now.

Bill Lewis
01-17-2007, 9:10 AM
This is one of those "don't ask me, I don't want to know" type questions. My wife and I recent had to have one of our dogs, Brandy, put to sleep. It was one of the hardest things we ever had to do. See this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48077) for more details. Brandy had epilepsy, and we did everything we could do to keep her going, and she did everything she could do as well. We could have kept her going, but the inevitable reality was that the siezures had become uncontrollable, and longer lasting and we just couldn't let her endure them any more. We were completely out of options.

Over the almost three years that we had that dog we could have bought 10 or 20 more of the same breed for what was spent on vet bills and drugs. But we would never have the same dog. We received over 50 emails and well over a dozen sympathy cards and letters regarding this dog, not including the responses here on SMC. These were from people who knew her directly, or had heard about her though others. Everyone likes to think their dogs are special, and they are to us all, but this dog left an impression on so many people.

So now, believe it or not, we found another dog of the same breed. The breeders were sincerely overjoyed to find out that we were interested. This dog comes from respected breeders with no known history of epilepsy in the family history. But we are also aware that there are no guarantees. Unfortunately, the new puppy is having some issues with a possible UT, or Kidney infection, and she spent the night at the vet's office last night getting flushed out with IV fluids.

Before this she was losing all of her baby teeth all at once, and basically wouldn't eat. Then she was either injured by rough playing with the big dog, or had a strange reaction to the lyme diesease vacination as she wouldn't put any weight on her right hind.

Thsi is all very frustrating, and we'd really like a break, but we realize that all of this does come with the territory.

Rob Bourgeois
01-17-2007, 11:46 AM
I cant read all of the replies due to my recent dog issues.

I had my dog put to sleep on the Friday before Christmas. he had been fighting lymphoma and nothing we tried worked. While I cant say we had the money to spend...we spent around $4000. Would I do it again...YES.

When my daughter was about 3 or 4 months, old she made an odd noise while sleeping. We did not get up since she had been sleeping through the night and had no problems. Roux went nuts...he jumped over a baby gate and went into her room and started crying and making a fuss. I went into her room to get him and i put my hand on her and she was burning up. We ended up brining her to the ER. And the doc told us "I am glad you didnt wait till morning, I dont know how bad it would have been."

Roux got every chance and opportunity in the world. Even if he woudlnt have been so special we would have done the same thing...you take a pet in and you have to be fully reponsible for it...till the point where it doesnt start hurting your family.

Pet insurance...would have paid for it but based on my calculations...I would have paid more on preimums than what Ii spent on him in the 7 years we had him.

Stan Mijal
01-18-2007, 2:46 PM
WHat a beautiful pup Bill. Sorry to hear of your loss. The end process is the only part of dog ownership I sincerely dislike. We've been there enough times, often after valiant efforts , and it doesn't get any easier each time around. All you can do is realize how much of a true friend you were to your pup to help, console, and comfort it in its last days. Ironically, I would not be suprised if each dog is probably more concerned about its master, than itself, in those last hours. Their time with us is a true gift, which I'm sure you appreciate.

Post more pics of the new pup as she's growing--brings a lot of "smile-value" !:p

This is one of those "don't ask me, I don't want to know" type questions. My wife and I recent had to have one of our dogs, Brandy, put to sleep. It was one of the hardest things we ever had to do. See this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48077) for more details. Brandy had epilepsy, and we did everything we could do to keep her going, and she did everything she could do as well. We could have kept her going, but the inevitable reality was that the siezures had become uncontrollable, and longer lasting and we just couldn't let her endure them any more. We were completely out of options.

Over the almost three years that we had that dog we could have bought 10 or 20 more of the same breed for what was spent on vet bills and drugs. But we would never have the same dog. We received over 50 emails and well over a dozen sympathy cards and letters regarding this dog, not including the responses here on SMC. These were from people who knew her directly, or had heard about her though others. Everyone likes to think their dogs are special, and they are to us all, but this dog left an impression on so many people.

So now, believe it or not, we found another dog of the same breed. The breeders were sincerely overjoyed to find out that we were interested. This dog comes from respected breeders with no known history of epilepsy in the family history. But we are also aware that there are no guarantees. Unfortunately, the new puppy is having some issues with a possible UT, or Kidney infection, and she spent the night at the vet's office last night getting flushed out with IV fluids.

Before this she was losing all of her baby teeth all at once, and basically wouldn't eat. Then she was either injured by rough playing with the big dog, or had a strange reaction to the lyme diesease vacination as she wouldn't put any weight on her right hind.

Thsi is all very frustrating, and we'd really like a break, but we realize that all of this does come with the territory.

Bill Lewis
01-18-2007, 6:22 PM
Thanks Stan,
The new pup is about as cute as they get (we think :D ) It's strange, because we didn't think we would take the leap quite so quickly. A Friend told us shortly after learning about Brandy that "Brandy would find us some more happiness" and I'd ahve to say that she did. Even though we had known about these dogs, my wife didn't think she'd be ready to take the leap. After an encounter with them at the dog training facility (Xmas Party) we learned more about the dog's personality from the breeder. Her description was spot on for the type of dog we like (much like Brandy, but different). When we got home I suggested to my wife that given what we learned we might want to take another look at the puppy. It didn't take too much convincing for her to agree that we may not find the "right fit" for some time, and at the very least we owed it to Harley. Harley was really missing Brandy, not in the same way that people do, but he really likes a high energy companion. Besides, it's good for him, and keeps him fit. So to make a long story short you can guess the rest. We got Harley his new puppy, and he is really happy to have her, oh, and so are we.

So, even though the last few days have been kind of rough, I am happy to report that the new puppy, Daisy, is back home and doing much better. She's eating better, and her energy level is up and she is acting more normal. She is obviously happier now that she is feeling better. We're both breating a big sigh of relief.

I forgot to mention that recently we also had a sick cat (Simon the siamese) he too had to spend a night in the emergency vet hospital (think $$) He too got some sort of infection, and his potasium level was critically low. That's another story, but after another blood test this morning, I'm also happy to say that his electrolyte levels are up and holding without the supplements (light salt). This one had the Vet's severely baffled. Though we now think it was probably a kidney infection, it didn't show up in the blood work at either the Vet ER, or our regular vet office.

Sorry to hi-jack this hread, but I think it is in keeping witht he question of "how much would you spend...?" well, alot.

To satisfy the requests for more pictures of Daisy, here are a couple.

Stan Mijal
01-19-2007, 8:45 AM
Bill,

Looks like Harley found a new companion. We've had single dogs and pair, and the second dog provides a level of companionship I think most dogs truely appreciate. (Plus it makes us feel less guilty in the times we cannot devote enough time to them, or we are at work)
We currently have two Siberians, both 9.5 years old. THey are rapidly approaching the age where we will ultimately have to face their passing, and it is saddening. You never can find one to "replace" a family dog, but learn to appreciate the new ones differences and uniqueness, which it seems you and you wife have. That eases the sadness of the loss somewhat, along with giving some positive direction to channel your "pet energies". I'll never forget one comment made by our vet when we had to put our first dog down. He said "when they pass, there is a part of you that dies with them", I often think of the truth in those words. The relationship you share with that canine is so unique, it cannot be replaced, but lives on inthe memories....

Sam Chambers
01-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I've spent a few thousand on my Yellow Lab, Murphy, because he likes to eat things that aren't food. We've had to have bedding, sheets, towels and dryer sheets removed from his stomach and intestines. In the past year, I've spent almost $1,500 on surgeries.

To us, when it's something like an obstructed bowel that can be easily fixed, I'll spend the money. If it were something like cancer, the decision might be different.

Jess Rowley
07-13-2007, 1:37 PM

My boyfriend and I have a dog (Australian Shepherd), three cats (half-Manx; the whole litter), and a new kitten (just your average DSH; she was a feral and we took her in). That's 5 animals in total. Basically it would cost us way more to have pet insurance than it would to just deal with whatever comes along medically when it happens, especially because we do have a bit saved up for an emergency, as any responsible pet owner should try to do!

We have had our three cats (Neo, Nala, & Baby Girl) the longest - we brought them home when they were 8 weeks old, and they are now almost a year old. In all our time that we've had them, we haven't once had to take them to the vet for anything other than their first kitten shots and their rabies shot, which is mandatory here. I'm not just saying this, but they are the healthiest and most beautiful cats I have ever seen in person. And we are both very proud in the knowledge that we are doing all that we can to ensure they're living the safest and healthiest lives possible. These kitties are my everything, I love them to death, and I want them to be around forever... or at least as long as physically possible. I am a very protective mommy with them, and yet I still make sure they get all that they need to stay happy and healthy - they are like my kids!

Acer, our Aussie, is fairly new to the family. He's three years old now but we only just adopted him a little over a month ago. He is quite possibly the best dog I've ever had. He's incredibly sweet, calm, laid-back, super friendly to everyone, never barks unless there's really a reason, and he always listens. Not to mention I think he's absolutely gorgeous! He still needs to go to the vet to be checked out though, as I don't know just how well his last owners took care of him. His overall look and coat have definitely improved sine we've had him though, and he seems to be doing great (other than the fleas he came with).

The new kitten, who we have yet to name, is also due for a vet visit soon. Just for her first shots, and soon she needs to be spayed.

A lot of people think we're crazy for having all these animals, especially living in a one bedroom apartment, but I only wish I had the money and room to take in more. There are so many pets out there dying in shelters every day because people keep on breeding and breeding, and then people keep on dumping them off at shelters for one stupid reason or another. People just need to get their pets fixed. Spaying and neutering all the pet animals that weren't meant to have litters, and stopping cruel practices like puppy mills and BYB's (back yard breeders: people who only breed for profit and could care less about the animals) is the only way this is ever going to stop, or at least dramatically lesson. All this senseless killing is just so depressing... Try volunteering for a kill-shelter for just one week and you will understand. :( It doesn't need to be this way.

It is a DOG.
Just A Dog

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."

Authored by Richard A. Biby

With all of the people that could use a hand I cannot se spending thousands or even hundreds of dollars on a dog.
To some, like myself, pets almost are like people. Or in some cases, are liked/cherished even more than most people.

The local shelters are over flowing with animals that have bee abandoned and could use a good home.
Yes, this is true. It's incredibly sad, especially to see it first-hand almost every day as I do. But what are you trying to say? That there are so many out there anyway, forget about the sick or injured pet you have now because you can just go to the shelter and pick out a brand new one anyway? Like it's some kind of replaceable toy? See, this is the problem with so many people these days - they see pets as disposable things, things they can just replace on a whim. That is why there are so many in the shelters to begin with... When you take on the responsibility of owning a pet, you better damn well love it and care for it right till the end. If you can't do that, you should not be owning pets.

Some people actually love and care about their pets, just as some people love and care about their kids. I don't have kids, so my animals are my kids. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Sure, there are people out there who have pets AND kids and who care more about their kids, but I guess that's just how it is. Just as someone else here already said, just because they care about their kids more doesn't mean they don't also care very much about their pets.

It's most definitely not 'selfish and foolish' to spend a lot of money on something you truly love and care about - especially if it's to save that thing's life. You really shouldn't say something like that because it's disrespectful to a lot of people who do truly love their pets. Who are you to say their pets don't matter enough?

If it's your dog then maybe it's just a dog. If it's my dog, then it's a different story.
Just wanted to say, very well put. :)

Jess Rowley
07-13-2007, 2:30 PM
Personally there's a lot more dogs I'd spend money on than people, sit in a courtroom for a bit as see how wonderful mankind can be.....
Wasn't two dogs that took a baseball bat to my grandmother, to steal the $36 she had in her purse.

We spend about $80 a month on our dog now, she has Addisons desease and the shot keeps her alive, I have no problem spending that.
Considering the enjoyment our dogs have brought us I'm not sure what the limit would be..

I was asked this question at work a ways back, and my reply was, does the vet take payments?

Al
I definitely agree with you. And we're kind of in the same boat, money-wise. We spend well over $100 a month on food alone for our 5 pets. And no, they aren't fat at all! lol. I'm just extremely into pet nutrition, and I know all the horrible things that go into most commercial dry and canned pet foods (Iams, Purina, Alpo, Science Diet... all of it is pure crap), so of course I strive to feed my animals the best diet that I can, and can afford. Yes, we spend more money on them than we do on ourselves sometimes, but they give SO much more back to us. I don't know what I would do without them...

Matt Bickford
07-13-2007, 3:11 PM
In terms of insurance: don't insure anything you can afford to replace. If you can't afford to replace it (monetarily or emotionally or whatever) you should insure it.

Greg Peterson
07-13-2007, 3:12 PM
The way I see it, if you decide to bring a pet into your home, you assume the responsibility of providing good care. Having a pet isn't inexpensive. But then again, neither are many of the hobby's we choose to indulge.

As for limits, each family has to determine what is an appropriate amount. And then add at least another 25% on top that.

Certainly there are practical considerations when determining the limitations of care to be given, but care denied based purely on the fact that the animal is 'just a pet' or 'just an animal' is simply inhumane.

John Minnick
07-13-2007, 4:31 PM
I just got a second Bernese Mountain Dog and I am debating on whether or not to get pet insurance for the second one. I have had it on the first one since he was a pup. It comes in handy for some things but doesn't cover any kind of congenital joint conditions. Mine had both elbows operated on for displaysia and then tore his left rear ACL. I think those two surgeries totaled $10,000. I'd do it all over again if I had to. He is definitely one of the family.

Doug Shepard
07-13-2007, 4:32 PM
Acer, our Aussie, is fairly new to the family. He's three years old now but we only just adopted him a little over a month ago. He is quite possibly the best dog I've ever had. He's incredibly sweet, calm, laid-back, super friendly to everyone, never barks unless there's really a reason, and he always listens. Not to mention I think he's absolutely gorgeous!

Mine's only half Aussie but I couldn't agree more. Sounds just like my China (Aussie/Chow). Dont think I'll ever own another breed. They're awesome dogs.

I do have insurance on China. It's around $140 per year and so far I haven't had to file any claims but it's nice to know she's covered if big expenses come up. The other plus is that the insurance info is noted on her microchip registry info. So if she somehow gets lost and scanned, medical care wont be delayed until I can be contacted due to payment issues.

Jess Rowley
07-13-2007, 5:13 PM
Mine's only half Aussie but I couldn't agree more. Sounds just like my China (Aussie/Chow). Dont think I'll ever own another breed. They're awesome dogs.

I do have insurance on China. It's around $140 per year and so far I haven't had to file any claims but it's nice to know she's covered if big expenses come up. The other plus is that the insurance info is noted on her microchip registry info. So if she somehow gets lost and scanned, medical care wont be delayed until I can be contacted due to payment issues.
I'm guessing that's a pic of China in your av? If so, she's a cutie!

I really like the fact that the insurance info can be noted via her microchip - you never know, that could be a life saver! Definitely a plus, that's for sure. But let's just hope it never has to come in handy anyway. =)

Greg Peterson
07-13-2007, 5:40 PM
We have insurance on our two cats and dog. It's cheaper in the long run.

When the pets are young they tend to be pretty healthy. It's generally as they enter their senior years that you get on a first name basis with your vet.

Any dog lovers read the book 'A Dog Year' by John Katz? If you haven't, do yourself a favor and read it. Quick read that is both entertaining and enlightening.

Jason Boushard
07-13-2007, 6:59 PM
We have 5 cats 3 golden retrivers 2 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits. I spent over 1000 on my wifes cat a few weeks after she first got him. I would rather do that than go thru the alternative with my wife. all of our animals except the rabbits and pigs were abused 2 of the cats are blind and 2 of our dogs were so scared of humans that they were going to be permanent shelter dogs. Then theres stitch who is a big 3 year old puppy crazy dog. I Love my critters and would do anything for them

Doug Shepard
07-13-2007, 9:27 PM
I'm guessing that's a pic of China in your av? If so, she's a cutie!

Here's a better one from a few weeks ago.She mostly looks Aussie but has an extremely dense undercoat from her Chow half. She cant wait til the fall temps get here.

Jess Rowley
07-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Here's a better one from a few weeks ago.She mostly looks Aussie but has an extremely dense undercoat from her Chow half. She cant wait til the fall temps get here.
And she's got that classic blueish-purple spotted tongue! I think that's an even better picture of her, she really is a beautiful girl. (And she's not the only one looking forward to the cooler temperatures) ;)

Jess Rowley
07-13-2007, 11:50 PM
all of our animals except the rabbits and pigs were abused 2 of the cats are blind and 2 of our dogs were so scared of humans that they were going to be permanent shelter dogs.
You are a saint for rescuing them. Thank god there are people like you in this world! And same goes to anyone and everyone who opens their heart to a rescued animal.

Phil Thien
07-14-2007, 8:32 AM
You have to be kidding, I'd give my dog a kidney.

Tim Morton
07-14-2007, 8:37 AM
I have been watching "the dog whisperer" all this week with my new puppy...its been a great week:D

Robert Miller
07-14-2007, 9:47 AM
This is one of our three dogs. Her name is Vanna. She was 7 weeks old when we rescued her from the shelter.
When she was 3 months old she jumped off the bed and landed on her elbow.
She had to have surgery to repair the torn cartilage. I think the vet bill was a little over $1300.00
She is a family member, and we would do whatever it takes as long as it is in her best interest, not ours.
So, I guess the answer to your question is, there is no limit.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/P1110040.jpg

Robert Miller
07-14-2007, 9:55 AM
By the way, we rescue all of our animals.
This is how we choose them. We go to our local shelter, and we ask then what dog they are going to have to put down next.
We take them sight unseen, sick or not sick, big or small.
We have had dogs that are 15 years old that were given up because they were blind. Raj lived another 3 years with his new family ( us) until he finally passed away in his sleep. We rescued another dog Chloe that was given up because she barked constantly.
Now she plays with the other dogs and she sleeps all day.:rolleyes:

David G Baker
07-14-2007, 9:56 AM
I had a cat several years ago that developed cancer of the jaw. (I am convinced that is was caused by her chewing on expensive audio wiring and headphone cords) I invested over $1000 in her for surgery. She lived 1 month after the procedure after living through a horrible time trying to adjust to living with part of her jaw missing. If it is cancer I won't have it done again with a pet, but physical injury I will pay to have the injury repaired if there is any quality of life.

Brent Dowell
07-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Well, A little over a year ago, I was working at home, and my neighbor knocks on the door. He was having back problems and he asked me if I could help him take his dog to his truck, because he thought it was dying.

Went to the back yard and his black lab was laying there, completely out of it. I picked him up, carried him to the truck. Turns out his spleen had ruptured and he had bled out too much to save.

A few weeks later, I'm taking my black lab for a walk, and he just wasn't right. Just wasn't walking along like normal. Took him to the vet, and the vet took x-rays and sure enough, my dog's spleen had ruptured as well. In fact, I had grown to a tremendous size. It was all a bit overwhelming as I knew what had happened to the neighbors dog.

They told me I need to go to the the emergency vet. Took him there, they said it 'probably' wasn't cancerous, so we said to go ahead with the surgery. $4,000 bucks. They took a 14 pound tumor out of an 80 pound dog.

He's doing pretty well, but at 12 years old, he's definitely slowing down a bit. Would I do it again? I have to be honest, the answer is a maybe at this point. It would depend on the situation. Not so much about the question of the money, but more about the expected quality of life and such.

But I try to 20$ of affection out of him everyday until he pays the debt off ;)

Here's a picture of the old guy.

mark page
07-14-2007, 5:28 PM
OK, time to have a little humor here. I have had pets all my life and would do anything for them inside of rediculous measures (depends on the individual situation) and I respect that. This is just for humor purposes only and is the best CLEAN joke that I have ever heard.

A frantic lady goes to the vet with a closed shoebox. She opens the lid and inside is a parrot. The vet determines that this parrot is dead and offers his condolences. (Parrot is stiff as a 2x6 native oak board and can grab him by his feet and use him as a mallet). Now lady is hysterical and takes the emotions up a few clicks. She states that there is something you can do and I'm not leaving here till you do it, the parrot can't be dead. I won't take no for an answer. Hook the little wires up to him, thump his little chest, mouth to mouth resucitation, etc etc etc. The vet obliges and goes over to a door and opens it. Out comes a big Labrador Retriever dog. The dog goes over to the exam table and props both front feet up on it and looks over the bird from head to toe. The dog shakes his head and procedes back to the room. The vet then goes to a door on the other side of the room. Opens the door and a big yellow barn tomcat comes running out and hops up on the exam table. The cat then begins to sniff the bird from head to toe. Cat gives a great big grimace, shrivels up his nose, then shakes his head no. Now the vet tells the lady again the bird is dead and there is nothing that can be done about it, take the bird home and give him the ceremonial rites of your choice. The lady reluctantly agrees. The vet hands the lady the bill at this time. Lady goes berzerk, $650.00, this is outrageous, you didn't do anything other than look at the bird, how can this be? The vets reply was "If you'd have taken my word for it that the bird was dead, it would have been a standard office call charge, but with the lab report and the cat scan....................!!!!!!!

Larry Fox
07-16-2007, 5:11 PM
Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread. Interesting to read though. I have a dog and I agree with most of the posters here that I would (and have) gone to pretty extreme measures in terms of time and expense for him.

He is a boxer - about 10 years old at this point. There have been many $500 vet bills which we don't even really keep count of at this point.

Wost incident with him was an ACL surgery though. My wife and I lived in a 3rd floor apt at the time and the dog needed to have the surgery but that left the problem of getting him outsude for his business. No problem for me but there is no way that my wife can carry a 75# up and down three flights of stairs several times a day. Solution - we MOVED to a place where we could get him in and out easily. We then had the surgery - ~$2,000. For him to walk around, he has to have a covering on his cast so it doesn't get wet. The one that the vet gave us was the bottom half of an IV bag. My wife was taking him for his FIRST post-op checkup and he got nervous in the car and ate the bag - on the way to the vet. Vet said that there was no way he was going to pass it because the bag had a stiff spine in it and that it had to be removed immediatly before it blocked something. $600 to open him up and remove the bag.

The list of vet visits is quite long and distinguished - but he is a good dog and it is worth it to us.

Greg Narozniak
07-17-2007, 1:24 PM
Well as an owner of a almost 3 year old Belgium working lines German Shepherd, she would get whatever was necessary to be healthy. The Food she eats cost $70 for the equivilent of 40 lbs of food as well as RMB (raw meaty Bones), Vitamins, Salmon Oil, etc. added and she eats 1 and a half that a month so it is costly. Why do I do this? Because it is the best for her imho and she deserves it. When it comes to Vet bills it is the same way, whatever she needs, No Questions. When she is outside her coat shines and her eyes are bright and clear. My vet constantly says "Whatever your doing, keep doing it"

My previous dog was a GSD mix and I rescued her at 6 months and she lived until 15 years old. I have said it so many times over, If I could bottle the love that she had for me I would be a billionaire, Yes that much. When I adopted her I knew the day would come that she would be gone. The part I was NOT ready for was that the day would come when I had to make the decision to put her down. She could barely get up off the floor to eat or to go out but would try her hardest when I came home. That is love and I will never forget it.

Different people look at Pets differently for sure but in our house they are family and are treated as such No Matter What...

Charlie Velasquez
12-09-2017, 11:21 AM

Cross-posted to FW

I asked this question eleven years ago. I know the answer.... whatever it takes. He is family.
This morning Sammy succumbed to cancer. I will miss him.

George Bokros
12-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Sorry for your loss. We are pet people. We spent $5,000 on chem for a loved dog and it bought him 5 more years of life and love for us. The saddest part is we took him to vet on Christmas Eve because he was in pain. She gave him a shot and he was comfortable. In the evening on Christmas Eve he became in pain again. We took him top a 24 hr vet clinic and they told us there was little that could be done. We had him put to sleep on Christmas Eve. The worst Christmas in my life.

We currently have a dog that requires a shot for a allergy condition he developed and it costs us $140 / month. I am retired and obvisously on limited income but we will find a way to provide for his comfort. He is approx 9 yrs old and is a mixed breed of Rhodesian Ridgeback and German Shepard.

Jerry Olexa
12-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Agree with the thought "whatever it takes"...Pets are family members and we love them..They are loyal and unconditional in their love unlike many human conterparts..

As Mark Twain said" If there are no dogs in heaven, then I don't want to go there"....

Jim Koepke
12-09-2017, 1:44 PM
In our case it is cats. We have no qualms about paying vet bills for their needs.

Our cats have been like our children. Currently two or our cats adopted us and one was here when we moved here. Skittles came in an open door and stayed. That was over 20 years ago. He is now showing his age and we comfort him as much as we can knowing that he well soon be leaving us.

If we can keep him happy and alive a bit longer the cost wouldn't matter. He has given us more joy and love than we could ever return.

Our pets are some of our best friends. Money is only money, it never gives back any love.

jtk

Wade Lippman
12-09-2017, 6:24 PM
In terms of insurance: don't insure anything you can afford to replace. If you can't afford to replace it (monetarily or emotionally or whatever) you should insure it.

That sorta makes sense. You probably can't afford to replace your house and the insurance is pretty cheap; so you would be crazy not to have home owners.
But it doesn't apply to your dog. Unless you want to bet that your dog will have significantly more medical bills than average, insurance is economically foolish.

But how much for a vet bill....?
7 years ago our 10 year old had a seizure and was catatonic. We took her to an all night animal hospital and they kept her overnight. In the morning they said a neurologist had examined her and she had to be put to sleep. However, for $1,500 they could do a cat scan and tell us whether it was a brain tumor or a stroke. We had not even asked what it would cost to keep her overnight or consult a neurologist. She was our baby and we would pay anything to treat her, but paying $1,500 out of curiosity was nuts.
So that's how much for a vet bill.

The punch line is that we took her home. She got better over 6 months and lived another 6 years.

John K Jordan
12-09-2017, 9:45 PM
I asked this question eleven years ago. I know the answer.... whatever it takes. He is family.
This morning Sammy succumbed to cancer. I will miss him.

Sorry to hear that.

I have over 50 animals here and most are family to some extent. (I took llamas and alpacas to a Christmas parade just this evening.)

The hardest on me was when I lost my horse Sugar, a daily companion - we saw100s of miles of trails together.

If you are like me you'll keep lots of photos and think about Sammy often, remembering the good times. A friend even painted a picture of Sugar for me.

JKJ

Steve Peterson
12-10-2017, 3:01 PM
It is a DOG. I have had to put down more than my share of pets over the years. Live on a farm for a while and discover that it is cheaper to make hamburger from a cow that had problems giving birth than calling the vet. Yes, even your beloved 4-H project.

With all of the people that could use a hand I cannot se spending thousands or even hundreds of dollars on a dog. The local shelters are over flowing with animals that have bee abandoned and could use a good home.

Agree completely. Dogs are farm animals and can be replaced. This is even more true for cats, especially out in the country where outdoor cats often only last a few years because of the coyotes. Only a few smart ones last until old age.

edit: sorry, I didn't realize I added to a 10 year old post that had waken up.

Wade Lippman
12-10-2017, 8:01 PM
edit: sorry, I didn't realize I added to a 10 year old post that had waken up.

How does that happen?

John K Jordan
12-10-2017, 8:07 PM
How does that happen?

In this case, Charlie provided an update. I think sometimes it is after finding an old thread through a search.

Clarence Martinn
12-10-2017, 10:59 PM
Charles...........I've lived on a farm....slaughtered chickens, hogs.....Hunted squirrels, rabbits, deer, elk, pheasants, quail, doves, fished in the oceans, freshwater fishing in Canada, Idaho, Wyoming, Illinois, Colorado, Utah, Mississippi, Texas, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota......I'm sorry you don't feel as attached to pets as my family has. There's a difference! I elk hunted with a guy for 18 years. My only problem with him.....His horses and mules were pets...spoiled...and sometimes a pain in the rear as a result...But...they were his animals and I was a friend who had the privelege of having those spoiled animals carry elk out of holes that most humans couldn't carry a quarter out unless it was boned out.....

Pets to some are members of the family and as a result get treated differently.

I remember one story from about 15 years ago. A Man Married his Girlfriend. Everything was fine for the first 6 Months of their Marriage. Then, she started trying to CHANGE HIM !! The last straw was when the new Wife wanted her new Husband to get RID of HIS DOG, that he had for 12 YEARS!!! The Wife told her Husband " IT'S ME , OR YOUR DOG!! EITHER YOUR DOG GOES , OR I GO. WHAT'S IT GOING TO BE !!???!!"

The Man thought about it for a minute, and then came the words I will never forget !! This is what he said......

"Honey, I have known you for all of 12 MONTHS! I have had my DOG for 12 YEARS!! MY DOG IS STAYING RIGHT HERE !! "

They Divorced soon after that! His Dog was very happy to see her go !! LOL!:D

Mike Henderson
12-10-2017, 11:35 PM
We currently have a dog that requires a shot for a allergy condition he developed and it costs us $140 / month. I am retired and obviously on limited income but we will find a way to provide for his comfort. He is approx 9 yrs old and is a mixed breed of Rhodesian Ridgeback and German Shepard.

Check with your vet about a cytopoint (https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/cytopoint/index.aspx)injection. It's a new drug for allergies in dogs and is less expensive than what you quote - I pay about $55 per injection and it last for 8 weeks or more. It was like a magic injection for our dog.

Mike

James Pallas
12-11-2017, 3:28 PM
My service dog is my "wingman" and I'm his. I take care of him and he looks after me. Wife still works so it gives her peace of mind to know that he is always there or she would want me to have a sitter for me to take care of. He spends time with my wife when she is home but he always knows where I am. If I get too quiet in my basement shop he soon shows up just to check. When the wife is at work he's within arms reach. I owe him the best care he can get and have no problem giving it to him. I have had pets also and took good care of them also. If you have a pet you owe it to them to take care of them, you asked for them after all.
Jim

Jim Tobias
12-11-2017, 4:50 PM
[QUbest OTE=James Pallas;2753605]My service dog is my "wingman" and I'm his. I take care of him and he looks after me. Wife still works so it gives her peace of mind to know that he is always there or she would want me to have a sitter for me to take care of. He spends time with my wife when she is home but he always knows where I am. If I get too quiet in my basement shop he soon shows up just to check. When the wife is at work he's within arms reach. I owe him the best care he can get and have no problem giving it to him. I have had pets also and took good care of them also. If you have a pet you owe it to them to take care of them, you asked for them after all.
Jim[/QUOTE]

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
Jim Tobias

paul cottingham
12-11-2017, 6:16 PM
I had two cats that I got when my first wife left. They got me throuh my separation and divorce. When I met Sandi, she told me she couldnt live with cats. I told her they were non negotiable. She cried harder than me when they died. We were "fortunate," when they got sick, it wasnt a hard decision; their bodies had just shut down. my dad had a cat that made 23. She was maybe 8 lbs, and was alwsys tuning up cats (and racoons, when we still had the farm) that made the mistake of crossing her. Ours were completely indoor cats, on the other hand.
Still, 20 years is a good age for a couple of 20 pound kitties.
My father told the vet he would pay whatever the cost for "Kitty," but basically her organs had failed.
To answer the question: when we take on pets, we take on a responsibility. So cost doesn't enter into the equation.

Mark Carlson
12-11-2017, 7:08 PM
Vet care comes with having a pet. All adoptions agreements I've signed stress this. I know not everyone can afford all the things that modern vets can do. I had two cats that required radioactive iodine treatment to fix a thyroid tumor. They were pretty much wasting away. Both recovered completely and lived long and happy lives. Not an inexpensive procedure. Last week my male cat was vomiting so off to the the vets. Vet thought he might have eaten something that was blocking his intestine. 1st and 2nd x-rays were not conclusive. 3rd on 2nd day showed a blockage. His heart stopped during surgery got cpr and recovered, but died later that day. I dont regret the cost but wish we had gotten him to surgery quicker. Boy do I miss that cat.

Charlie Velasquez
12-11-2017, 8:12 PM
.... Boy do I miss that cat.

Mark, my condolences. Somewhere along the line, they become more than "pets". It seems the closer they get to "family" the more enjoyment they bring to the relationship. But, then, the harder it is when they leave us.

Edwin Santos
12-11-2017, 8:41 PM
I'm not a pet owner at present but thinking of rescuing a dog in the new year.

Forgive what might be a foolish question - Are there standards for what vets charge? Does it pay to shop around and if faced with an expensive procedure, obtain a second opinion and quote from another vet? Do some vets just charge way more than others in the same city?

mostyn harvey
12-12-2017, 8:04 AM
iv spent thousands over the years on vets bills for the dogs, and i will continue to do so until i decide not to have another dog, which i dare say will never happen!

Matt Marsh
12-12-2017, 8:34 AM
My 8 year old Lab, Wilson was diagnosed with bone cancer in one hip about two months ago. If I knew there was a cure, I'd sell the house and everything I own to pay for it. Since the diagnosis, I've been busy tending to his pain meds, and doing my best to keep him comfortable for his remaining days. If you think vet care is expensive now, wait until a larger portion of people have insurance.

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-12-2017, 1:30 PM
I'm not a pet owner at present but thinking of rescuing a dog in the new year.

Forgive what might be a foolish question - Are there standards for what vets charge? Does it pay to shop around and if faced with an expensive procedure, obtain a second opinion and quote from another vet? Do some vets just charge way more than others in the same city?

Edwin,
Rescuing a dog will definitely be a learning experience for both you and the dog. The key thing to remember is to have fun and enjoy each other's company while you learn to communicate with each other.

The answers are No, Yes, Yes. Like all professions, there are good ones, bad ones and phenomenal ones. Just because they claim to have the answers, doesn't always mean they have the right answers for your situation. You may need to visit several vets until you find the one that you and your pet both feel comfortable with.

Bill McNiel
12-12-2017, 3:17 PM
Cleopatra is allergic to virtually everything. We spend approximately $300+ per month on Vet visits, serums and pillls in an ongoing commitment to make her life as pleasant as she makes ours.

We had what was supposed to be top tier pet insurance for her predecessors (two male Goldens from the same litter) and it covered so little that we decided to never go down that road again. If anyone has had a positive experience with pet insurance please post.

Mike H- we are paying about $160 per injection. How much does your dog weigh?

Cleo is more than part of the family, she is our core.