PDA

View Full Version : Cheap bandsaw vs. Medium Jigsaw

Luke McFadden
01-13-2007, 6:18 PM
I'm starting a hobby of canoe paddle making. I'm going to go all hand tools, other than something for cutting the main shape from a big piece of wood. There are several jigsaws for $50ish that look great. But Lowes has a Delta Shopmaster 9" bandsaw for $100. I'm trying to decide which to get. I'd like to extend my woodworking as time goes on, but really, other than building some shelves in my garage and some small projects here and there, I'm really new to it all. I've got several books I'm reading to learn. But I'm still trying to decide which would be the best overall.

My goal is not making 30 paddles a week. Or even 30 a year. Meaning I'm not going to need top of the line stuff.

And if this bandsaw would even be able to do what I need it to. Or if a little better jigsaw would be the best? Maybe a scrolling jigsaw?

Thoughts?

Luke

Pete Bradley
01-13-2007, 6:52 PM
I wouldn't buy the $50 jigsaw or the $100 band saw. My experience is that cheap tools work poorly from day 1, but stay alive to aggravate you for years.

Pete

Richard Keller
01-13-2007, 7:05 PM
I wouldn't buy the $50 jigsaw or the $100 band saw. My experience is that cheap tools work poorly from day 1, but stay alive to aggravate you for years.

Pete

But never alive enough to work with :)

Seriously. Buy the Bosch 1584 or 1587 (Barrel grip or D handle depending on preference) and DO NOT look at the price. Never look at the price of a tool when you buy, or you will never get what you want. :)

Seriously, the Bosch is an awsome jigsaw, and you will be happy to use it for many years afterwards.

Richard.

Or .... buy a good bandsaw - Delta 28-276 isn't bad for a starter 4-500 bucks.

Ken Werner
01-13-2007, 7:13 PM
I've made several paddles. Depending on your design plans, there are some issues to clarify. If you are going to make laminated, bent shaft paddles, you may want to rip the laminations on a bandsaw, but it could certainly be done with a table saw, as they're only about 1 1/8" wide. Less wood wasted with a BS though.

If you are planning on laminating the blades, bookmatched segments really look nice. That also is good to do on a bandsaw, and again, you might get by with a tablesaw for the process.

For cutting out the shape of the blade, a coping, jig or bandsaw will do. You really just need to approximate the line, and do final shaping and fairing with a spokeshave anyway.

Having had 2 cheap and now one good bandsaw. My adivce is to not buy a cheap one. I could never get it to resaw well, and it was a constant source of aggravation. It was a 14" Harbor Freight. It could however, cut curves in thin wood just fine.

The black ones are carbon fiber made by Bob Zaveral. The wooden ones are mine.

Good luck, and post some pictures once you get going.

John Shuk
01-13-2007, 8:20 PM
I have that little Delta bandsaw. It works pretty well for what it is. It would work nicely for what you want.

John Bailey
01-13-2007, 8:23 PM
I've been making my own kayak paddles for years. I just recently bought an old Delta bandsaw and a Bosch jigsaw. I don't think a jigsaw would be as useful. I always have trouble supporting thin pieces when I'm using it. On the other hand, a bandsaw is made for this kind of work because the table is always supporting the workpiece. I used to have an old 3 wheel bandsaw. It was terrible. The blade always wanted to jump off the wheel, it never stayed tuned and it didn't cut very smooth. That being said, I got a lot of kayak paddles and mountain dulcimers built using it.

My advice would be to save up and look for an old quality bandsaw. But, if you don't want to wait, I would buy the cheap bandsaw and realize it will be an aggrivation and work around it.

John

jonathan snyder
01-13-2007, 9:26 PM
Luke,
Welcome to the creek! Don't buy the cheap jigsaw, You will just end up buying a better one sometime down the road! My first jig saw was a cheap one, when it broke a couple of months later I bought the Bosch. Wow what a difference. If you want a jig saw, but the bosch now, it will be $50.00 cheaper in the long run!

The same goes for a band saw, get a 14", now or you will wish you had later on. Look for a used one, check Craig's List or you news papers classifieds or sawmill creek classifieds.

Good luck with your paddles.
Jonathan

Brad Woods
01-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Luke,

If you want to go the jigsaw route, the bosch is a sure bet. I've used one for years and it is practically bullet proof. As to bandsaws, the saying that they "don't make 'em like they used to" really holds true.:D Check out www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com) and their discussion forum for some great information on the best machinery ever made. Just like old hand tools, you have to be careful about what you get, but the old machinery slope is just as slippery as the hand tool slope. How many people do you know that have a collection of table saws? The OWWM site has several. It is a world unto itself. Between my Dad and I, who both share a shop, we have 4 bandsaws, two of which are running and two yet to be restored, as an example of the maddness.:eek: Good luck on your decision. Used machinery is a great way to go. Sorry for the sermon. I'll get off my box now.:rolleyes: Back to your regularly scheduled hand tools. Hey, why didn't anyone point you to a turning saw? Check out the gramercy tools one at tools for working wood. Now I'm really done.:o

Brad

Richard Keller
01-14-2007, 7:13 PM
Luke,
Welcome to the creek! Don't buy the cheap jigsaw, You will just end up buying a better one sometime down the road! My first jig saw was a cheap one, when it broke a couple of months later I bought the Bosch. Wow what a difference. If you want a jig saw, but the bosch now, it will be $50.00 cheaper in the long run!

The same goes for a band saw, get a 14", now or you will wish you had later on. Look for a used one, check Craig's List or you news papers classifieds or sawmill creek classifieds.

Good luck with your paddles.
Jonathan

A very good point here - the cheapest tool is the one you only buy ONCE!

Richard.

Pete Bradley
01-14-2007, 9:14 PM
I'd start with the band saw as it's more versatile.

Pete

Luke McFadden
01-18-2007, 12:19 AM
I ended up getting the Bosch 1590EVSK after finding out that my neighbor has a bandsaw, plainer, jointer, and much much more, I decided to go ahead and get the better jigsaw. I'm not able to use it yet, but it just feels like a better tool. I'm excited to see how it performs.

Thanks
Luke