PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Bar Clamp problem

Matt Day
01-13-2007, 6:14 PM
I'm using some 48" Rockler Bar Clamps to glue up some drawers, and they're not working too well. I can't get the handles to spin smoothly!:confused: They were butter out of the box, but after the first time I applied pressure with them, I could barely unscrew them. I've tried giving them a knock or two to make sure they didn't bind up or anything, but it seems to be in the screw assembly. Has anyone experienced this?

Steve Clardy
01-13-2007, 9:16 PM
Sounds like soft metal in the head or the screw shaft.

Try to get some lubrication in there. May, may not work.

Karl Knoernschild
01-14-2007, 12:20 PM
I have had the same problem with mine - they bind up really easily when the plate goes a little out of square with the bar. I find that as I'm unscrewing them, I have to continually adjust the plate position to keep them going smoothly. Unfortunately, I don't have a better solution than that. I thought these would be great clamps, but they just don't work very well.

glenn bradley
01-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I would contact Rockler for a replacement. If they are all doing it I would get a refund and go with another brand. I have Jorgies that are years old and have never (shame on me) been lubed; they work fine. After this post I think I'll give 'em a bit-o-wax.

Matt Day
01-15-2007, 9:12 AM
After some more fiddling and cursing, I found that a good trick is to push the plate toward the handle while unscrewing. This releases some of the binding on the screw.

I really wish it wasn't necessary, and I probably should have ponied up for the Bessey's, but I think this makes them at least useable.

Frederick Rowe
01-15-2007, 7:33 PM
I bought a few of these after FWW gave them high marks for low flex, stand off feet, and a clamp screw which could still be turned when the feet were on a table. I have encountered the same problem when setting them to size, where the screw end binds as the clamp is tightened. I've learned to just apply pressure to the "foot" end of the screw as I tighten, preventing it from binding. Other than that, they are a good value for the price. Additionally, you can join two clamps together for a 96" clamp. Rockler sells a joint for about $19, but as shown here in these photographs, it can easily be duplicated in wood and about $4 in pins and hitch pin clips.

Tyler Howell
01-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Pretty Disappointing system,
Haven't used them since the first attempt.
Get what you pay for.

glenn bradley
01-16-2007, 1:36 AM
Oops, I should maybe retract my previous comments. I was picturing solid bar, bar clamps.