PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

Mike Shoemaker
01-13-2007, 5:05 PM
Ok, I picked up an old Craftsman TS. I know but it's all I can afford right now. Was working great, then all of a sudden I could barely turn the lift wheel. I've got it lying on ot's side on my bench. Is all lubricated, but it takes both hands to turn the wheel. Any ideas??

Don Bullock
01-13-2007, 5:43 PM
I just had a similar problem with my old Craftsman TS with the angle adjustment. After spraying it with a lot of WD40 it's now working just fine. Perhaps yoyr lubrication hasn't penitrated into the area that is stuck something like WD40 or a penetrating oil might free it up.

Mike Shoemaker
01-13-2007, 5:47 PM
I was just going down to do that. I fiqure to sray the pivot pin under the rack gear, The lift screw at both places and see what happens. Thanks for teh response. This is really agravating. I was going to start cutting for my workbench this weekend.

Dell Littlefield
01-13-2007, 5:49 PM
Be sure to look at the back trunnion. There is a tension bolt there that may be binding.

Mike Shoemaker
01-13-2007, 7:50 PM
Do you know about where this bolt is? I took the entire lift screw out. Sandpapered and polished it up some. Now I need to replace a couple of washers that were bent. Re-inserted it and seems to work smoothly, but still seems to catch every once in a while. Since I was at it I took the pully off from the arbor. It seemed to wobble. I don't have a dial indicator but on examination I found a chip out in the keyway. I'm determined to go over this thing until it's near perfect as I can get. This is my first saw and I'm getting to know it.

Dell Littlefield
01-13-2007, 7:57 PM
OOOPS! Sorry, I didn't read your post well enough. I was thinking tilt adjustment. Please disregard my post. Dell

Charles McKinley
01-13-2007, 8:48 PM
Hi Mike,

I have seen a lot of nice work come off of old Craftsman saws.

My favorite penetrating old is PB Blaster.

After you get things moving and polished up I recommend to wipe it down to remove the oil and use teflon spray for morotcycle chains. it stays on well and prevents dirt from building up like it does on oil. It is used on motocross bikes.

Mike Shoemaker
01-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the tip Chuck. I'll visit my auto parts store