PDA

View Full Version : thru-hole knob question

Dan Bundy
11-20-2003, 8:18 AM
Is there a way to (defeat, beat, overcome, remove) the nylon part of a lock nut? I got a pair of 3/8" thru hole wingnut-like knobs for a jig. They apparently have something like a locknut in them and become nearly impossible to thread all the way down the bolts (it's a hold down bar on a tenon jig). Seems to me that the lock-nut part is counter to what something like this is usually used for. The 1/4" ones I got did not have this "problem."

Thanks; and I'll hang up and listen to your answer. DB

Todd Burch
11-20-2003, 8:20 AM
Have you tried running a tap through it?

Lee Schierer
11-20-2003, 8:35 AM
YOu can overcome most nyloks with heat. You will need to get the nut or screw hot, about 250-300 degrees and then screw a screw into it and let it cool or put a nut on it and let it cool. If you are careful while its hot, you can dig out the nylon pellet with a sharp imlement.

Ted Shrader
11-20-2003, 9:30 AM
Dan -

Sounds like you got some bum knobs. I agree they should run on just like your ¼" ones.

I would go with Todd's suggestion to chase them with a tap. If you heat them to remove the nyloc, it seem there is a possibility that the wingnut could loose its grip on the metal nut. Heat is pretty non-selective when removing the plastic.

Regards,
Ted

Dan Bundy
11-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Appreciate the help. DB