PDA

View Full Version : Laminate Question

Brad Knabel
01-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi All,
I really like the look of Mark Marzluf's sled. I just got a new saw and would like to put something together for it. I don't think I need all of the features that Mark's got in his sled. But, I do like the laminate top.

If I want to do this I assume I need to laminate something to the bottom of the sled as well to balance things out. I think I recall seeing an inexpensive backer board for just this purpose that used to be sold next to the laminates at the big box stores. Neither of the home centers near me carries such a thing now.

The smaller sheets of laminate aren't that expensive, so I guess I don't mind laminating both sides with formica. But if there's something else I should be using I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

Jim Becker
01-13-2007, 10:06 AM
For something like this that isn't going to be "fastened down", yes, a backer is a good idea. Those quarter sheets of laminate are decent choices for small projects and sometimes you can get a deal on a, ummm....slow mover. (usually a color you wouldn't want in your kitchen or something like that... ;) )