PDA

View Full Version : "Stanley longs"-??

Ryan Cathey
01-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Direct quote from an ebay seller. Is their any truth behind this? "For a brief six year period, Stanley manufactured their #2 model plane with an 8 inch rather than 7 inch long body. These planes are generally referred to by collectors as the "Stanley Longs". The Longs are much more scarce than the 7 inch models. They came in both a japanned body and a blue body. This example is the blue. It needs a good cleaning but looks like it will have most of its finish behind the frog and partial by the front knob. The blade is full length and appears to have received little use. The lever cap has lost about half of its nickel plating. The wood is in good condition. I thought that the totes on the Longs were some sort of domestic hardwood but the tote on this one is definitely rosewood and appears original. Not an easy one to find!"

-Ryan C.

Mike Henderson
01-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Check Patrick's blood and gore. If there's any truth in it, he'll have a note about it.

Mike

Roy Griggs
01-12-2007, 10:57 PM
According to B&G Stanley made a late production of #2's that measure 8" with the last of the production being japanned in blue.
BTW Blood and Gore is available on-line to answer almost any question you can come up with about Stanley planes; a reference any tool guy should have saved at least in his favorites.
I can't speak to value...
roy

skip coyne
01-13-2007, 9:32 AM
heres the ebay item number
300068807691http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif

Ryan Cathey
01-13-2007, 1:11 PM
Thanks for the help everyone(and the item number too). It just sounded extremely fictitious to me seeing as many other planes are not their listed lengths.

-Ryan C.