PDA

View Full Version : Joints for captured hollowing rig

Alex Cam
01-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I've been toying with the idea putting together a captured hollowing rig together. I've got everything nailed except the joints. Does anyone know where I can buy the boring bar holder to weld onto the D-handle, the t-joint (or 4 way, actually) to attach the perpendicular laser bar to, and the T for the parallel laser arm? I'm at a loss.

Mike Vickery
01-13-2007, 1:42 AM
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=891-6318&PMPXNO=3905947&PARTPG=INLMK3

I believe this is what you want for the boring bar holder assuming you are making your D handle of 3/4 round stock.

If you find something good for the laser arm PM me.

Alex Cam
01-13-2007, 7:38 AM
Mike,

You're right on the money. I'll let you know what I find for the laser arm.

Alex Cam
01-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Bump.

Anyone?

Jim Ketron
01-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Alex I think a lot will depend on how you are making the D handle and laser arm
do you plan to use 3/4" cold roll for each?
I think you will have to buy the whole laser rig from one of the name brand hollowing rigs or just make your own. Or visit a machine shop they could make one easy.
I personally would not use a 4 way type of holder you can just buy a 3/4 rod coupling and drill the threads out for the Boring Bar to the D handle part weld the coupling to the D handle the tap 2 holes and use set screws for the boring bar. then all you would need to do is take 2 flat pieces of 1/2" or thicker steel 3"-4" long each. Then clamp them together or tack weld them together, drill a hole on one end right where they split apart in the center and use a drill bit just under 3/4". This hole can hold the laser arm. Now turn and drill another hole but this time split the two half's again but drill it in the side of the holder this will attach to the D Handle before taking apart or grinding the tacks down drill and tap at least 4 holes and use some Alan bolts to hold it all together on your set up.
you can make something similar to hold your laser pointer.

Alex Cam
01-14-2007, 3:17 PM
Jim - I was planning on making it out of 3/4 cold roll, but it look like I might be better off making it out of 3/4 black iron pipe, welding a 3/4" coupler onto the end to hold the boring bar, and like you said, tacking fittings in place to hold the laser arm. Thanks for the advice.

Alex Cam
01-15-2007, 8:05 AM
FYI, for anyone following this sad excuse for a thread, I emailed Lyle Jamison and he got back to me last night. He recommended using hard maple for the joints. Cut a block to the appropriate size, drill it out for the 3/4 (or whatever size) bar, then slice it in half and screw it back together around the bar (in the case of a closed-end like the 4-way for the laser arm.

Mike Vickery
01-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Alex that is actually what I did on my system for the laser arm. I did it in a t shaped so that it would be less likely to twist. With the welds in the joints though I needed to do some carving at the corners for it to fit right.

Mark Cothren
01-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, here's a sad excuse for a reply to this "sad excuse for a thread"...:eek: Dennis and I built my joint for the laser arm out of some hardwood, and after 6+ months of use it's very, very sloppy. I wish I'd have built it heavy-duty the first time - and will this next time I redo...;)

Frank Kobilsek
01-17-2007, 9:12 AM
Guys I was at the welding shop last night sketching out my handle for a captured system. I was heading down the pipe road. My thought was that the tool shaft could fit father up into the handle. How much grip (length) do you need on the tool shaft?

Next question: Laser is just a regular laser pointer like one might use in a business presentation. Right?

I borrowed and watched the Jamison video over the weekend and I starting to think I have made this way to complicated in the past. After all, I am an engineer.

Frank

Alex Cam
01-17-2007, 9:35 AM
I borrowed and watched the Jamison video over the weekend and I starting to think I have made this way to complicated in the past. After all, I am an engineer.

That's funny - I suffer from the same affliction! Thus my fear of walking into machine shops and trying to explain what I want. I get confused looks and responses that start with "You know, it'd be a lot easier if..."

The laser can be any ol' laser. As far as how far the boring bar needs to be held, I can't help you there. I was planning on having a 3/4" ID coupling welded onto the end of the handle. Not sure how far the tools would sit in there.