PDA

View Full Version : Birdseye Maple veneer sources?

John Miliunas
11-19-2003, 11:06 PM
LOML is stuck on redoing the kitchen cabinet doors with Cherry frames and Birdseye Maple field. I've searched around Google, but not readily finding a lot of sites with the BM veneers or associated pricing. Anybody here have a good, reasonably priced source that you may be getting such an item from? Also, not having veneer experience, other than laminating plastic goods, any advice, tips or "educational" sites one may refer to? Much appreciate any help/info! :cool:

Dave Smith
11-20-2003, 4:43 AM
Hi John,

I have had good results with Certainly Wood. Give them a call. They are really good to work with.

http://www.certainlywood.com/index.htm

Good luck.

Dave Smith

Just a little past my bed time in Longview, WA.

chris toomey
11-20-2003, 8:38 AM
i'll second certainlywood. i've had good good experiences with them, and their selection is huge!

Dave Brandt
11-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Holy Canoly!! Certainly Wood has an unbelievable selection of veneers!! I had no idea wood could look like some of their samples. Pardon me for babbling, but I was blown away! Thanks for posting their URL!!! Definitely gonna try them out. Now just gotta figure out which ones I like best!

John Miliunas
11-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Holy Canoly!! Certainly Wood has an unbelievable selection of veneers!! I had no idea wood could look like some of their samples. Pardon me for babbling, but I was blown away! Thanks for posting their URL!!! Definitely gonna try them out. Now just gotta figure out which ones I like best!

I'll second, third and fourth that! Wow...Some beautiful examples! I think even LOML might settle for something other than the Birds Eye, seeing as to how there are so many others almost as impressive, but for lesser monies. Yeah, thanks much for the URL, Dave! I think I've stumbled across them once before, but hadn't gotten actual user feedback on them. Appreciate it! :cool:

Jamie Buxton
11-20-2003, 12:12 PM
John --
If you're willing to play the auction game, there's a surprisingly large market in veneer on Ebay. I've bought good stuff at remarkably low prices. Look for sales by thouge. (And if you're going to play Ebay, look into www.esnipe.com. It is a tool that allows you place bids at the last second without being at your computer.)
As for educational sites and tips... There's a book called The Veneering Book by David Square (Taunton Press). It covers vacuum veneering pretty well. IMHO, a vacuum press is the only way to go with a project this big. I built my first 20 years ago, and would never go back. www.vacupress.com is one manufacturer of presses. They also distribute urea-formaldehyde glue, which is popular for veneering. There's also www.joewoodworker.com, where you can find instructions about building your own press from skratch, and buy some materials.
Jamie

Dave Avery
11-20-2003, 1:55 PM
John,

I second EBay as a source. I've purchased a lot of veneer and never had a problem. Sellers I've had good luck with are "thouge" and particularly "lepkowski". Dave.

Jim Young
11-20-2003, 2:18 PM
I've dealt with Certainly Wood also. They are great to work with. I talked to on eof the guys who actually picks the wood and told him what I was after as far as size and grain pattern. The guy hit the mark. I am very pleased with them. Never tried e-bay with veneers, although have had luck there with turning wood.