PDA

View Full Version : Manly man stuff

Joe Melton
01-12-2007, 8:30 PM
I'm off to do a gun show tomorrow, figuring that might be a good place to raise some cash. In preparation, I made some stuff from dead animal parts, figuring that would appeal to the crowd. I'll show these in a series of grisly photos.
Here is an antler pen that comes with an engraved box.
Joe

Joe Melton
01-12-2007, 8:32 PM
Here is a rattlesnake pen with a custom box.

Joe Melton
01-12-2007, 8:34 PM
I made these in rustic and gentleman's styles.

Joe Melton
01-12-2007, 8:36 PM
No turning involved here, unless you count drilling and sanding on a ribbon sander. These are real easy to make, and I am curious to see what sort of reception they get.

Joe Melton
01-12-2007, 8:38 PM
Something for the missus and for the younguns. The kaleidoscopes are elk and cedar. The cedar is real colorful, but the photo isn't.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 8:44 PM
I'm off to do a gun show tomorrow, figuring that might be a good place to raise some cash. In preparation, I made some stuff from dead animal parts, figuring that would appeal to the crowd. I'll show these in a series of grisly photos.
Here is an antler pen that comes with an engraved box.
Joe

Joe...........when you get around to turning stuff from live animal parts....Give me a call will you?.....I want to watch those!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Nice projects Joe! I hope sales go well for you tomorrow!

Joe Melton
01-12-2007, 8:45 PM
These were sort of fun to turn, sorta like bottle stoppers, except for when the forstner bit got caught in the Ziricote. These kits came from Rockler.
From left to right: Bocote, Douglas Fir, Luan, Jatoba, Ziricote, Black Cherry and Bubinga.
The hard thing about these is fitting the ferrule. I didn't do a very good job at that step, but it just makes them look more hand-made!
Thanks for looking!
Joe

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2007, 9:34 PM
Really nice work Joe! Have to figure that a gun show would be the perfect place to sell these. Best of luck to you!

Jim Becker
01-12-2007, 10:14 PM
How'd ya get the rattle snake to stand still long enough to eat the pen-innards?? :D :D :D

Seriously, I think you chose well for the venue...these items should be very much in appeal. You may also get some commission work to turn "their" dead animal parts into mementos of similar ilk to the items you're bringing to the show. First rule of marketing is to know your audience!

Bill Boehme
01-12-2007, 10:41 PM
No turning involved here, unless you count drilling and sanding on a ribbon sander. These are real easy to make, and I am curious to see what sort of reception they get.

I like those castor oil spoons -- gets it down past your tongue quickly.

Where are the promised pictures of turnings using dead grizzly bear parts?

Bill

Jon Shively
01-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Yep, think you have your target audience in your sights! I am finding a lot of hunters have small racks laying around they didn't want to invest money in mounting but now can carry a pen from that deer's rack and have a story to tell. Am getting a little inventory of antler through my promotion of a pen for $25 and I keep the remaining antler, $50 for the pen if they don't provide the antler. Good luck at the show, loved the variety of stuff you have on hand.

Tom Sherman
01-13-2007, 7:14 AM
Really cool Joe, you have a broad variety of goodies should generate a lot of interest, hope it goes well.

John Hart
01-13-2007, 8:21 AM
Excellent Joe!! All very nice pieces! Good luck selling your butchery.;) Like Jim, I'd like to see the snake show next time. Sounds cool.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
01-13-2007, 9:15 AM
Quite a nice collection Joe. You've got some really cool stuff there!:) I'm with Ken, when you strap that live animal to the iron let us know or post video.:eek:

Gary DeWitt
01-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Pretty funny, Joe. I like your pieces and I think you have your market nailed, let us know how it went.
Now, how about a video of a live turning of huevos del toro? They're already round to start with, but I'd be very interested in how the bull reacts!!:D

Ed Scolforo
01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Cool stuff, Joe! I'll bet you do well.