PDA

View Full Version : Used table saw opinion

Joe Trotter
01-12-2007, 8:27 PM
I have been looking for a while now for a used table saw. Some of the guys here suggested I watch craigs list for an older sears cast iron top saw. The model number is 113.298762

I found another and wanted an opinion on the style. Would this be a good starter saw? It's about a two hour drive to go look at it. The last two I found were chinese saw's.

Thanks, Joe

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/261445681.html

Doug Shepard
01-12-2007, 8:46 PM
I used to have a Cman contractor saw. It wasn't the same model but from the pic the fence looks to be the same one. That fence was horrid. Darn near impossible to get parallel with the blade without measuring numerous times at the front and back of the blade and tapping into alignment. If you're planning on changing the fence anyway, then no problem but if it were me I'd keep looking.

Jim Becker
01-12-2007, 8:51 PM
That's kinda the very low end of the older C-Man...it's almost a benchtop if it isn't, despite the cast iron wings. Doug's experiential comments about the fence are also troubling. If it's a belt-drive model, it might be fine with a fence-retro fit, but I'm not sure it's belt drive from the picture.

josh bjork
01-12-2007, 8:51 PM
I would personally pass. It depends how hard up you are but it looks pretty basic there and I'm cheap. I think the idea is more to buy the $800 saw for $400 not the $50 saw for $150.

Your craigslist seems pretty busy compared to Iowa's. Have you tried a want add in there? It seems like there aren't many for sale here during winter so it may be slow there too?

Joe Trotter
01-12-2007, 9:28 PM
Thanks guy's, i'll pass on it based upon your responses.

glenn bradley
01-12-2007, 9:34 PM
I believe that is a direct drive machine, especially from the claimed HP. I wouldn't go that way, IMHO.

Don Bullock
01-12-2007, 9:35 PM
Good idea Joe. That saw is similar to the one I have from the mid '70s. Mine is a little larger, but it has stamped steel wings that are almost useless. In its day it was a good saw and all that I could afford. By today's standards, it's not that great. As has been stated the fence is very hard to square up. I get by with it, but I wouldn't recommend one to you.

Joe Trotter
01-12-2007, 9:39 PM
I believe that is a direct drive machine, especially from the claimed HP. I wouldn't go that way. IMHO.

I looked up the part number on the sears parts website and is appears to be a belt drive. That is why I was interested in it. But I value the advice given here so I will pass. I feel like a volkswagen guy looking for a used porsche :)

BTW, thanks again for the manual. I looked for it on the sears parts website several weeks ago and found one view. I was happy you had the whole thing. I printed it out today.

Joe

Joe Trotter
01-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Found a rockwell this morning that I am hoping to look at. These are good saw's correct?

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/261875387.html

scott spencer
01-13-2007, 11:44 AM
The going rate on those old Emerson made Sears saws is closer to $100 around here depending on condition. At $100 it's worth the price in parts alone, and could still be turned into a workable saw for a bit more money. Iv'e bought and sold 3 similar 113.298 saws...those were definitely belt driven. It's essentially the guts of a modern Ridgid 3650 contractor saw, but were made in the US by Emerson. The 3 of mine all had 1hp US made motors. What they state as "3hp", is likely 1.5hp at most...they state a maximum developed hp, which is about double what it really is. You'd want to put a new fence on it, but the good news is that the junky stock fence will get $40-$60 on a popular auction site. It's still more saw than $100-$150 will get you elsewhere IMHO, and it has potential to become a decent tool if the mechansisms all work well....2 hours is a long drive though....gas and time are worth something too.

The Rockwell could be upgraded into a functional modern tool also...you'll likely want to replace the fence on that one as well.

David G Baker
01-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Joe,
The Rockwell, in my opinion is a much better choice than the Craftsman. The Craftsman looks like a direct drive. It is an ok saw until you have a motor problem then that is pretty much the end of the saw due to the cost of replacing the motor.
If the Rockwell was in my area of Michigan I would consider buying it myself.
I have cast iron topped Craftsman with double wings from the mid 60's and it has served me well and is still doing so with the exception of the fence which was replaced several years ago with the after market one that Sears sold. I have been happy with the after market fence. The saw is pushing 40 years and I am watching the classifieds and Craig's list for the right saw at a good price.
David B

josh bjork
01-13-2007, 12:52 PM
You could try to get pictures of the ones with no pictures. Or go see them in person. They can be the gold mine too.

Joe Trotter
01-18-2007, 9:27 AM
Found a rockwell this morning that I am hoping to look at. These are good saw's correct?

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/261875387.html

I found out this is a model 34-770

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/DeltaHtml/TableSaws/CS4C.htm

It is only 1 horse power. Were the older saws rated differently? Is it worth looking at considering it is 1 horse power?

Thanks guy's I do value the feedback.
Joe

Joe Trotter
03-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I am still curious if one horsepower is enough on these older C-man saws.

I am considering this one now.

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/284236836.html

Thanks, Joe

James Carmichael
03-06-2007, 1:02 PM
Joe,

From what I've read, probably so.

I just bought an old Emerson-built Cman saw (don't have the model# handy). The motor shows 1 1/2 HP. I had to show that to the seller to convince him the 3HP printed on the front of the saw was bogus. He thought he had something on the order of a Unisaw.

I ended up paying $150, probably a bit more than I should have with no miter gauge and a useless fence, but folks around here are awfully proud of these things and the few bargains on CL disappear faster than I can move.

Was able to pick up a link belt and PAL on closeout during Woodcrafts sale Saturday.

Next up will be the fence. I like the Vega, but that's a bit more than I've got the budget for right now.

Joe Trotter
03-06-2007, 2:01 PM
Joe,

From what I've read, probably so.

I just bought an old Emerson-built Cman saw (don't have the model# handy). The motor shows 1 1/2 HP. I had to show that to the seller to convince him the 3HP printed on the front of the saw was bogus. He thought he had something on the order of a Unisaw.

I ended up paying $150, probably a bit more than I should have with no miter gauge and a useless fence, but folks around here are awfully proud of these things and the few bargains on CL disappear faster than I can move.

Was able to pick up a link belt and PAL on closeout during Woodcrafts sale Saturday.

Next up will be the fence. I like the Vega, but that's a bit more than I've got the budget for right now.

What is a PAL?

James Carmichael
03-06-2007, 2:08 PM
Sorry, I should have said "PALS"

http://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_products.htm

Roy Clarke
03-06-2007, 2:16 PM
You'll hate me as I'm always outside the box, but have you looked at something like the Festool portable saws and their guide rail? The TS75 will do a 75mm cut, and the accuracy is good enough to cut from the other side if you need to cut something really thick. They do a small table for the fiddly jobs. The only thing it doesn't do is dadoes.

Joe Branch
03-06-2007, 7:17 PM
Hi Joe,

I say 1 hp is not enough, but 1 1/2 hp will get you through anything you can feed the table. The motor does not look the original, but you do want a TEFC motor. I have both both models 113.299315 and 113.298761. The one I'm using is #113.299315 it has the same fence as the craigslist item but with the C-man name.

My first C-man cam with a stand and a few saw blades for $200. Its made by Emerson and has many of the same parts as the Rigid Table Saw Model TS2412(http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/288476180.html) My second one was $75 with a lot of rust and a open motor. I brought for spare parts but since it cleaned up so nice I might resell it some day.

Happy hunting Joe, continue to save your money and don't leap to a premature purchase. I'd expect you to find a nice saw for $200-250.

Good luck,
Joe

Joe Trotter
03-06-2007, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I will continue to search.

Joe