PDA

View Full Version : Stroke Sander Or Drum Sander?

"Jason Belous"
01-12-2007, 7:29 PM
Looking for a little advice on a tool purchase. I am looking to purchase a larger sander than what I am running currently, I am not looking to enter the 5 digit catergory if you follow me. I have a chance to purchase a mini-max L55 stroke sander but have not experienced these at all. I have looked around and I can probably get a drum sander that will handle 37" for about the same price, any advice would be greatly appreciated. P.S. this is a used stroke sander. pros and cons from your experince may help me make a decision. Thanks for the knowledge. P.S. if i want to be upgraded to contributor status is that as easy as doing as making a donation or is it something more?

Bernhard Lampert
01-12-2007, 8:21 PM
I have a MM L55 and just purchased a small wide belt sander to replace a 24" double drum sander.

The choice between drum sander and stroke sander depends on your kind of work. IMHO, a stroke sander cannot be beat for finish sanding sheetgoods, especially veneered panels (unless you opt for high end widebelts in excess of 25k). I does take some practise, but after a short time you'll sand pretty much anything. I think a stroke sander is much more versatile, leaves a better finish, sanding belt changes are easier and quicker and does not tend to overheat and burn wood. You can sand larger pieces. The downside is that a stroke sander cannot be used to sand to final thickness.
I for one was never able to get a piece through the drum sander that didn't require touching up. If I had to choose between a stroke sander and drum sander, I'd keep the stroke sander.
...just my $0.02
Cheers,
Bernhard

Jim Becker
01-12-2007, 8:29 PM
Bernhard's advice is good...your choice needs to be based on the work you want to do. The downside to drum sanders is that they cannot take things to finish due to "regular" scratching. Wide-belts get around this due to both increased surface area on the belt and the oscillation they have that insures that the same particles on the belt are not hitting the same place on the workpiece as the belt goes round and round. The shear length of the abrasive on a stroke sander does a similar thing.

It's interesting that you bring this up as I had a similar inquiry from a friend earlier today by email...must be the phase of the moon... :)