PDA

View Full Version : What sharpener should I get?

Bill Wyko
01-12-2007, 6:46 PM
When I was building the last segmented bowl I had to freehand sharpen my tools then when I started turning the top half of the last segmented bowl I almost blew the thing to peices:eek: My gouge caught and made a trench all the way across the top through 3 of the rings. I thought it was ruined. Then i finshed up with a scraper and was able to bring it back from disaster. I guess angle and uniformity are crucial.
So the question is, what is the best way to sharpen my tools?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 7:05 PM
Bill...........IMHO...sharpening is both an art and science and takes time to learn. When the inmates here lathed me last year, I was advised to buy a slow speed grinder and a sharpening jig. It's easy to overgrind when you first start sharpening and thus grind away a lot of steel. I was advised and did buy a slow speed Woodcraft grinder and a complete Wolverine grinding jig system. While one theory says you need to learn to grind and you can learn to grind free hand....the other group says to a beginning turner you 'll be more frustrated learning to sharpen so get a jig and start learning to turn to keep your enthusiasm up.....Well I still can't grind freehand but can use the Wolverine jig system quite well.

With HSS tools it really doesn't matter what speed the grinder is....but with a slow speed grinder you have more reaction time to think...that's enough....

Buy a grinder with 8" white wheels........the 8" grinder will produce a flatter bevel to ride.

Good luck with you decisions!

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2007, 7:07 PM
I agree with Ken.
I use a slow speed grinder and a wolverine type setup. Works great and repeatability is a good thing. :)

Bill Wyko
01-12-2007, 7:28 PM
What do you all think about the jet wet wheel sharpener? I saw it in my woodcraft catalog and they sell it with a turning kit. Kind of pricey but my attitude has always been "the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten" If you think the one you have will be better can you tell me where to get one? Thanks for the info.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 7:42 PM
Bill.....If Dennis doesn't respond......send him a PM .....He has the Tormek version of this and the Woodcraft slowspeed grinder/wolverine jig IIRC. He's compared the two.......

Bill Wyko
01-12-2007, 7:59 PM
Thanks Ken.

Carroll Courtney
01-13-2007, 9:26 AM
Bill,I ask myself that same question several mos. ago.I price a grinder,fine stones,jigs.For alittle more money you can get the jet water grinder or the tormek.Yes the jigs cost,but you can sharpen anything in the shop and the learning curve is less than w/ other methods.Look at the resell , it will be easy.I purchase one second hand and purchase a few jigs as I need them.Plus it inspired me to build a sharping station.This is just MOP,the very reason I love this place.You can ask and get alot of ideals.Good Luck Carroll

Gary DeWitt
01-13-2007, 10:23 AM
What grinder you get is up to you, an 8" slow speed with white wheels works for me. A grinding jig is a must IMHO. Trying to learn to turn and sharpen freehand at the same time is a recipe for frustration, and people have quit turning over this.
Here's a link to some video from Oneway on the wolverine system, works for me.
http://www.oneway.ca/multi-media/wolverine_videos.htm
You can also build your own if you have the time:
http://www.a1studio.freeserve.co.uk/widgets/grindingjig/grindjig.html
There is also a whole DVD on the subject available from AAW, very detailed and well produced:
http://www.woodturner.org/products/videos/
Dull tools is one of the most common errors turners make early on.
Have fun and good luck.

Jim Young
01-13-2007, 11:21 AM
I have both the Tormek and a slow speed grinder with the Wolverine jig set. For my lathe tools I strictly use the Wolverine set up. It's soooo much faster and is just as accurate. And, since I don't use the tormek every day I would have to fill it up with water and afterwards clean up the mess, again too much time waisted for turning.

Bill Wyko
01-13-2007, 4:43 PM
Gentlemen, thank you all very much. I'm going to see if I can find something used if possible. I thing I'll order that dvd on sharpening to try to get a handle on this. I just bought a new hollowing tool and it was awsome compaired to my other generic tools. If any of you want to part with a sharpener please let me know. Thanks again.

Mel Reed
01-13-2007, 5:11 PM
I have the wolverine system and an 8" grinder rpm's 3450 recommended for the system it works far better than and faster than freehand.
Mel

Charles McKinley
01-13-2007, 9:03 PM
Hi Bill,

Many moons ago Ken Salisbury (sp?) used to swear by a belt sander and had been using it free hand for many many years. Then he tried a wolverine. and switched. The are plans out to build a similar set up out of wood if you have more time than money. I believe that pen state has a similar set up available as well.

I love my wolverine set up and the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. If I was buying again I think I would go with the regular speed or the dual speed grinder.