PDA

View Full Version : Toolrest Poll

Joash Boyton
01-12-2007, 6:30 PM
Just a quick poll I thought I'd put up....self explantory.

Joash

Keith Burns
01-12-2007, 6:39 PM
Ok, Joash, you are wrong. Do we all do it ? Probably at one time or another. Is it safe ? NO. All it take is accidently knocking the rest into a spinning piece turning at 900 rpm and the rest catching and at best damaging the wood, at worst causing it to come apart and throwing a piece into your face which break's your nose. That is asuming your are practicing other unsafe things like not wearing a faceshield.

Lisa Gilbert
01-12-2007, 7:05 PM
I voted no, but I'm brand new to turning and I'm a chicken. I'm also trying to set a good example for my boys when they use the lathe -- I should probably follow the rules I insist they follow. And my husband claims he likes my face the way it is....

Reed Gray
01-12-2007, 7:11 PM
Mostly I turn bowls. When I am just starting up a bowl, I will set the speed at about 100 rpm, then move the tool rest and banjo into position, before turning the speed up. While turning, when I need to move or adjust it, I will do it without turning off the lathe. I know where the wood is, and don't have any problems. It is pretty much the same thing for spindles. I do a lot of this, and have learned. I wouldn't recomend it for everyone. It can be done safely, but caution must be used. One quote I heard was " a tool rest makes a lousy scraper".
robo hippy

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2007, 7:14 PM
I move the toolrest sometimes while the lathe is still running. But I always try to stop the lathe, adjust and get back to it.

Which reminds me....I really need to get back to turning one of these days. :rolleyes:

Bonnie Campbell
01-12-2007, 7:16 PM
The only time I move the tool rest when the lathe is still turning is if I am pulling the rest away from the wood.

Curt Fuller
01-12-2007, 7:37 PM
At our turning club whenever any of the members are giving a demo it always happens. Someone moves the rest with the lathe running and as they do it they always say "this is something you should never do".

I'm as guilty of it as anyone but I also know that almost all accidents occur when we're doing something that we do all the time and usually get away with it. It would be a good practice to get into, stopping whenever you move the rest.

Jim Ketron
01-12-2007, 7:50 PM
It depends on the situation for me!
If the piece is rounded already and I'm using a round tool rest I do.
If I'm using the flat tool rest (stock) it depends on the piece I'm turning and how close I'm working to the piece! with this tool rest most of the time I do turn off the lathe.
for safety you should always turn off the lathe!;)

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2007, 7:56 PM
Joash, since getting my new lathe (with a cam-lock style tool rest) I have to admit that I often adjust the rest with the lathe running - as long as I can see a clear outline of the wood. When just starting out rough turning - I adjust everything with the lathe off. Once I am comfortable as to where the wood is located I will adjust the rest - slowly - while the lathe is turning.

Joash Boyton
01-12-2007, 7:59 PM
Ok, I was just interested in seeing the replies,I have a very easy adjust-move-and go sort of toolrest, so it's not like I have to 4 different spanners out,and adjust each little bit...if it's offcentre or anything like that, then stopping is a definate, but ifit's just a quick move, nothing drastic, then stoping is not neccesary(IMHO)

Well so far, we have 10, that do, 2 that don't, and 10 that are undecided:p SO looks like there are a few other bad guys eh??:p:D:D

Joash

Mark Pruitt
01-12-2007, 8:17 PM
What Jim said.

Andy Hoyt
01-12-2007, 9:41 PM
I couldn't care less what you do in the privacy of your own shop, Joash; but to advocate an unsafe practice (from whatever perspective it is derived, be it inexperience, arrogance, ignorance, or overconfidence) in a public forum is bad pizza - pure and simple.

Tom Sherman
01-13-2007, 7:03 AM
I agree Andy we all proly have some bad habits no sense teaching them to someone trying to learn the right way.

George Tokarev
01-13-2007, 8:04 AM
One of those things you shouldn't admit to doing, but I wouldn't be too harsh. Take it as a "lifestyle choice," perhaps.

Will adjusting your rest with power on grow hair on your palms?

John Hart
01-13-2007, 8:15 AM
....Will adjusting your rest with power on grow hair on your palms?

Yes. But there is a solution. Introducing the new Norelco Palm Shaver.
8-Hour Full Charge for up to 40 Minutes of Cordless Shaving Time for those times that you just want a quick shave while the lathe is spinning.
LED Charging Indicator Light so you know that the Charge Indicator Light really works.
Hair Collection Chamber Captures Shaven Hair - Keeps unsightly palm hair out of your lacquer.
Electronic On/Off Button - For you electronic gadget freaks
2 Nivea for Men Shaving Lotion and 2 Nivea for Men Gel Cartridges, keeping your hands silky smooth. Better than sandpaper!!!
Protective Razor Head Cap Included - Just discard this right away - you know you'll lose it anyway.

Ted Calver
01-13-2007, 9:06 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong in asking the question. It provides the opportunity to highlight the possible consequences of bad technique. From the results of the poll, lots of us can use the reminder.

Bill Grumbine
01-13-2007, 9:56 AM
I will confess to doing it once in a while, but usually only on a regularly round piece of wood. Most of what I am turning anymore, it is not safe to get my fingers anywhere near the parts of the tool rest close to the lathe if it is running! :eek:

Also, it depends on how well the tool rest and banjo are moving as well. If the lathe bed is gooped up with rust or finish from whatever you are doing, and has not been dressed up lately, it is just asking for trouble to try and move things. The banjo will get stuck, more effort is expended, and the next thing you know, you are sitting in the emergency room. I have not had this happen to me, but I know enough people who have done things like this to know it is real.

Bill

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2007, 10:02 AM
I guess I am as guilty as the next guy. I don't do it all the time but probably half the time I do.

Jim Dunn
01-13-2007, 10:08 AM
As I have an older lathe I have a wrench to move the tool rest closer. So I never do that while the lathe is running. Now swiveling the rest itself is a sometimes affair for me. Dangerous? Darn right, but so is spinny things flying past your head.

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2007, 1:08 PM
Andy, you are right and you got me to thinking. I have only had my new lathe for 2 months now and never even thought about the fact that I was starting to develope an 'unsafe' habit. Sometimes you just need a slap in the face to wake you up a little... thanks!

Scott Donley
01-13-2007, 3:56 PM
I found that if you put a nice edge on your rest you can do away with your roughing gouge :rolleyes: I have to agree with Bill, just because it slides easy last time does not mean it will the next. I will admit to doing it at times when turning pens, even then, not the best idea :(

Paul Geer
01-14-2007, 10:12 AM
I started turning about 1999. Last year, I started to move the tool rest away from the work for a little sanding while the lathe is still running. So, I guess I'm getting too comfortable around the lathe, time for a safety check.

Although, I would like to see a poll on how many of us hold the parting tool in one hand and pair of calipers in the other hand, I see a lot of "old timers" do this.

Including myself. :o

Gary DeWitt
01-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I do, now and then when removing a lot of stock, just a nudge to keep the rest close enough to the work. I think more of us would do this less often if the manufacturers of electronic VS lathes would include a "smart" brake feature, one with user programmable control. I'd like my lathe to stop much faster, but not instantly (I don't always tighten the set screw on my chuck, and would rather not dodge it as it flys by!). Kind of like the soft start they put on routers awhile back. Perhaps it's only a programming function that could be ugraded into current EVS lathes? Any lathe manufacturers listening out there?

Gary DeWitt
01-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah, Paul. You could start that thread if you want to. I've done that a few times, but always feel like the caliper might catch, fly around the spindle and whop me a good one on the hand holding the parting tool. It's a useful technique, though. I've seen open end wrenches sharpened up and used with a peeling cut to make tennons and other sized cuts too.

David Fried
01-14-2007, 3:23 PM
I am a big fat lier. :mad:

I checked I never do it. I put in my 6" tool rest last night and noticed the damaged corner. I remember when I moved the tool rest with the lathe running and caught the spinning chuck. :eek: I'm so glad I damaged the tool rest not the chuck!

I've probably done it since then but only to move the tool rest away from the work and then, rarely. I have enough problems turning without creating new ones.

I'm sure "production" turners do this and many other less than safe things. Just one more reason why I'm not a production turner.

Cody Colston
01-14-2007, 5:21 PM
I do it, frequently. When i first started turning, I never did but then, I watched a Raffan video where he advised against it but did it himself.

So, I started doing it, too. Like anything, one has to use some common sense about it. On unbalanced, irregular or winged pieces, I'd not take the chance. On fairly round pieces, with a round toolrest, there's not much risk involved if one pays attention. Even then, I never place my fingers where they could get trapped.