PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Plunge

John Chandler
01-12-2007, 6:27 PM
Before Thanksgiving I had gotten the idea of turning some fishing lures. My father has a Shopsmith and turns some things now and then. So I went down to visit and he helped me make 3 lure bodies. I had never turned before so this was a new experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I then started to consider purchasing a lathe. I found this forum and have been reading it daily. I have really enjoyed reading the questions and all of the advice and information being exchanged. I have decided to take the plunge. I ordered a Rikon mini-lathe. :D It should be in by the end of this month. I have been checking out stuff I need to get (such as the tools, sharpening equipment, etc.) so when the lathe arrives I’ll be ready to start learning and turning.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 6:29 PM
John.........Welcome to the Creek! and to the Vortex.....It'll suck the money out of your billfold so fast you won't know that it's happened...

Hey Andy.....We got another one!

Keith Burns
01-12-2007, 6:31 PM
Welcome John.

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST

Joash Boyton
01-12-2007, 6:34 PM
Hey, welcome to one of the best things in life:D

Don't worry bout those other guys^^^^ you just gotta have thick skin;):D

Joash

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2007, 9:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek John! Looking forward to your posts and remember - we all like lots of pictures!

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Welcome John to Creek and to one of the best hobbies in life. Watch out though the Vortex will suck your wallet dry.:D

John Chandler
01-13-2007, 12:12 AM
I appreciate the warnings/welcome. While I may not yet know the full magnitude of the vortex, I think I have started feeling the effects. Just trying to get what I deem the initial basics to get started is going to cost 2 or 3 times the cost of the lathe before it is even delivered. But then getting just the basics to get ready for my first son back in 95 cost way more than his delivered price and that is turning out ok. I already have my eye on a table saw that should fit in my space (almost ½ of a garage minus shelf space) but that will have to wait 1 more year. I guess one of the advantages of having a fairly dry wallet to start with means that only so much can get sucked out at one time.

Bill Boehme
01-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Welcome...... fishing lures, you say?

Guys, make sure we set the hook -- looks like a keeper.

Andy get the net!

Bill

Tom Sherman
01-13-2007, 7:22 AM
Congrats and welcome John, don't be alarmed but that TS may never make it into your shop now that you've decided to turn wood...that is unless you need something else to put stuff on.;)

John Hart
01-13-2007, 8:34 AM
I agree with Tom. I'm thinking about replacing my TS with a big box. The pile on the TS is getting unsightly.:D

Welcome to the Black Hole John! May you never escape.;)

Christopher K. Hartley
01-13-2007, 9:12 AM
Welcome John to the creek and while those cool waters sound like a "plunge", well...we like to say: ANOTHER ONE BIT THE DUST!! In either case WELCOME!!:)

Gary DeWitt
01-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Welcome aboard!
Now, if you need to make a choice between a TS and a bandsaw, for space or $ reasons, I'd go for the bandsaw. You will eventually (sooner than you think) want to turn bowls, and a BS is perfect for cutting up blanks into more easily turnable circles.
Also, you CAN ease into this with minimal tools and add slowly as needed. The lathe you ordered, a grinder, some wood, and 3 or 4 cheap HSS tools is all you really must have to get started.
Have fun, this is a great ride.

Robert McGowen
01-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Gas for the car, $50

Fishing pole, $40

Boat expense for the trip, $50

3 homemade, lathe turned lures, $873

You get the idea........... :D

John Chandler
01-13-2007, 1:19 PM
Gas for the car, $50

Fishing pole, $40

You get the idea........... :D

When you look at the cost per fish caught, it sure makes the fish look more valuable.

John Chandler
01-13-2007, 1:34 PM
Welcome aboard!
Now, if you need to make a choice between a TS and a bandsaw, for space or $ reasons, I'd go for the bandsaw. You will eventually (sooner than you think) want to turn bowls, and a BS is perfect for cutting up blanks into more easily turnable circles.
Also, you CAN ease into this with minimal tools and add slowly as needed. The lathe you ordered, a grinder, some wood, and 3 or 4 cheap HSS tools is all you really must have to get started.
Have fun, this is a great ride.

I am getting a grinder - they were out yesterday but should get some more in next week. When thinking of a tablesaw, I was focusing on accuracy of cut for things like chess boards and other things where being a little off makes a difference. Plus I read good reviews of the Bosch 4000-09 that comes with a stand that folds up with the saw still on it to save space while not in use. I had thought of a bandsaw because I am planning on making bowls at some point. Do the bandsaws as straight as a TS? If so, I would rather have a bandsaw. And now that it is mentioned, I may look at getting a BS first and then if I think I need a TS, get one. I have time to sort that out.

Bill Wyko
01-13-2007, 2:49 PM
[quote=Robert McGowen]Gas for the car, $50

Fishing pole, $40

You get the idea........... :D[/quote

That makes Trout about $1013.00 per pound! :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2007, 2:59 PM
[quote=Robert McGowen]Gas for the car, $50

Fishing pole, $40

You get the idea........... :D[/quote

That makes Trout about $1013.00 per pound! :eek:

Bill....that's what you tell your wife...and the logical justification......Honey I want to take up turning or fishing...Here's what trout fishing will cost me....I don't want to spend that kinda money...so I think I'll take turning instead.....Don't you agree honey?:D