PDA

View Full Version : Scrap, Cut-Offs Request

Ed Maloney
01-12-2007, 5:46 PM
My Epilog is finally on order. Negotiated a free stand and an extra year warranty, so I'm all set. Thanks to everyone here I know what compressor and blower that I will purchase, as well as how I will accomplish the venting, among other things.

One thing I don't have at this point is an idea of how to get materials to start practicing on economically. Being a newbie, I don't want to spend a fortune on buying materials at this point since I'll end up butchering all of it while I learn the correct settings.

Sooooo, if there are some folks out there that would like to reduce their scrap piles to help out a newbie, I would really appreciate it. We can discuss logistics via PM. Of course, if someone has other suggestions please let me know as well!

Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
01-12-2007, 6:39 PM
My usual supplier sells scrap pieces by the pound, a lot less than normal SF prices. They are only on the west coast, but there must be a place like that out your way. Unfortunately free acrylic cross country is almost as expensive as buying it as it's heavy to ship. In my case you wouldn't get much, I have a recycler pick them up and 99% are 12x24 skeletons with just the edges and a few thin connecting strips left. I hate to suggest this but I suppose you could even do a weekend dumpster dive out back of the local plastic place:eek:

Dave Fifield
01-12-2007, 7:18 PM
Congratulations on ordering your new laser Ed. Which model did you go for in the end (edit: DUH!! look at his sig Dave!)? You should get a stack of materials samples from various manufacturers with your new laser. I haven't had time to crack open the sample packs that came with my new Epilog recently....will do it sometime soon I'm sure.

Usable sized offcuts are only $1/lb at Tap Plastics. That's pretty cheap! You should try going on the scrounge around your local industrial areas...

Bob Yeager
01-12-2007, 7:38 PM
If you're looking for wood...make some friends with some local cabinet shops. They throw away a lot of "good" stuff I can monkey with. My "favorite" cabinet shop even gives me Corian to play with. Most shops have a big dumpster that they have to pay $$$ to have hauled away to the dump...anything you haul away is just less to go into the dumpster. Narrow pieces can be glued together to make pieces big enough to practice on. Around here, cabinet shops ususlly start their mornings about 7 am and closed by 3:30...you'll want to be there before they throw the stuff into the big dumpster (less dangerous for both you and the shop) they may not allow you go into the dumpster for liability reasons.

Bob

Mike Hood
01-12-2007, 7:58 PM
TAP Plastics is an amazing resource... and you might find a scrap dealer that deals in Acrylic as well. I found one here and both sell for $1/lb

Karin Voorhis
01-12-2007, 8:14 PM
I get a lot of scrap plastic for free at the hardware store from there cut offs. it is good practice stuff.

Keith Outten
01-12-2007, 8:33 PM
Scrap wood is plentifull at most cabinet shops.

Clear acrylic is easy to find, visit your local picture frame shops and ask to purchase their drops (scrap). My last haul was a truck load of extruded acrylic pieces perfect for engraving projects that cost me 20 bucks and must have been over a 300 pound load. I haven't found any place to get a deal on cast or colored acrylic, I have to purchase full sheets at the going rate. The same frame shop has a huge pile of mattboard scraps that I get cheap from time to time. I use mattboard behind mirrors to change the color of the engraving.

Dupont Corian is a bit harder to find but there are top shops who are happy to find someone to haul their drops away rather than them pay to get rid of them. Absolutely gold....Corian is valuable in any size pieces you can grab.

Don't forget you can barter with any shop that has material scraps that are valuable to you, they love to receive engraved pens and plaques in exchange for their drops.

Mike Null
01-12-2007, 9:22 PM
If you'll check Keith's list of suppliers and tell them what you're doing they will send you free samples--especially Johnsons and JDS.

Ed Maloney
01-13-2007, 9:02 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll check out the various vendors and have a go at it. I did get some samples from laserply, but it's only two pieces. Well - Better than nothing!

Vicky Orsini
01-13-2007, 10:57 AM
We get scrap marble and granite for free from a local monument dealer.

John Esberg
01-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I get a lot of scrap plastic for free at the hardware store from there cut offs. it is good practice stuff.

Karin & anyone else near Buffalo, NY,

In the Engraving Material Resources thread I just added the contact info for Advantage Lumber and Trim. They are my best source for inexpensive thin wood. Last time I was there they had a scrap bin of thin wood free for the taking. Next time you're up there I'd go get a tour and pick up some pieces. These guys kick out a lot of great product at a great price, but it also means that they get back logged a bit too. Check them out!

Till later,

DAK

Ed Maloney
01-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I looked though the TAP plastics web site. Couldn't find the cut-offs. Maybe there are just available in store?

Joe Pelonio
01-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Ed,

Yes, they are in a big bin in the store and probably not that cost effective to ship. Of course the sizes, thicknesses and color will vary by store. At my local store in Bellevue, WA they always seem to have mostly clear.

Barbara Buhse
01-13-2007, 9:54 PM
check out the clearance and "irregulars" from JDS. If you don't care about the colors, sometimes you can get really cheap Rowmark plastic to practice with.