PDA

View Full Version : Help on buying a planer

Tullie Templet
01-12-2007, 1:36 PM
I am looking to buy my first planer but I am not looking to spend alot. I am just getting into WW and I am just lookig for a low end model to start. The models I am looking at are Delta tp305 $199.00, Delta TP300R (recon) $199.95, Delta TP400LS $269.01, Grizzly G0505 $239.00 or the craftsman 21758 $249.00. I know with these models I will get snipe but I can overcome it for now. I would just like to know which will be the best value for my money and reviews if anyone has one of these. Thanks alot.

John Michaels
01-12-2007, 1:41 PM
I own the Grizzly 12 1/2 inch planer. I gets the job the done, but I don't think it will stand the test of time. I should have spent about $200 more dollars and purchased the Makita. The most expensive tool is one you have to replace prematurely.

Jim Thiel
01-12-2007, 2:22 PM
You may want to consider future resale value also. Check the auction sites for you models and see how close some of them get to new retail. Some planers hold almost 60% value, while others become anchors and doorstops.

regards, Jim

scott spencer
01-12-2007, 3:03 PM
The TP400LS is the former 22-560 which is a pretty well proven moderately equipped planer. I liked mine alot before I upgraded to the 22-580. Snipe was really minimal, hardly occurred. I still like some features on the 560 better. It has a cutterhead lock, which is critical in reducing snipe...I don't think the TP305 or the Grizzly have one, and I"m not sure about the CMan. It also has an inexpensive (< $20) option for a dust chute. "LS" means it has a leg stand which is always nice.

$270 shipped is a good price for the TP400LS.

http://www.epinions.com/content_55772089988

Dan Gill
01-12-2007, 3:56 PM
I haven't priced one in quite a while, but I have the Ridgid planer, and it has been very good for me. I'll occasionally get some snipe, but it's always operator error.

Jack Ganssle
01-12-2007, 5:52 PM
Dan,

I've looked at the Rigid. Are the knives disposable? If so, what do they cost? I can't find a price anywhere. Are they double-egded?

Thanks,
Jack

Gary Breckenridge
01-12-2007, 6:05 PM
:) I have a Delta 22-580 and I like it. The thing has 2 speeds; one for quick and one for quality. Ask yourself how much wood will be going through the machine, what level of quality finished lumber you want and how many years you will have the planer. :) I had a Ryobi ap10 and was never happy with the thing, excessive snipe and slow.:mad:

Quesne Ouaques
01-12-2007, 8:33 PM
I know it's not on your list, but I have the Delta 22-580 and I would highly recommend it. True, I only paid $315 for it but I was ready to pay more (Lowes allowed me to stack a %15 coupon on top of a holiday price-match from Amazon.com four years ago).

If you can swing it, I think it is a really good quality tool at a decent price. I leave it on the slow speed for all my hardwood work, and it gives a fabulous finish. It also goes very easy on the blades so they last longer. The blades are reversible and can easily be skewed to get rid of the runs you sometimes get from nicks.

I am a hobby woodworker. I skewed the blades after about a year and a half to get rid of some nick marks (~ 1800 bf) and then I flipped the blades about six months later. I am still on the second side of that original set of blades but I'll probably change them soon.

I started following the instructions on the video that came with it (use the cutter lock and lift the board as the edges pass the rollers) and snipe is a non-issue.

Tullie Templet
01-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the responses I got. Seems like there are alot of good people here looking to help. This is by far the best message board I have read as far as helpfulness. I still haven't made up my mind so any more insight is welcomed. Thanks again.

Randall Davis
01-16-2007, 12:02 AM
how about the pelmgren planers?

Dewayne Reding
01-16-2007, 6:57 AM
Welcome Tullie

I wouldn't buy the entry level tools if you can avoid it. You'll end up wishing you could upgrade your entire tool collection in only a few months if you follow that route. Step up to the next level and wait for a deal. Your wait will be short as the bench tool market is very competitive.

Do the math on the cost of wasted wood from a planer that snipes every board. How long before you will have paid for a better planer?

Matt Guyrd
01-16-2007, 8:30 AM
I own the Ridgid and was just thinking this past weekend how well it has served me. I am a hobbyist, but find myself using the planer nearly every weekend. I did quite a lot of research before buying my planer and chose the Ridgid for it's value.

I get great surfaces, the planer comes with a sturdy stand (I added the mobile base from HD, I think for $20), it has a dust chute that will accomodate 2" and 4" vacs/dust collectors, comes with an extra set of knifes that I have yet to use (key is to clean the wood of dirt and debris with wire brush and take light cuts), and a convenient tool storage area on the side. The best bang for the buck, IMHO.

Matt