Mitchell Andrus
01-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Table saw
Loose knot
Ping!

'nuff said

Jim Becker
01-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Indeed. 'Glad to hear said knot was not a sad note on your noggin!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Glad to hear you were wearing them!

Bob Rufener
01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
That was knot good!!!

Jim Thiel
01-12-2007, 2:34 PM
Table saw
Loose knot
Ping!

That sounds like something LOML would say.

Glad you and your hat survived.

Jim

Mitchell Andrus
01-12-2007, 3:08 PM
I only were The Hat on special occasions.

Allen Bookout
01-12-2007, 8:50 PM
I just had cataract surgury and lens replacement on both eyes. I REALLY get tired of hearing all of the safety people pushing all of their "stuff" on us but you will not catch me without eye protection from now on. How wonderful it is to see clearly again.

Kristian Wild
01-12-2007, 8:59 PM
Glad you were wearing your safety glasses. I cut knotty pine every day at work and have had many loose knots bounce off my glasses and forehead. When I have to deal with really ugly material I use a polycarbonate full face shield.

Keith Weber
01-13-2007, 2:00 AM
A few years ago, I was over at a friend's place helping her by installing a new lockset in a door (she's 65). The door frame had to be chiseled out a bit to accept the new receiver plate. I just used my freshly-sharpened 1/2" chisel and used the force of my hand to move it. Between the sharp chisels and the soft pine, it went through it like a knife through butter (no hammer needed). Just as I was finishing up, I used my chisel to cut off a little piece of wood that was sticking out of the plunger hole. I used the palm of my hand to tap the chisel on the stuborn piece.

All of a sudden, there was a pop as what turned out to be a knot under a lot of internal stress let go. It came flying out and hit me in the eye. I covered my eye and ran to the bathroom. I forced the eye open and looked into the mirror. There was a little chunk of wood about 3/16" long stuck into the center of my eyeball like an arrow in a target. I grabbed it with my fingers and pulled it out. It had sunk in pretty good and was very sharp, pointed, and hard.

There was no damage to my vision, but that day I learned that the simplest little tasks that pose no apparent danger could turn on you in a heartbeat. My eyes are critical to my career, so I made a vow that day to always, always, ALWAYS wear safety glasses. I won't even hammer a brad, or drill a hole without them -- no exceptions! I'm so used to wearing them now, that I've discovered in the grocery store that I'm walking around with my safety glasses on my head. Or show up at a friend's place, only to be greeted with "what's with the glasses?"

Keith

Hans Braul
01-13-2007, 6:40 AM
OK you guys are making me feel like a slouch. I need to get back to wearing safety glasses ALL the time. These incidents prove that it's not just during the "high risk" operations that glasses are a good thing.

Regards
Hans

Chris Barton
01-13-2007, 8:43 AM
After having been through a few incidents where I received an injury despite wearing approved eye protection I have gone to using a full face shield about 95% of the time and everytime it saves me an injury I am reminded... Full face protection trumps just eye protection every time.