PDA

View Full Version : support for table pedestal

Larry Crim
01-12-2007, 9:37 AM
Ok here is the ? I have a dining room table Im making using 2 pedistals and a top that seperates with slides the pedestals stay stationary and the top separates, so the question is that I plan to use 3/4" BB ply between the ped and the slides to mount the slides on will this be sufficient for support I also plan to use braces across the bb on top of the pedistals that a althread bolt will go through to secure the pedestal, BB and the base. The top of the table is oval 1-1/8" cherry with a max length open of 84" and a width of 47".
What do you think will the BB be sufficient?
Thanks
Larry

Larry Crim
01-12-2007, 4:40 PM
here is a simple drawing to illistrate what part I was trying to describe. The BB is the one colored and then the slides on top of it. I could use solid wood but thought the BB would be more stable in reference to wood movment.
Larry

Mark Singer
01-12-2007, 4:47 PM
Larry,
I woul double the 3/4 baltic ply...glue them together on a table that is flat

glenn bradley
01-12-2007, 7:01 PM
I agree with Mark (big surprise). Seriously though, I think if you look at commercially built tables you'll see these thicknesses are common in the support structure.

Larry Crim
01-12-2007, 7:35 PM
Thanks mark and glen I wasn't sure and wanted to make sure before I cut the pedestals for the final time, I was concerned originally because the apron will only be 4" and the slides with 1.5" of bb will total just over 4" but since it is under and in below I do not think it will matter in the least.
Thanks Again
Larry

Kristian Wild
01-12-2007, 8:35 PM
I agree too, lam two pieces of 3/4"bb together for the ridgidity you need.

Jim Becker
01-12-2007, 8:41 PM
Larry, be careful using the plywood relative to wood movement...be sure to accomodate it in how you fasten things together. Outside of that, I also agree with the double layer idea if you want to build a flat structure like that.