PDA

View Full Version : Safest lathe features?

Dewayne Reding
01-12-2007, 8:24 AM
Hello guys. I'm a new Creeker putting together his first shop. A lathe was honestly quite a ways down my tool priority list. Until last week that is. As a new WW, I have been subjecting my family to every Wood TV program available and my wife has expressed interest in learning to turn. I wanted to buy a bandsaw and a jointer dang it, but I'd probably be a fool not to encourage her interest in the workshop. She has an "artsy" eye and will probaby be better at turning than me in short order. She has ZERO experience with any tool larger than a screwdriver. I know a tool is only as safe as the operator. That said, are there any safety features I should look for in a beginners lathe, or is it all about proper technique? The budget is going to have to be about $400, so I know I'm not getting too much. Can I get a tool that won't be aggravating to use due to poor quality at that price point?

Joash Boyton
01-12-2007, 8:33 AM
Maybe, you could paraphrase....

Are you looking for safety features to look for? The safest lathe avaliable for $400, or the safest tools to use?

If you could clarify that, you will get better advice:)

Joas

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2007, 9:04 AM
Dewayne, don't know where you are located but if possible take a lesson or two on turning and read, learn, touch everything you can about lathes. There is so much out there it is hard to suggest any one lathe or options without knowing what type of turning you would like to get into.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 9:10 AM
Dewayne.....I'll echo Steve's advice. Check around and have your wife take some lessons say at a local Woodcraft store. Then your wife will get some ideas about whether or not she wants a lathe. You can get a lathe for under $400 but with tools and such.....it'll go over that......I was given a lathe and tools last year ....probably around $1100 worth of stuff......I've spent 3 X that out of my own pocket.....

Dewayne Reding
01-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I guess I am asking two questions.

Is there a hobbyist lathe for $400 that will give acceptable quality results?

And what safety features should I look for in any lathe?

I know I can get a TS for $100 or a drillpress for forty bucks, but not really. I'm just ignorant what an entry level somewhat acceptable lathe costs. There are a few brands I used to trust. But their entry level stuff looks like complete junk to me now.

I am well aware that the sky is the limit when it comes to the accessory tools that go with a lathe. They can come as time goes by if she enjoys it. To my knowledge there is no place anywhere close to here that offers lathe classes. That does sound like fun, unfortunately nothing but the largest chain store retailers.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Dewayne

There are two chapters of the AAW in Iowa, one in Des Moines and one in Davenport. Here's a link to the AAW page that has details:

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List#IA

Finding a mentor at a woodturning club would be the very best thing that you could do.

Bob Opsitos
01-12-2007, 10:50 AM
One of the better "safety" items at least for spindle work, is Sorby's Steb Center or Oneway's Safe Driver. I got the safe driver for multi-axis spindle turning, but I am finding that had I had it sooner learning some tools (skew chisel) would have been less "exciting".

Basically they allow the work to slip if you get a catch, but with enough tailstock pressure, you can still hog off wood.

HTH
Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Dewayne......As per Malcolms advice check into one of the AAW clubs close by.

Turning is inherently dangerous. I work with big fast moving machines daily. I've been working on oil rigs since 1965, repairing radar since 1970, cat scanners since 1976, mr scanners since 1987. In short I work professionally on high power, high voltage electro-mechanical, some cryogenic equipments daily and have done so for nearly 40 years. My nearest turning club is 110 miles away...the nearest Woodcraft store is 110 miles away.....It was still unnerving the first time I took a gouge in my hand and approached the tool rest and a piece of wood turning at 500 rpm spindle style on my lathe. I had no on site teachers...just read some books....watched some videos...It is not the way to learn....it is not for the faint of heart....it can be dangerous!

Other than the easily reached "On-Off" switch....I really can't think of any safety feature differences between lathes other than low speed. Some lathes have a lower slowest speed than other lathes. Having a very low speed is a boon when first starting to turn an out of balanced piece of wood. Once the wood is "rough turned" it is more balanced and speed can be increased.

I'd recommend a book by Keith Rowley - Turning Wood - A Foundation Course.......Read it......Understand it....There are certain rules Rowley estabishes that if followed it is much safer....a more pleasant experience....Get some videos by Raffan ....

If you try turning without some form of training, it can be scarey and dangerous. Even if you aren't harmed, it could prevent a new turner from staying with it long enough to become a turner..a good turner...

As Malcolm advised.....check into one of the local turning clubs.....contact them....attend a meeting....turners by nature are a congenial bunch willing to share any and all knowledge.....I'll bet there are some Creeker turners nearby that would be glad to allow you to watch them turn.....ask questions......and possibly help you learn.......

Gordon Seto
01-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Dewayne,
You are 100% correct.
The safest lathe is not from any manufacturer; it is the operator.
All other wood working power tools, the cutters are moving at a high speed. Most accidents are cuts and loss of body parts; they seldom kill you. Some of them have safety guards to provide some protection.
In lathe work, you are holding the sharp tool in your own hands relatively stationary. The wood is spinning at high speed. When it get loose from the lathe, it could knock you at the head or others close by. That can hurt you real bad.
Especially we like to use those spalted woods which are at various rotting stages. A full face mask and some turning lessons are good investments.
Buying the first lathe without some fist hand learning experience mostly likely leads to the wrong decision. That's why "upgrading the lathe" is so common among us.
Jointing a local club is the best value also. Most of them have library of books, videos for members to check out for free. You may be able to pick up an inexpensive lathe to get your feet wet first. You can make your own decision based on what you want to use your lathe for. Most likely it won't be the same lathe you think you need.
When buying a lathe, don't just compare spec sheet data.
If for any reason, you are unable to take the above suggestion, I would be interested to look at the new Jet 1220. It is a brand new model. But it was based on their successful 1014 mini lathe, which is one of the best entry level lathe. I think Nick Cook does the field test for Jet. Nick Cook has a production stuio and turning school.
If you have to allow some money for tools, then the original Jet mini 1014 for $199 is a bargain when you consider their track record and high resale value.

Gordon

Dewayne Reding
01-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Good deal. I live near Davenport. I bet I could find somebody ready to upgrade their lathe. Nobody really ever told me turning was dangerous before. But it seems there are an unlimited number of ways you can put a tool in a bind.

Don Orr
01-12-2007, 11:40 AM
What Ken said! Education is the best safety measure you can take other than reading the owners manual and understanding the machine.

Have fun,

Rich Stewart
01-12-2007, 1:27 PM
Don't make TOO much of it though. You all scared ME and I been doing it for two years now. Get a lathe, a set of tools, face shield, chuck something up and start touching it with different tools to see what they do. Read all you can. Lots of stuff on the internet. The tools will come later little by little as you find your interests. That being said, I have a Jet mini. I turn bowl up to 8 inches, weed pots, pens, wine glasses. Stuff like that. Now, if you go buy a Poolwood 2000 and mount a 100 pound blank as your first job you probably WILL kill or maim yourself.

Just do it.

John Hart
01-12-2007, 1:42 PM
My Daughters really enjoy making pens and bonkers and bowls on my lathe. They are little girls...but they paid attention to my lessons and ultimately made pieces that they still cherish. The very same lathe makes some fairly sizable pieces that I've miraculously completed as well. You can get one similar for under your budget mark.

Doug Collins
01-12-2007, 1:58 PM
Dewayne,

You mentioned that your wife has little experience with tools. How about mechanical abilities?

You might want to consider the convenience of a variable speed lathe where you can change speed with the turn of a knob rather than the type where you have to move a belt from pulley to pulley. I have the latter with my TurnCrafter Pro from Penn State. I would have preferred the variable speed because it gives you the ability to fine tune the speed. Not that moving the belt is a complicated process, but it's certainly more of a hassle. But the VS does drive the cost up a little.

One of these days when I get my 'grown up' lathe, I'll probably go that route.

Dewayne Reding
01-12-2007, 5:35 PM
The variable speed sounds like a good option. And I don't mean to come off as overly paranoid about this. I just don't want to see her put a cutoff tool in her arm, or have a piece hit her upside the head 15 minutes into this. I've been a mechanic all my life. I know what happens when you screw up with a drill press or a hand held grinder. My newer saws have so many safety features you can't even use the tool anymore. I was just curious what to look for in a lathe.

John Shuk
01-12-2007, 8:14 PM
In my opinion the speed control is the biggest safety feature a lathe can offer.

Bill Boehme
01-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Lathes are mostly the same and don't have any safety features, outside of the things that we take for granted such as a belt guard, grounded frame, and convenient OFF switch. There are no attached rotating cutters -- only a rotating spindle. The way that the lathe is used is completely dependent upon the judgement of the operator. The operator must be knowledgeable of the use of the machine because so many variables are involved: there are a myriad of turning tools, chucks, mandrels, spindle drives, and other attachments. How you mount a piece of wood, its size, balance, and physical condition are all beyond the control of the machine. A lack of understanding of how to use a tool will have a bearing on safety. Using a face shield and breathing protection are also just as important as the other things. Also, not wearing loose clothing and keeping long hair away from spinning wood are important safety issues. Many of these safety issues are also applicable to any rotating machinery. If you understand the consequences of ignoring safe practices then you are well on your way to safely using a lathe as long as you do follow all safety precautions.

Bill

RL Johnson
01-13-2007, 9:42 AM
Dewayne
Before you start spending any money, you need to do a little more research so you can spend your money wisely. Read some books, the library is an excellent resource. Alan Lacer has a great video for getting started. Spend your money on that and it will help you spend your money wisely.
After saying all that, the cost of the lathe has been my least expensive purchase. I found out real quick that tools get dull and I have no grinder nor grinding jig to sharpen the tools correctly. My chuck cost more than my lathe.:eek: I now have more invested in tools that my lathe cost.:D I would buy the best quality lathe that you can afford. I have had a Jet mini for three years now and it has been a very good first lathe. Just need money and room to buy the Powermatic.
Best of Luck in your search, turning has been the most fun hobby I have ever had.