PDA

View Full Version : Need new blower for the laser. is this good?

Karin Voorhis
01-12-2007, 8:17 AM
When I got my laser the sales guy gave me the wrong blower it was so small it did not even have a cfm rating to explain size it fit into the 6" from the 4" cupler. VEry bad and messing clean up just work enough for practice stuff.

I am looking @ this blower and would like to know if this is what I need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94029

I am down until I get a new one any help I would be grateful....

Bob Tate
01-12-2007, 8:24 AM
That looks like the one I have but I got it elsewhere. It has been doing a wonderful job for almost 2 years. I am sure that one will work for you. I have mine at the end of a 20 or so foot run and it pulls very strong at the laser.
Bob

I got mine from Penn State Industries, from their web site. I realize that won't help if you need it quick but they usually have them in stock. Too bad you are so far away, I even have a spare that I got from Grainger. Is there a Grainger Supply near you. They get stuff next day for me.

Ed Maloney
01-12-2007, 8:26 AM
Karin - This is the one I'll be ordering (once it's back in stock, so I guess it won't help you right now):

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dc3xx.html

Joe Pelonio
01-12-2007, 8:27 AM
That's a good price for the power. Just want to make sure you know that you cannot just let it go into the collection bag as you would with a normal power tool, you'd need to remove the bag and run vent pipe outside. The 914 CFM should be enough for about a 30' run if needed, in fact with that much power small light parts you cut may blow out the exhaust.

Bob Tate
01-12-2007, 8:35 AM
I am currently using the one Ed just pointed out, 850CFM. As Joe pointed out, it will indeed suck pieces out of the laser, not just paper, it has actually taken small wood parts also. But it sure keeps the inside of the machine clean.

Karin Voorhis
01-12-2007, 8:39 AM
Thank you so much for the promt answers.

I have less then a 20 foot run and I have a 4" to a 6" vent pipe all setup vented out the window. I just had the small one in the inside of the 6" pipe venting before it just seem to burn out.

I will run out a nd grab this then by the end of tonight I will be back in biz!!!!

THANKS I OWE YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!! SMC IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent Vander Weil
01-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I have an Epilog Mini 12"x18" 35W and I am running a Delta blowerfan unit rated at 550cfm... my run is about 10' to outside vent... anyone here think I am underpowered on ventilation... I can't seem to find any exact CFM specs for the machine online... seems to work ok, but I do notice a little smell when cutting... I just figured that was the nature of the beast... but Karins post got me ta thinkin... which produces yet more smoke!!!

Joe Pelonio
01-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Brent,

You should be fine with that. If you still get smell inside double check your connections. Run your hand around any connections especially from the fan out, and feel for moving air. A very tiny leak can allow in a lot of odor, but is easy to fix with a little caulk or the handyman's secret weapon, duct tape.

Also, if you've been set up a long time, it may be that it's ready for cleaning out, the debris can buildup on the insides of the vent pipe reducing the inside diameter over time.

James Stokes
01-12-2007, 1:13 PM
I have an Epilog Legend, on my laser that blower was to small. I now use a 1650 cubic inch blower. Works much better.

Brent Vander Weil
01-12-2007, 2:03 PM
Thanks for your feedback Joe... I have not noticed an excess build up of smoke inside the laser and when cutting wood and the like you can see the smoke moving off the work fairly quickly toward the back vent...

I think you have a good point... I just moved the laser into the basement and "replumbed" everything so the possibility of a leak inline is a very real possibility... I thought I got them all sealed up with the hose clamps, but there I go thinkin again... LOL

Dave Jones
01-12-2007, 5:35 PM
Make sure your blower is at the wall end of the run, so it's pulling the air, not at the laser end of the run and pushing the air.

Jeff Lehman
01-12-2007, 5:57 PM
I bought one just like it...works very well. I just wish I could find one that wasn't so loud, yet still had the power needed. I have to keep the blower in my workroom (spare bedroom) and vent it out the window also. I live in a log home so I don't want to be cutting any holes in walls :eek:

Jerre Griffin
01-12-2007, 6:44 PM
We built a wooden plenum and installed a used furnace blower inside. Blower vents thru the wall and the 8" tubing from the laser goes into the plenum. Had to put a blast gate in the side of the plenum to better regulate the suction as we also used to have small pieces get sucked out the venting.

Jerre

Dave Fifield
01-12-2007, 7:32 PM
Karin,

That's the exact same blower as I use currently. I put it in a waterproof box outside in my yard (at the end of about 10' of 4" pipe). I plug it in via one of those $30 router speed controller boxes, so I can run it full blast (when I'm doing smelly stuff like acrylic) or variable speed (when I'm cutting tiny marquetry pieces from thin wood veneer). I have used this same blower on all three of the lasers I have owned to date. It works great.

Karin Voorhis
01-12-2007, 8:21 PM
Thanks so much. I got the blower now I just need to install it.
Dave very good tip there I think I will do that ASAP too......