PDA

View Full Version : Extension table or roller stand for table saw?

Dewayne Reding
01-12-2007, 8:11 AM
Assembling and setting up my new Craftsman 22124 Hybrid TS. Largest saw I have ever used. Only apparent shortcoming appears to be the outfeed table which appears WAY too narrow to my unexperienced eye. I don't have a huge shop, but have room for an extension table if necessary. How far should an outfeed table extend past the blade, or table edge? How wide? The saw has a 30" Biesemeyer fence and is about 56" wide total. I'm leaning towards losing the Craftsman extension, and just building an outfeed table, rather than build around it.

BTW, ripping sheet goods will not be a primary use of this saw, but I bought this saw so I could stop doing the scary woodbalancing act with my Dewalt jobsite.

And thanks Scott Spencer for your input on my saw purchase decision on other forums. I'm VERY pleased so far. It's a sweet saw for the price.

S Larkin
01-12-2007, 8:45 AM
I have both. The table is much more useful for a wide variety of jobs. Size of the table? In my case that's always determined by the size of the available wood! Actually, my outfeed table is also folds down so I can move the saw when I need to. That determined the size at about 40 inches from the rear of the blade. Your results may vary.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
01-12-2007, 8:50 AM
There are two common aproaches to this problem. The first is to put a hinged outfeed support table that is mounted to the back of the saw, folding up when needed. There have been many examples of this posted in the past. This option is usually limited by the height of the tablesaw (top to floor height minus the hinging mechanismloss).

The other option is to build a table slightly lower than your tablesaw height and set it behind the saw to act as an outfeed support. Size is only limited by shop space. Some people keep the table free standing and pull it away from the saw and use it as an assembly table. The space under the table can also serve as storage for all manner of stuff like clamps, finishes saw accessories, well you name it! all the weight will make it less mobile or force you to get better casters.

Mac

Jim Becker
01-12-2007, 8:50 AM
I believe that an outfeed table is ultimately more useful, both for the obvious task and for additional assembly space, a place to sort, select and mark lumber for a project, etc. Roller stand have their uses, too, but for me they are not primary. If space is an issue, you can always do a folding outfeed solution like the one I designed that is featured on my web site.

Guy Germaine
01-12-2007, 9:34 AM
I agree with Jim. Here is a crappy picture of my setup. You can see my "outfeed" table/assembly table behind the saw. It's a full sized solid core door that built legs under. It's the same height at my table saw and acts as an outfeed table, assembly table, tool and "things" catcher. :D

I also threw the right-side extension away that came with the saw and built my own router extension.

http://www.fototime.com/75B8D696C096675/standard.jpg

Don Bullock
01-12-2007, 9:36 AM
If you have the space use an outfeed table. There are many designs that incorporate storage under the top. In the February 2007 Woodworkers Journal there are plans and directions for an all-purpose cart that can be used as an outfeed table in the Powermatic center insert ad. In my small shop I don't have a choice so I use rollers. If I had the space I'd make one like the one in the ad.

Dewayne Reding
01-12-2007, 9:48 AM
An outfeed table it will be then. Thanks for the pictures. The door is a good idea Guy. With my rookie skills, a plywood table will be warping all over the place. I should be able to go at least 24" past the table edge before I start crowding my benches against the wall

Ted Miller
01-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a Laguna TS so my outfeed table is 7' wide and 8' long, 1x4 and 3/4" MDF now my shop/garage is small, but I have no where to to keep my sheet stock so I built a 2x6 with 3/4 MDF base under the outfeed table sitting on the concrete floor for sheet storage then I also added 7' 2x3s attaching to the 4x4 legs about 7" below the top of the table to support my 5x5 BB panels. My outfeed table is pretty much my whole shop, I am still able to rip 8' sheets since I built a small infeed stand to support the 8' sheets til I can get behind the sheet after its made a few inches into the blade...

glenn bradley
01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
My outfeed is a rolling worktable that serves many purposes. It stands just enough below the TS top to allow the miter bar to clear. I chose this over dados in the table top as it works better for my methods. I never put the supplied outfeed on my zipcode saw.

Harley Lewis
01-12-2007, 11:43 AM
I really have issues with space for a regular outfeed table, the fold down is something I will make one of these days. For years I have used an ironing board and it works great on typical solid wood or already cut sheet goods. It is adjustable, nice and long so a longer board will not tip off, and it stores against the wall. You can buy them at a Wal*Mart for under $10.

Robert Mahon
01-13-2007, 8:01 AM
Guy,
I like the solid-core door idea.
But, where do you get one for less than the cost of the saw?
All those I've found are $$$$$$$.

Andrew Shaber
01-13-2007, 10:11 AM
I prefer an outfeed table. I like it as close to the saw top as possible because it can catch everything. I've seen some with a large gap and if your workpiece is flexible, it could catch on the table. And, small pieces can fall off which is why I built the table in the first place.

Guy Germaine
01-14-2007, 7:12 AM
I bought this one at Lowes. It has a damaged corner on it, and I got it for $50.

Rich Engelhardt
01-14-2007, 7:30 AM
Hello Dewayne,
My "newbie" .02 on rollers.
They make an excellent aid for unloading sheet goods from the back of my van. I set them up and slide the sheet goods out across the rollers onto a set of sawhorses where I can get at them easier to carry them into the garage.

They (at least the cheapies I have) stink for use as much else, and can be a real safety hazard.

I was ripping a piece of wood that got hung up on the roller somehow, and the roller "heaved" up as it started to fall over.
I was caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. I couldn't back the wood out because the of the anti kickback prawls, and continuing on with the cut wasn't possible either. I was too far back from the on/off switch to be able to reach it due to the length of the wood I was ripping. I manged to hit the on/off switch with my foot, but not before doing quite a bit of sweating.

Doug Shepard
01-14-2007, 8:07 AM
For a fold-down type, the HTC model isn't a bad way to go. I stuck one on my PM66 and just wish I'd done it sooner. I noticed the new Grizly catalog has some too (may be HTC anyway?).
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18250

Dewayne Reding
01-14-2007, 8:25 AM
Laminate the top of the extension table so the stock will slide nice? Or is that over-engineering? Something I am quite famous for around these parts. :)