PDA

View Full Version : Large Jarrah HF.....my competition entry

Joash Boyton
01-12-2007, 7:28 AM
Hey ya'll:D Thanks for looking at my latest piece.

Here is what I have worked on for a while.....it is a solid block of Jarrah, it has all the features of a good old block of Auzzie Jarrah;) ranging from Ripples, to a small burl.

This is a very large piece....it is 390mmx240mm.....and for the few americans on here:P it is 15.354 330 709" by 9.448 818 898" high:D......a little easier....it is 15.3"x9.4" high:D

It was sanded to 1200 grit, I wanted to go to 2500, but did'nt have sufficinet supplies:mad: :rolleyes: But, I'm happy with the finish acheived. The inside has been sanded to 1200 grit, and has been finished with a "paint on high gloss" I did'nt want a high gloss, and I did'nt want the streak marks, so I poured some in there, put an old sock over my hand, and stuck my hand in there at 800RPM:D Well, after a few bruises from the rim, I was able to get a nice finish on the inside, something that has'nt coloured the wood, and creates a soft luster.....

It was rough turned, from a sopping wet block of Jarrah. I went as thin as I dared, right down to an even thickness of 2mm, or 0.078".....the thinnest I've ever gone. (after it was rough turned) It is totally dry, but WOW!! getting to the end, my 1" bowl gouge was hanging 7" over the tool rest I was having the most biggest dig-in's I had ever had!!....I have a 35" handle on my gouge, so I put the handle under both my arms, and did the finishing cuts!! It worked reeeeally well:D

The base is Marri, the lid, is "Very Highly Figured" Camphor laurel, and the finial is ebony. I have put burn marks in a few places, because I like them, and pieces with burn marks, have always gone down well with the customer.

This piece will be entered into the "Turning to the future" competition held by the AAW.:)

Apologies on the Photo quality:eek:

All critique please

Regards from
Perth/Australia
Joash

Jim Dunn
01-12-2007, 7:31 AM
That's a blue ribbon HF if I ever saw one. Real nice Joash.

Joash Boyton
01-12-2007, 8:10 AM
Thanks Mr. Dunn, I hope so:D

Here are a few more photos....of the base, and some better photos to bring out the grain colour.

Joash:)

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2007, 9:14 AM
Very nice work Joash! Nice form, good detail work, beautiful wood color combinations and a great finish. You should do well in the competition! Best of luck to you!!

Jonathon Spafford
01-12-2007, 5:07 PM
Hey Joash... you rule! Once again you've turned out another beautiful piece of work. You deserve to win!!!!

Pete Jordan
01-12-2007, 5:12 PM
Tell the others to go home! Great job!

Joash Boyton
01-12-2007, 5:25 PM
Thanks everbody for your comments, I hope it wins, but I hope there's some competition to;):D

Thanks,

Joash

Danita Clark
01-12-2007, 8:25 PM
You're forever amazing me with the pieces you turn Joash! I love them all... But this one does definitely deserve a Blue ribbon!!!:)
Very impressed!!!
Danita
P.S. Good luck with the competition too!;)

Joash Boyton
01-12-2007, 8:46 PM
Thanks Danita!!:D

I'd like to introduce Danita, my friend, and a wood-worker:)^^

Joash

Christopher K. Hartley
01-13-2007, 9:31 AM
Great work Josh! Love seeing your stuff!! :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2007, 9:57 AM
Beautiful Joash. I like the form and finish. By the way welcome Danita to SMC. Hope to see some of your work soon as Joash said you are a woodworker.

Joash Boyton
01-13-2007, 6:33 PM
By the way welcome Danita to SMC. Hope to see some of your work soon as Joash said you are a woodworker.
Danita will be doing an intro with some of her work soon:)