PDA

View Full Version : Biesmeyer / Vega / Uni Fence.

Clint Winterhalter
01-12-2007, 1:01 AM
I'm kicking tires on table saws. Amazon has some killer deals. I'm familiar with the biesmeyer fence. I'd love to hear some opinions on the unifence. My current saw has a Vega set up. If I bought the Delta with the Unifence should I keep it or swap my Vega for it. I'm not familiar with the Uni fence set up..

Let me know what you think..

Clint

Randy Rhine
01-12-2007, 2:19 AM
I like the Unifence because it's more adjustable. Can also be used in horizontal mode, which is useful at times. The downside is that if you use it on the left side of the blade, the fence needs to be sawpped to the other side, which takes a minute or two.

randy

I'm kicking tires on table saws. Amazon has some killer deals. I'm familiar with the biesmeyer fence. I'd love to hear some opinions on the unifence. My current saw has a Vega set up. If I bought the Delta with the Unifence should I keep it or swap my Vega for it. I'm not familiar with the Uni fence set up..

Let me know what you think..

Clint

Dan Forman
01-12-2007, 3:14 AM
I like my Unifence for the adjustability (square to the table as well as the blade), but the one drawback is the shape of the fence itself, which makes it somewhat difficult to attach aux fences and a fixtures. I am anticipating delivery tomorrow of a Uni-T-Fence (see link below), which will replace just the fence portion, which you can see in this link. It should be a lot easier to use accessories than the original shape. I haven't used any of the other high end fences, so don't have much to compare to.

http://www.ttrackusa.com/unifence.htm

One nice feature of the stock Uni, which won't be changed by the new addition, is that you can slide the fence forward or backward as needed. For cutting large items, you can slide it closer to you, giving maximum support to the material before the blade, which is very helpful. With the addition of the Uni-T, I think this will be the ideal system.

Dan

scott spencer
01-12-2007, 7:04 AM
Hi Clint - I've owned the Biese and a Vega and liked them both...I could live with either one, but I wouldn't swap my Biese for a Vega. The Biese is more robust. The Vega works fine, is easy to install, and has a nice microadjust feature, but I just don't think it's built to quite the same level.

Never tried a Unifence other than in a store.

Jim Becker
01-12-2007, 8:56 AM
If I had the choice between the typical Biesemeyer fence and the UniFence....I'd love to go back to the UniFence, especially with the availability of after-market products that relieve the challenge of jigging. The Unifence's ability to be low or high brings some very nice versatility when cutting thin material and the way it slides back means you can use it as a crosscutting stop without having to clamp a board and adjust the fence setting in your head. Etc. It's just as rock-solid as the Biesemeyer style.

Admittedly, this is a personal preference thing and the Xacta fence I've been using for six years has also been a pleasure to use and work with. But the Uni still has a special place for me...I enjoyed it the best. (The good news for me is that the Euro slider that is going to be in my shop has a fence system similar to the Uni...)

Joel Ficke
01-12-2007, 9:35 AM
Dan,

Thanks for the link. I agree that this fence upgrade will make the Unifence ideal. Can't wait!

Paul Stroik
01-12-2007, 9:39 AM
I have the uni-fence and am planning to upgrade to the uni-T-fence for its jig attachment capabilities as well.